gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:53:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What actually happened to Dennis' aborted solo album in '72?  (Read 4868 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2020, 06:19:27 AM »

As much as I love "Cool Cool Water", in strictly commercial terms none of these songs saved Sunflower eventually.

Lenny Waronker's a big fan of Brian's more artsy, suite-y stuff...he wanted something modular, something akin to "Good Vibrations" for Sunflower, so Brian and Mike came up with "Cool Cool Water". Later, he wanted something modular, akin to "Heroes And Villains" for Brian Wilson '88, so Brian and Andy came up with "Rio Grande". I think this is a rare case of a label exec wanting something substantially arty, more than commercial.

Speaking of which I’ll never understand why the single version chopped off the first half of the song. To me it made it a bit disjointed

At 5:03, the album version was considered too long for AM radio play - the edited 3:23 timing would have been much more palatable for those radio stations. Still didn't make a difference, though, as the only airplay it could possible get was FM - especially considering how the single version started with a chant which undoubtedly was far too "weird" for AM!

On the same topic, someone just posted on the Steve Hoffman Forums board their thought that perhaps "This Whole World" would've failed as a single, even had it been the A-side, in part because it was too SHORT!  Meaning, at under 2:00, potential buyers would've felt short-changed, as if they weren't getting enough value for their 50 cents, or however much 45s were selling for in 1970. Interesting thought that I'd never considered! Guess we'll never know.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2020, 07:18:58 AM »

As much as I love "Cool Cool Water", in strictly commercial terms none of these songs saved Sunflower eventually.

Lenny Waronker's a big fan of Brian's more artsy, suite-y stuff...he wanted something modular, something akin to "Good Vibrations" for Sunflower, so Brian and Mike came up with "Cool Cool Water". Later, he wanted something modular, akin to "Heroes And Villains" for Brian Wilson '88, so Brian and Andy came up with "Rio Grande". I think this is a rare case of a label exec wanting something substantially arty, more than commercial.

Speaking of which I’ll never understand why the single version chopped off the first half of the song. To me it made it a bit disjointed

I'd be willing to bet that Brian conceived the 1970 half as its own new version of the song. It has a complete internal structure - a verse of sorts, a chorus, a series of bridge sections, and then a reprise of the verse material for a long coda, ending up at 3 minutes. Looking at it in that context tagging the two 1967 sections on the front seems like more of an afterthought, and even including some of the drone chant in the single edit feels a bit weird.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:20:01 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx