gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:59:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'All I Wanna Do' Mystery Lyrics  (Read 15810 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2020, 06:12:04 PM »

Does anyone out there have the complete lyrics or sheet music for 'All I Wanna Do'? There are three lines at the end of the song (in the last 25 seconds) that I have been trying to decipher and I wonder if they are included in any official transcripts of the song. They are buried so deep in the mix, intertwined with the "All I wanna do" and "My love is burning brightly" lines that it is very difficult to make out these lyrics, but they are there. It seems that none of the lyric websites have any info on these mysterious lyrics and my web searching has not turned up anything either. Many of the lyrics I see include the line "Lonely in the night I feel", but to my ears that line is not even correct. To me it sounds more like "to you lonely in the night I come" and then there is a separate line that goes "real surreal". I've tried EQing out as much as I can to hear these three lines at the end of the song but it is still very difficult to make out. It would be great if these lyrics could be identified and preserved for all Beach Boys fans who love this record. Any help or extra ears is very appreciated as I have reached my wit's end.

8/30/2020 Update:
Although I've gone to great effort in trying to determine what these lyrics are, listening to some lines literally hundreds of times, sometimes one syllable at a time, I will allow that some degree of error could exist. Maybe time will judge how well I have done in my attempt to determine exactly what these 'missing lyrics' are. This is what I've come up with:

All I wanna do
Is always bring good to you

To give you all the love I can
And help you in whatever you do

Sure as the sun will come around again to start off another day
You can be sure that in my heart and soul I'll love you in every way

All I wanna do
Is bring happiness to you

I hope it makes you happy to know
My love's with you wherever you go

Ooh, when I sit and close my eyes
A gentle thought comes in my mind

My love is burnin' brightly
Like the moon and stars shine nightly

{Note:  Lines notated with the a, b, c, and d are sung simultaneously}

a. All I wanna do...All I wanna do
b. All I wanted to do is just send a prayer to the people
c. I want you to warm me all night and know that I'll warm you too

a.
All I wanna do...All I wanna do
b. Yes, I wanted to rely on you when ya just send a prayer to the world
c. I want you to rely on our love and know we rely on you
   When you're all rockin'

Ooh, let these little words of love
Become the lamps that light your way

My love is burnin' brightly
Like the moon and stars shine nightly

b. All I wanted to do is come and give to you
c. Whenever it's lonely every night I've come in faith to you
The feel, the real

b. My love is burnin' brightly, like the moon and stars shine nightly
c. Now all our love is burning bright, these gifts sent just for you
d. My advocates thoroughly ending pride, I've come in faith to you
The feel, the real

b. My love is burning brightly, like the moon and stars shine nightly
c. Now all I wanted to do is do it again for you
d. Ne'er forget to the end of time I come in faith to you
The feel, the real
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 09:09:57 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 08:37:47 AM »

If we're talking about the vocalizing in the ending coda part, I've always assumed at least some of that was just sort of vocal vamping without specific words, and/or just stretching out the title with vocalizations. Whatever it is, if it is unique lyrics, it's rendered into a bunch of "eeee, i, i, ooohhh" sort of sounds under that mix.

I've always dug the dream-like state of the original mix of the song, but I'd also love to hear a bone-dry remix as an *alternate* way to hear the song (though it may not be bone-dry on the multis).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 09:34:21 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:40:17 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 10:06:24 AM »

Didn't we have this exact same conversation in another thread recently? Pretty sure it's "lonely in the night I call your name," followed by some wordless oo-ing.

Yes. I put out out this same request a few weeks ago, buried in a topic celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Sunflower album and I didn't get any useful responses out of that, so I started a separate topic to try and get this mystery sorted out. There are three lines that I'm convinced are each different that go way beyond wordless vocalizing, oohs and aaahs, dit dit diddy wops or anything of that ilk. These three lines don't appear in any transcription of the lyrics that I've yet to find, but they are there. BY the way, I just took the Trump cognitive test, so I know I'm good. Grin
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:07:03 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 05:41:45 PM »

None of the mystery lyrics show up on the sheet music, which ends with the easily heard lines:

All I wanna do, All I wanna do.
Ooh, let these little words of love become the lamps that light your way.
(Group) My love is burning brightly, like moon and stars shine nightly.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 05:43:56 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 07:10:54 PM »

I've always heard it as "Love me in the ni-ight".
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 09:14:41 PM »

None of the mystery lyrics show up on the sheet music, which ends with the easily heard lines:

Ooh, let these little words of love become the lamps that light your way.
(Group) My love is burning brightly, like moon and stars shine nightly.

Thanks a lot for that information, Custom Machine!  Since I can never find the lyrics anywhere I suspected that was the case, but I very much appreciate you confirming that for me. So that leaves me to my own devices to figure out what these mystery lyrics are. If anyone wants to carefully listen to end of the song, I think it would be interesting to hear any differing interpretations there might be out there.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 09:38:21 PM »

My favorite part about the very end of this song is how the vocal tracks start slightly drifting out of sync with other vocal parts. This only happens at the very tail end of the ending fade.

I feel like this was an intentional creative decision to make it even trippier here, as though molecules are separating. That's my take on it, anyway.

This song deserves an entire disc of alternate versions and different mixes. It's an absolute revelation. Without a doubt Mike's finest hour. Yet I wonder if the song would have more noteriery if Brian or Carl had sang lead vocals.

There are more than a few bands who would say that the song perhaps planted the seeds for other future genres of music such as chillwave or dreampop 15 or 20 years after its release. It's ridiculously overlooked in the public eye, but many nerdy musicians know the impact this song has had. And if not direct impact, at least I would say that Brian (and Stephen Desper) did some incredible stuff on the track, where at minimum, other artists independently arrived at similar creative finish lines years later even if they never heard the song.

I want to see this song picked apart technically and sonically the way the amazing (but also amazingly overplayed) good vibrations has been picked apart.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:41:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 10:06:19 PM »

My favorite part about the very end of this song is how the vocal tracks start slightly drifting out of sync with other vocal parts. This only happens at the very tail end of the ending fade.

I feel like this was an intentional creative decision to make it even trippier here, as though molecules are separating. That's my take on it, anyway.

This song deserves an entire disc of alternate versions and different mixes. It's an absolute revelation. Without a doubt Mike's finest hour. Yet I wonder if the song would have more noteriery if Brian or Carl had sang lead vocals.

There are more than a few bands who would say that the song perhaps planted the seeds for other future genres of music such as chillwave or dreampop 15 or 20 years after its release. It's ridiculously overlooked in the public eye, but many nerdy musicians know the impact this song has had. And if not direct impact, at least I would say that Brian (and Stephen Desper) did some incredible stuff on the track, where at minimum, other artists independently arrived at similar creative finish lines years later even if they never heard the song.

I want to see this song picked apart technically and sonically the way the amazing (but also amazingly overplayed) good vibrations has been picked apart.

Well. lately I've been picking apart the lyrics at the end of the song and it's quite a layered onion. At first I thought there were three lines overlapping, but it turns out there are at least four lines that I can hear. They are mixed so low that it is practically an experiment in subliminal listening.

gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 04:36:54 AM »

It's the jagged guitar flourishes in the mix that always impress me.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 05:59:17 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:40:10 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »

I've always heard the line as "Only in the night I pray", or possibly "lonely".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 06:51:39 PM »

I hear, "Lonely in the night, I feel".

Listen to this cover....which is damn good.

https://youtu.be/1TMOwMtdgF8

jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 06:54:18 PM »

Lonely in the night I feel....sounds so very Brian.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 09:27:45 PM »

Does Dennis participate in this song in any way?
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 09:32:46 PM »

There is so much stuff buried in this mix. This is gettin' freakin' weird!

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 08:50:07 AM »

Does Dennis participate in this song in any way?

Yes, Dennis sings on it according to c-man and the new ESQ.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 09:27:30 AM »

Nice cover but they got the lyrics wrong - it's "My love is burning brightly Like the moon and stars shine nightly" not "my moon and stars shine nightly."  Nevertheless very enjoyable.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 09:40:04 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:40:05 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 09:47:52 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:39:57 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 12:26:03 PM »

Not really - there's Mike's doubled lead, joined by a higher Brian harmony in the choruses, a doubled layer of the group panned over to the side, and some additional scat vocals following the first chorus on another track (which also seems to encompass a Mike & Carl response part in each chorus). The illusion of more voices comes from the delay effect. Think of it in finite 8-track terms, then it's easier to figure out what's going on.

I can't remember -- have we determined whether the delay was printed to tape?  That would be super hard to recreate on a remix or vocal mix, in a completely satisfying replication of the original, if the delay was done live to two track.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 12:28:10 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:39:47 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 02:26:37 PM »

Not really - there's Mike's doubled lead, joined by a higher Brian harmony in the choruses, a doubled layer of the group panned over to the side, and some additional scat vocals following the first chorus on another track (which also seems to encompass a Mike & Carl response part in each chorus). The illusion of more voices comes from the delay effect. Think of it in finite 8-track terms, then it's easier to figure out what's going on.

I can't remember -- have we determined whether the delay was printed to tape?  That would be super hard to recreate on a remix or vocal mix, in a completely satisfying replication of the original, if the delay was done live to two track.

There's a short clip of a remix in the Endless Harmony doc where there's a slapback sort of effect on the vocals, but it doesn't sound like the heavy delay from the original is there.

A perfect question for Steve Desper, n'est-ce pas?

It's also possible that in the FEEL FLOWS set (fingers crossing even as I type this...) there might be an earlier mix of this that would clarify things. If so, and if they can talk about any of that in the current "hush-hush" situation, possibly Alan B. or Mark L. have some details they could add here.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 06:01:15 PM »

I can't remember -- have we determined whether the delay was printed to tape?  That would be super hard to recreate on a remix or vocal mix, in a completely satisfying replication of the original, if the delay was done live to two track.

There's a short clip of a remix in the Endless Harmony doc where there's a slapback sort of effect on the vocals, but it doesn't sound like the heavy delay from the original is there.

A perfect question for Steve Desper, n'est-ce pas?

It's also possible that in the FEEL FLOWS set (fingers crossing even as I type this...) there might be an earlier mix of this that would clarify things. If so, and if they can talk about any of that in the current "hush-hush" situation, possibly Alan B. or Mark L. have some details they could add here.

Well, has anybody heard from him lately?  Is he OK?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2020, 07:26:11 PM »

Nice cover but they got the lyrics wrong - it's "My love is burning brightly Like the moon and stars shine nightly" not "my moon and stars shine nightly."  Nevertheless very enjoyable.

Understandable, since the BBs don't seem to sing the word "the" before moon - so I also always heard it as "my moon and stars...".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx