gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
660557 Posts in 26465 Topics by 3770 Members - Latest Member: robertscool August 09, 2020, 04:59:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Majik Rain Orchestra - cosmic Frequency  (Read 404 times)
AVOM
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2020, 03:40:02 PM »

My Pet Sounds...  Grin

https://themajikrainorchestra.bandcamp.com/releases

Iím working on these songs... I still have to record the vocals.

Cheers

Guillaume
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 06:49:28 PM »

My Pet Sounds...  Grin

Cheers

Guillaume

I love what you are doing so far!  I can't wait to hear the vocals!

EoL

AVOM
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:07:28 AM »

Thank you!  Itís a fun project, an impossible task. Iíve already done the Beatles Cheesy . This one is for me.
AVOM
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:07:51 AM »

Thank you!  Itís a fun project, an impossible task. Iíve already done the Beatles Cheesy . This one is for me.
AVOM
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:09:15 AM »

Oops...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
The Dr. of Wilsonomics
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 fear2stop.bandcamp.com ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 02:33:16 AM »

My Pet Sounds...  Grin

Cheers

Guillaume

Dude....thatís brilliant.

And they work just fine without vocals, so Iím stoked to hear what you come up with!

RIP Daniel Dale Johnston ( 1961-2019)

"I've never heard such ear-pleasing screams before!"

https://fear2stop.bandcamp.com/album/dance-of-the-dead
AVOM
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 06:26:35 AM »

Thank you! Track 6,10 and 12 are instrumentals. I think 12 is more 67 Smile than 66 Pet sounds. Three instrumentals is a bit too much. If you already like this, You will like the melodies,, itís always the toughest part of the game, finding  good vocal lines over complex chords sequences. Brian was so good...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 07:21:28 AM »

Seriously, you could've added some static to these songs, claimed you found some acetates of lost Brian Wilson tracks, and I would've believed it. Definitely the best emulation of Brian's Pet Sounds style I've ever heard.

'Away' is like a perfect coupling of Henry Mancini and The Beach Boys. I absolutely love this whole album.

I found myself singing my own melodies to some of these songs since there are no vocals yet haha. Phenomenal work!

How did you record the orchestral parts? Are those with actual instruments or MIDI? Sounds like actual orchestral instruments to my ears.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site
AVOM
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 07:27:32 AM »

Thank you.

Iíve played everything except  a couple of drum tracks and the strings, woodwind and brass  parts.

As Iíve said before, itís nothing but a great challenge. I wonít do it a second time so it has to be perfect to my ears.

Iíve always wonder why there wasnít more soundalike Pet sounds songs. You can find dozens of beatlesque tunes for any of their albums. Even Brian changed its style after 66. The song Jill by Gary Lewis is a rare exception. Same musicians, same studio, almost same year...

I will probably use pre-sales to help press some records.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:42:30 AM by AVOM » Logged
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »

Very nice! Glad to have found it recommended on another thread. What led you to relase them as a work-in-progress? Do you have all the vocal melodies written out or are you still composing them?

How did you build up the tracks?

Kudos for a great job
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 05:18:52 PM »

I'm only a few tracks in so far, and I'm stunned. Amazing work! The production and arranging are top notch, as is the songwriting and especially the chord choices. You've captured something in the texture of this music that Brian had in his own, a texture which others can try to use the same orchestrations and sounds but not get the cohesive whole. Very, very nice.

Whether intentional or not, the chord changes (one sequence in particular), descending lines, and rolling triplet/shuffle feel in "Someone Like You" reminded me of the great lost Monkees track "All Of Your Toys", and anything or anyone who does that gets my highest compliments.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
AVOM
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Today at 12:40:53 AM »

Very nice! Glad to have found it recommended on another thread. What led you to relase them as a work-in-progress? Do you have all the vocal melodies written out or are you still composing them?

How did you build up the tracks?

Kudos for a great job
Thanks, I work on my own and sometimes I need to know whether i'm still going in the right direction. I have almost all of the vocal melodies written. Iím beginning the work on the vocals this week. I need to complete some lyrics. I know the vocals are gonna be a hard task... I really like what I have already done but sometimes the melodies are hard to follow. I know where they have to go but I canít sing them. Itís frustrating. Like these high falsetto on I get around or Let him run Wild, the melodies canít go anywhere else.
Anyway, I can sing them but alas, Iím not Carl or Brian.

Usually, I write the chords and the vocal melody together avoiding the obvious choices. I try to find something interesting in the bass with my left hand and then I find a smooth modulation to change the key within the song and when the chorus ends I try to lend on my feet again.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx