gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:09:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar analysis episode - In the Back of My Mind  (Read 1039 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2020, 06:04:04 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcjPipZQV-E

Finally a new video.

It's been awhile.  This is mostly some thoughts but also an analysis of Billy Strange's great guitar part on In the Back of My Mind.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 06:35:46 PM »

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about all this happening and I hope things get better all around! I was wondering why there haven't been any new entries recently.

And on that I'll say that it can be comforting to know how many people you make happy with these videos, how much education you provide, and how many smiles are on their faces after hearing something they had never heard before in a song which they have known for decades. Often times the irony of being a musician (and artist in general) is how much sheer joy we can bring to people while having our own issues both to deal with and also shoulder those which are on our minds and weighing on our souls heavily as we're busy creating and sharing for others. You mentioned very accurately the appeal of Brian Wilson for a lot of us, and it never ceases to amaze me how a man with that much turmoil in and around himself could create such beautiful and uplifting music to make people happy...and I think trying to understand that about him helps us to understand ourselves too. And it makes the music that much more of a healing force, an elixir, an escape...whatever it can be labeled beyond the sheer joy of listening to true art through music.

This video made me want to go back to the song and listen again, and of course await the next entries in this series. And in doing so, I know it will put a smile on my face during some very unsettled times for me as well...so thank you for that! Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Great how you sussed out those jazz chords - Not your standard I IV V surf rock by any means  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 04:36:51 PM »

Sorry to hear about your tough times, Joshilyn.

Thanks for the update and interesting introduction to the track, I'm looking forward to the follow-ups!

Watch out for snakes!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 06:22:37 PM »

Thanks much, Joshilyn. So sorry to hear of the setbacks and difficulties you've been dealing with lately; hoping things will smooth out ASAP and that Missy will be her old self again.

We'll all look forward to your upcoming elaborations on "In the Back of My Mind," that amazing direct precursor to PET SOUNDS.

While we await that, we're fortunate to have the instrumental backing track for it readily available on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuUtWOPzSeE

Aren't we all glad that Brian stuck with it that night when things weren't starting out so well...it surely turned around in a big, big way!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx