gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:30:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any isolated tracks of Dennis playing guitar?  (Read 3331 times)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2020, 11:34:13 AM »

I've always been fascinated on Dennis guitar playing. I know there are a handful of songs he is credited with playing guitar. I've always wondered how proficient he was; his desired tone, his style, his playing technique, his guitar of choice, etc.

Is 'Well you know I knew' an example of Dennis' guitar playing?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 06:49:54 PM »

Probably.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 08:34:49 PM »

I'd Love Just Once to See You?

Watch out for snakes!
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 08:47:40 PM »

Interesting. I must have forgotten in my rigorous session and personnel lists that Dennis was on this. I truly didn’t know that. Where did you read this?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 12:03:28 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:34:57 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 12:10:38 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:34:50 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 11:20:53 AM »

Well we now know that he’s on Slip on Through and Got to Know the Woman, and both are overdubs. I think Jon Stebbins confirmed that he and John Hanlon (or maybe Alan Boyd) heard an isolated rhythm guitar part on a Dobro that they were convinced was played by Dennis on one of the POB & Bambu songs or outtakes.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 11:37:01 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:34:32 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 02:07:48 PM »

Well we now know that he’s on Slip on Through and Got to Know the Woman, and both are overdubs. I think Jon Stebbins confirmed that he and John Hanlon (or maybe Alan Boyd) heard an isolated rhythm guitar part on a Dobro that they were convinced was played by Dennis on one of the POB & Bambu songs or outtakes.

There's no guitar on GTKTW played by Dennis, but I think it's been said that he played the unused Leslie'd rhythm part on Slip on Through that can be heard in bootleg mixes. The only parts audible on the finished song are Carl and Jack Conrad.

So the parts mentioned in the new ESQ weren’t mixed into the masters for both songs?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 04:32:44 PM »

Interesting. I must have forgotten in my rigorous session and personnel lists that Dennis was on this. I truly didn’t know that. Where did you read this?

I recall Stephen Desper saying so many years ago but I couldn't find his post to that effect. Obviously documented evidence can disprove 40-year old memories, so I'll happily stand corrected.

Watch out for snakes!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 06:37:05 PM »

There's no guitar on GTKTW played by Dennis...

We don't know that for sure...I've heard the next-to-final takes, and they sound radically different to the released version, indicating a lot of replacement of parts and overdubbing of new parts. Although Eddie Carter played the sole guitar on the basic track of the master take, Desper described in his book how Dennis overdubbed the fingered lead guitar licks in the choruses, which could've been done as "drop-ins" on the same track as the original guitar.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 11:39:15 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:34:25 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 06:38:41 AM »

There's no guitar on GTKTW played by Dennis...

We don't know that for sure...I've heard the next-to-final takes, and they sound radically different to the released version, indicating a lot of replacement of parts and overdubbing of new parts. Although Eddie Carter played the sole guitar on the basic track of the master take, Desper described in his book how Dennis overdubbed the fingered lead guitar licks in the choruses, which could've been done as "drop-ins" on the same track as the original guitar.

Standing corrected! What other parts sound different to the original session?

Doug Dragon's organ part was completely wiped and replaced by Dennis' final lead vocal. The bass part may have been different, as it was played on the session by Joe Osborn, but Desper indicated that Carl played it on the master, so that may have been replaced, too. And, the final take from the basic session was overdubbed with a wild fuzzy lead guitar. In the end, they used the second-to-last take for the master.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 06:43:43 AM »

...it's been said that he played the unused Leslie'd rhythm part on Slip on Through that can be heard in bootleg mixes. The only parts audible on the finished song are Carl and Jack Conrad.

Dennis' Leslie'd rhythm guitar is locked in on the same track as the horns, per the track sheet notation. On the bootleg mix, you mostly hear it in the choruses when the horns are tacet, but there is a bit of crossover when the horns re-enter, so even if it was mostly muted or faded out in the final mix, that little part that overlaps with the horns would still be there. But, I think I can still hear it in other parts of the final mix, although very subtly.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 06:44:48 AM »

According to Badman, years before the rest of us heard it, Well You Know I Knew exists on a tape with Charles Manson running through a few songs on acoustic guitar. Take that as you will. If that has anything to do with the identity of the guitarist on a now-released song I don't expect it'd ever be confirmed for understandable reasons.

There are two acoustic guitars on "Well You Know I Know", so one could be Dennis, while the other could be...someone else.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 08:50:25 AM »

According to Badman, years before the rest of us heard it, Well You Know I Knew exists on a tape with Charles Manson running through a few songs on acoustic guitar. Take that as you will. If that has anything to do with the identity of the guitarist on a now-released song I don't expect it'd ever be confirmed for understandable reasons.

There are two acoustic guitars on "Well You Know I Know", so one could be Dennis, while the other could be...someone else.

Do we think this song is a co-write with that other guitarist, or is it really just by Dennis?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 09:07:33 AM »

Do we think this song is a co-write with that other guitarist, or is it really just by Dennis?

Regardless of the history of the song, which of course is very fascinating, I absolutely love this song. So incredibly beautiful and haunting, even in its unfinished state.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 09:31:35 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:33:57 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 03:41:47 PM »

Does anyone know who Denny is audibly demoing these songs for?

Throughout these songs, which almost account for a mini album within 20/20 Sessions set, he seems to interject occasionally as though he's describing the arrangements to somebody there in the room with him.

I'm so incredibly grateful that these songs were released. This is some of the most beautiful, fascinating stuff within the whole catalog, and I'm so glad it has been released.
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 05:41:41 PM »

This is kind of unrelated, but on Tune L you can hear someone (I presumed Dennis) singing in the background.  Anyone know anything about that?  In my opinion this song was a missed opportunity in a sea of them for the band.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx