gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680720 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:20:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Skrillex & Bruce Johnston in the News  (Read 2571 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2020, 03:17:47 PM »

https://edm.com/news/skrillex-bruce-johnston-the-beach-boys-studio-session

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 03:36:44 PM »

I absolutely hope this means we'll get another "Here Comes The Night" remix: Dubstep Edition.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 03:49:28 PM »

Looks like Bruce added some backing vocals for Skrillex - with a Shure 57 no less. Wonder if that track will end up on a full tune. Gotta admit, it's strange to not see Bruce in a studio with Mike...but I kinda wish Bruce would do more recording on his own, apart from touring with Mike.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 04:07:36 PM »

Wasn’t there that story with VDP watching skrillex pour beer on his laptop...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 04:24:27 PM »

Interesting.... course as an EDM artist myself I’m quite intrigued.

Note: if anyone affiliated with Brian is reading this...I have a track too 😎

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 05:01:13 PM »

Man I totally forgot about this LOL I remembered he worked with VDPs but I forgot about the absurdity of it. Did anything ever come of that collaboration?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 07:07:19 PM »

Interesting development, given that Bruce gave a shout out to what I thought are a rather obscure electronic group ('Knower') in this interview from the other week
www.mixcloud.com/rileypromo/artist-spotlight-podcast-series-bruce-johnston/

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 07:13:47 PM »

Man, Bruce plays dumb being Mike’s sidekick on tour.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 08:38:00 PM »

Man, Bruce plays dumb being Mike’s sidekick on tour.

Yeah, similar to Paul Winchell and Jerry Mahoney.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 11:31:01 PM »

"Wipe Out" playing in my head...
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 08:05:52 AM »

It’s a new Surfin for the 60 years.
Ya know, cause the one made for 30 years was just an absolute masterpiece.
Sad we’ll never hear Surfin at 40
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 11:18:51 AM »

Man I totally forgot about this LOL I remembered he worked with VDPs but I forgot about the absurdity of it. Did anything ever come of that collaboration?

From Wikipedia (big thanks to whoever wrote all that up):

In August 2011, Parks was contacted by electronic musician Skrillex, who requested that he supply orchestral arrangements. Parks admitted in 2013, "When Skrillex called me up, I'd never heard of him. I pretended I knew who he was. "'Send me the piece, and if I feel able, I'll do it.' I don't have any hobbies, you know. I love music; I do it everyday [sic]. And he said, 'Oh, thank you, Mr. Parks. We will destroy the world.' I said, 'Okay...' I Google him and there he is, on YouTube, in front of 30,000 people, pouring beer onto a laptop computer, at which point the crowd jumps into the mosh pit and has an erection....I have two things I can do: Run away from all this in horror because I'm so superior, or dig in and serve and try to bring hope to the hopeless. That can be done behind the curtain, and that's where I'm very comfortable working....I treat every job as if it were the very thing that will define me. Nothing is beneath me. I think that is evident to people who ask my best."[47] His arranging work was released in December 2011 as the iTunes-exclusive bonus track "Skrillex Orchestral Suite by Varien" on the Bangarang EP.

his description of the mosh pit LOL

I don't think I ever knew that anything was released from that collaboration. You can hear a sample of the track here - really not sure what exactly VDPs did for this track:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/skrillex-orchestral-suite-by-varien-bonus-track/491596645?i=491596733

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 11:57:47 AM »

VDP is amazing! LOL LOL LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 12:20:46 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nNDYNkF3LBs

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx