gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:31:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Majik Rain Orchestra - cosmic Frequency  (Read 8806 times)
AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2020, 03:40:02 PM »

My Pet Sounds...  Grin

https://themajikrainorchestra.bandcamp.com/releases

I’m working on these songs... I still have to record the vocals.

Cheers

Guillaume
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 06:49:28 PM »

My Pet Sounds...  Grin

Cheers

Guillaume

I love what you are doing so far!  I can't wait to hear the vocals!

EoL

AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:07:28 AM »

Thank you!  It’s a fun project, an impossible task. I’ve already done the Beatles Cheesy . This one is for me.
AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:07:51 AM »

Thank you!  It’s a fun project, an impossible task. I’ve already done the Beatles Cheesy . This one is for me.
AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:09:15 AM »

Oops...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 02:33:16 AM »

My Pet Sounds...  Grin

Cheers

Guillaume

Dude....that’s brilliant.

And they work just fine without vocals, so I’m stoked to hear what you come up with!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 06:26:35 AM »

Thank you! Track 6,10 and 12 are instrumentals. I think 12 is more 67 Smile than 66 Pet sounds. Three instrumentals is a bit too much. If you already like this, You will like the melodies,, it’s always the toughest part of the game, finding  good vocal lines over complex chords sequences. Brian was so good...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 07:21:28 AM »

Seriously, you could've added some static to these songs, claimed you found some acetates of lost Brian Wilson tracks, and I would've believed it. Definitely the best emulation of Brian's Pet Sounds style I've ever heard.

'Away' is like a perfect coupling of Henry Mancini and The Beach Boys. I absolutely love this whole album.

I found myself singing my own melodies to some of these songs since there are no vocals yet haha. Phenomenal work!

How did you record the orchestral parts? Are those with actual instruments or MIDI? Sounds like actual orchestral instruments to my ears.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 07:27:32 AM »

Thank you.

I’ve played everything except  a couple of drum tracks and the strings, woodwind and brass  parts.

As I’ve said before, it’s nothing but a great challenge. I won’t do it a second time so it has to be perfect to my ears.

I’ve always wonder why there wasn’t more soundalike Pet sounds songs. You can find dozens of beatlesque tunes for any of their albums. Even Brian changed its style after 66. The song Jill by Gary Lewis is a rare exception. Same musicians, same studio, almost same year...

I will probably use pre-sales to help press some records.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:42:30 AM by AVOM » Logged
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »

Very nice! Glad to have found it recommended on another thread. What led you to relase them as a work-in-progress? Do you have all the vocal melodies written out or are you still composing them?

How did you build up the tracks?

Kudos for a great job
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 05:18:52 PM »

I'm only a few tracks in so far, and I'm stunned. Amazing work! The production and arranging are top notch, as is the songwriting and especially the chord choices. You've captured something in the texture of this music that Brian had in his own, a texture which others can try to use the same orchestrations and sounds but not get the cohesive whole. Very, very nice.

Whether intentional or not, the chord changes (one sequence in particular), descending lines, and rolling triplet/shuffle feel in "Someone Like You" reminded me of the great lost Monkees track "All Of Your Toys", and anything or anyone who does that gets my highest compliments.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 12:40:53 AM »

Very nice! Glad to have found it recommended on another thread. What led you to relase them as a work-in-progress? Do you have all the vocal melodies written out or are you still composing them?

How did you build up the tracks?

Kudos for a great job
Thanks, I work on my own and sometimes I need to know whether i'm still going in the right direction. I have almost all of the vocal melodies written. I’m beginning the work on the vocals this week. I need to complete some lyrics. I know the vocals are gonna be a hard task... I really like what I have already done but sometimes the melodies are hard to follow. I know where they have to go but I can’t sing them. It’s frustrating. Like these high falsetto on I get around or Let him run Wild, the melodies can’t go anywhere else.
Anyway, I can sing them but alas, I’m not Carl or Brian.

Usually, I write the chords and the vocal melody together avoiding the obvious choices. I try to find something interesting in the bass with my left hand and then I find a smooth modulation to change the key within the song and when the chorus ends I try to lend on my feet again.
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 04:37:44 PM »

I know this is easier to suggest than to do it (and no, I'm not postulating mysfelf for the task), but, If you need other voices than yours, you should go the extra mile to find them, to do justice to your work. I've been listening on Spotify to The Pen Pal Club, a Japanese band with a havy Sixties fixation (I learnt of them because they did "Melt Away"). The albums are very well done, with a heavy ratio of covers. But them beign of the "Stack-on/twofer" mentalilty, they like to feature both mono and stereo mixes of every album, as well as backing and vocals-only tracks. And I was very dissapointed when I heard the notorious autotuning on the vocal arrangements. Bottom line: they should have find better singers. Sorry if I'm rambling (most certainly I am) but don't sacrifice the melodies or the vocal timbres: your work is very promising for that to happen.

Anyway, keep up the great work.

PS. but going back to my original question: Do you start tracking a keyboard part along with a metronome, even if that keyboard may end up erased after the other instruments are stacked?
AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 04:49:52 AM »

I think I will sing them myself...It’s too complicated to find some other singers and they won't be as invested as i am right now. It’s a lot of work to make things perfect and I can be quite picky sometime.

To answer your question, I start with a basic programmed drumbeat or simple percussions and the I add the organ (Elka Panther) or the guitar (telecaster, jazzmaster, jaguar and Gretsch 12 strings)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 10:18:39 PM »

How are the vocals coming along?  Shall I get Tony Asher on the line to help with the lyrics?  Wink

Sounds Of Yore
Smiley Smile Newbie

Yesterday, today was tomorrow

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 07:45:42 AM »

I've listened through the songs and it sounds really great! Keep up the good work  Smiley

AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 12:00:26 PM »

How are the vocals coming along?  Shall I get Tony Asher on the line to help with the lyrics?  Wink

Grin
You know I'm french, so those damn  lyrics don't come easy.
This one has words...

https://themajikrainorchestra.bandcamp.com/track/rosa-2

I wasn't satisfied with the result and I'm still not satisfied. I still hear some flat notes here and there.
But I'm really proud of the backing tracks. Sad

I should have plagiarised Ronny & the Daytonas, it would have been easier?
AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2022, 02:55:31 PM »

Hey!
The album is coming soon... This one is complete.
a "That's not me" vibe on this one  Smokin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOvN5Rn7zOQ
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2022, 12:22:44 PM »

Wow. It really sounds like a Brian Wilson composition/production. The vocals are amazing - as are the lyrics. They're just right.

Can't wait for the full album!! How is it coming along?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2022, 06:37:21 AM »

(Two months later) Thank you! I thought I would finish the album before the end of summer. But I still have to record a couple of horns. And I’ve got a problem with a song, The vocals are a bit to high for my range, and I sound a bit like Michel Polnareff (for those who know, Lettre à France)
Anyway, i will find a way to fix it. I’m really proud of half of the songs. The other half is ok.
So October is the next goal!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 07:56:10 AM »

(Two months later) Thank you! I thought I would finish the album before the end of summer. But I still have to record a couple of horns. And I’ve got a problem with a song, The vocals are a bit to high for my range, and I sound a bit like Michel Polnareff (for those who know, Lettre à France)
Anyway, i will find a way to fix it. I’m really proud of half of the songs. The other half is ok.
So October is the next goal!

Thank you for the update, I am looking forward to hearing the completed songs.

EoL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2022, 03:23:36 AM »

I haven't visited this section in ages. But I certainly came up trumps this time. These are sensational, Guillaume. The one that sticks in my mind the most is the stamping "Reverberation", although every track is pretty blissed out.

Good luck with those vocals! That said, the tracks sound fantastic in themselves, so I hope you leave them up after uploading the vocal versions. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2022, 05:24:06 PM »

I haven't visited this section in ages. But I certainly came up trumps this time. These are sensational, Guillaume. The one that sticks in my mind the most is the stamping "Reverberation", although every track is pretty blissed out.

Good luck with those vocals! That said, the tracks sound fantastic in themselves, so I hope you leave them up after uploading the vocal versions. Wink
Thank you!

https://youtu.be/NBg965GkuF4

Reverberation with vocals… is now titled " Do you remember?"
AVOM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2023, 12:40:36 AM »

The album is out. Streaming links here:

https://music.imusician.pro/a/ohDz3fR4/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx