gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:53:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'All I Wanna Do' Mystery Lyrics  (Read 15809 times)
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »

Does Dennis participate in this song in any way?

Yes, Dennis sings on it according to c-man and the new ESQ.
I've mentioned this to Craig, and I don't think he's there. There are 5 vocal parts on those tracks and none are unique to Dennis, so unless he's in unison with Al or Mike (and I don't hear that being the case, those two are pretty weak in the blend) I'm pretty sure it's everyone but him. There's no tracksheet evidence for who is or isn't singing on the backing vocals beyond listening. Hopefully a vocals-only mix in the near future'll clear it up.

Edit: Far as I can tell, Brian's singing a high 'oooo', Al has a 'do-do-do-do' scat part harmonising above the guitar riff, Carl's got his mystery line, Bruce is singing the 'all I wanna do' refrain, and Mike is singing those same words beneath him with a different rhythm.

Extra edit: Isolated it a bit and now I'm starting to think Carl sings "if you get lonely in the night I'd wanna be with you [pause] oh"...? Full melody is virtually the same as "sure as the sun will come around again to start off another day."

Thanks Salty for the info. I’ll have to look at this when I listen again now that you’ve broken it down for us.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2020, 03:57:22 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:39:40 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2020, 05:18:58 AM »

Does Dennis participate in this song in any way?

Yes, Dennis sings on it according to c-man and the new ESQ.
I've mentioned this to Craig, and I don't think he's there. There are 5 vocal parts on those tracks and none are unique to Dennis, so unless he's in unison with Al or Mike (and I don't hear that being the case, those two are pretty weak in the blend) I'm pretty sure it's everyone but him. There's no tracksheet evidence for who is or isn't singing on the backing vocals beyond listening. Hopefully a vocals-only mix in the near future'll clear it up.

Yeah, I've never heard Dennis in there, but someone here mentioned that they could, so I deferred to that and put him in the credits.
bridencar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2020, 06:19:51 AM »

I tried to post the lyrics from the Sunflower/Surfs up songbook but I have no clue how to do it... I took a picture but don’t know how to post it!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2020, 12:14:05 PM »

I tried to post the lyrics from the Sunflower/Surfs up songbook but I have no clue how to do it... I took a picture but don’t know how to post it!

Is there anything interesting lyrically that's isn't commonly found in the usual lyrics seen on the internet?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
bridencar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2020, 02:27:55 PM »

This is after the verses... sure as the sun will come around again to start out another day.
You can be sure that in my heart and soul I’ll love you in every way.
Ooh when I sit and close my eyes gentle thought comes in my mind.
My love is burning brightly like moon and stars shine nightly.
Ooh let these little words of love become the lamps that light your way.
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2020, 06:28:59 PM »

Do you get lonely in the night, I know all I wanna do
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2020, 06:38:39 PM »

Or, “my love is burning in the night light”
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 12:57:01 PM »

Or, “my love is burning in the night light”
I think you're confusing all the different vocal parts for one line: Mike and Brian are singing "my love is burning brightly, like moon and stars shine nightly" while Bruce sings "all I wanna do" and Carl sings his line (with other wordless parts from Al, Brian and Mike). Salty isolated that part and I'm pretty sure the line is "if you get lonely in the night I'd wanna be with you." Try listening to just the left channel and focusing on Carl's voice.
RingoStarr39
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2020, 07:01:55 AM »

Hello everybody. I created an account on here just to answer this question, although I've been a lurker for several years.

The lyric in question, which is panned in the left channel of the stereo mix, from what I can tell is this:

"Whenever I get lonely in the night I call yeah. Baby you know."
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2020, 12:19:19 PM »

Hello everybody. I created an account on here just to answer this question, although I've been a lurker for several years.

The lyric in question, which is panned in the left channel of the stereo mix, from what I can tell is this:

"Whenever I get lonely in the night I call yeah. Baby you know."

For that part what I think it's saying is "When you get lonely in the night I come". I think it's "come" not "call".  I think you're combining it with the "All I wanna do" separate vocal part. The overlapping lyrics is one of the reasons it's so hard to hear everything.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2020, 03:54:23 PM »

I'm sticking to my theory of "If you get lonely in the night I'd wanna be with you"... I can't hear anything other than "if you get" at the start, and I don't hear a hard c sound after "lonely in the night"
RingoStarr39
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2020, 05:44:24 PM »

For that part what I think it's saying is "When you get lonely in the night I come". I think it's "come" not "call".  I think you're combining it with the "All I wanna do" separate vocal part. The overlapping lyrics is one of the reasons it's so hard to hear everything.
I'm not mixing them up. I can clearly hear two voices: One is saying "call" or "come" and the other is singing the "All I wanna do" part like you said.
Anyway, I suppose without hearing the isolated track we'll never know for certain since it's so buried under everything else.
Not to mention that Carl(?) sings it in such a way that it's hard to understand in the first place.
Incidentally Mike is also singing a repeated low "Now all I wanna do" part in the left channel that I noticed for the first time while I was trying to isolate the vocal we're talking about.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2020, 08:57:20 PM »

I still hear....Lonely in the night, I feel.

It sounds like a call response with Brian singing "all I wanna do"
And Carl responds "lonely in the night, i feel"

The "I" in "I feel" is sustained a bit.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2020, 08:18:36 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:39:33 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2020, 10:46:46 AM »

I still hear....Lonely in the night, I feel.

It sounds like a call response with Brian singing "all I wanna do"
And Carl responds "lonely in the night, i feel"

The "I" in "I feel" is sustained a bit.
If you focus on Carl's voice before "lonely in the night" you can tell he's singing a couple words to the same melody as "sure as the SUN will come around again..." so, C4 A3 C4 before the words "lonely in the night"
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2020, 11:20:06 AM »

To make it clear, this is what I'm hearing from Carl:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tEcsst0coh1pAPM2NclXDb0_K1kfJNYV/view?usp=sharing
RingoStarr39
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2020, 08:22:38 PM »

After listening again, I'm fairly certain he's either saying "I never get" or "You never get" before the "lonely in the night" part.
But the rest is still up for debate.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2020, 11:33:37 PM »

It would be great if somebody could post an isolated clip.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2020, 03:04:07 AM »

This is the most convincing answer to me. 'Lonely in the night I feel' would just be an amateurish lyric and a poor match for the sentiment of the song.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 03:04:43 AM by Tom » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2020, 05:46:14 PM »

After listening again I think the first line is "When you get lonely every time I've come". I no longer think it has anything to do with "night".

sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2020, 06:02:47 PM »

After listening again I think the first line is "When you get lonely every time I've come". I no longer think it has anything to do with "night".
The th sound in the sounds pretty clear to me and I'm not really hearing a v sound anywhere in there.. and there are still 4-5 syllables after the melody that would match those words
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2020, 08:14:44 PM »

This might be a stupid question, but has anyone ever thought about asking Mike? Didn’t he do this live in 2015? Or maybe there’s a clip from 2015 that’ll help because there can’t be too many effects live, unless the mix and quality get in the way.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2020, 10:01:06 PM »

Another cover. Another using the "Lonely in the night I feel" during the fade.  Its not just me. I think it is a great, simple lyric that describes Brian perfectly at this time in his life....or most times in his life.

https://youtu.be/6TR0cL0ztSc

When I listen to the original, I hear Carl singing two different parts that collide right after the word "feel". At the chorus at the 1:30 mark, Carl does a wordless harmony, instead of the Lonely phrase. The chorus in the fade is different. I hear Carl saying Loneky in the night I feel, followed by a continuation of other lyrics or wordlesd harmony that is in the earlier chorus...with others harmonizing over it.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2020, 10:03:58 PM »

https://youtu.be/gdOHzfx9Mmg

And another cover. Perhaps they are all wrong....I don't think so.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx