gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:09:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on the new Pet Sounds re-masters...  (Read 15187 times)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2006, 10:13:34 AM »

I just bought the Fuzzy CD/DVD set and am about to check out the new remastered PS. So far I'm impressed with the packaging and such - it seems tastefully done. Anyone else have thoughts to share?

Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 10:18:04 AM »

Just picked this up at Best Buy for $17.99 Sticker says "Exclusive. Package contains a unique digital download code for 3 bonus live tracks".  Since I won't have
a chance to do a download today, wondering if anyone knows what are the live tracks and the venue and year they're from? Anything previously released
or new for these live tracks?

Thanking in advance!

Regards,
Cal
:
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 10:20:47 AM »

All I can say at this point is the set is worth it just for the cover; I love the feel of that thing! It's comforting, like having a pet which is what I assume the designers were going for.

The liner notes are a conglomeration of everything Brian, David Leaf and Mark Linett have written about the album over the last 16 years, so nothing new there. I look forward to hearing the new improved mono mastering and seeing how the "Making Of Pet Sounds" and "Pet Stories" differs from the previously released versions.

The live tracks are "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "God Only Knows" and "Sloop John B." I would have to think they are the Beach Boys versions- possible from the '73 live album? UPDATE: According to Man@Work below, the tracks are from "Live In London" (I wouldn't know because my computer won't access the site for some reason).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 02:00:15 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 12:08:21 PM »

Just picked this up at Best Buy for $17.99 Sticker says "Exclusive. Package contains a unique digital download code for 3 bonus live tracks".  Since I won't have
a chance to do a download today, wondering if anyone knows what are the live tracks and the venue and year they're from? Anything previously released
or new for these live tracks?

Thanking in advance!

Regards,
Cal
:

Which version did you find at Best Buy, the jewel case version or the "fuzzy" version? Given the list prices of each, I would guess $17.99 would be for the jewel case version (Amazon has the jewel case version at $19.99 and the "fuzzy" version for $22.99). I was iffy about picking this package up, but I'm sure I will eventually. Normally, I prefer jewel cases since they are much more functional than digipak-type packages. But at the same time, I kind of have the impulse that if I'm going to go to the expense and trouble of buying "Pet Sounds" yet again, maybe I should at least get something new out of it from a packaging standpoint.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 12:10:29 PM »

What's on the DVD?

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 12:15:18 PM »

All I can say at this point is the set is worth it just for the cover; I love the feel of that thing! It's comforting, like having a pet which is what I assume the designers were going for.

The liner notes are a conglomeration of everything Brian, David Leaf and Mark Linett have written about the album over the last 16 years, so nothing new there. I look forward to hearing the new improved mono mastering and seeing how the "Making Of Pet Sounds" and "Pet Stories" differs from the previously released versions.

The live tracks are "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "God Only Knows" and "Sloop John B." I would have to think they are the Beach Boys versions- possible from the '73 live album?

Man, I despise both "digital download" bonuses as well as bonuses exclusive to one retailer, and this particular setup accomplishes both at the same time! I sure hope these are simply downloadable versions of tracks from the '73 "In Concert" album and/or the "Live in London" album. If I buy this thing, I'll probably be buying it at Best Buy, but I still don't like doing the download thing. If they just gave a password to go to a website where I can download the mp3 or whatever, that wouldn't be too bad. But it's probably some sort of strange encrypted file that only plays on certain software or is otherwise somehow more complicated than simply clicking on a file link and downloading it.

If this is just a cross-promotion to get people to go on the web to learn more about the group, and/or if this is just cross-promotion for the live album catalog, then I think this is a fine idea. But if this is something that people can't buy on CD and can only get via download, and/or if it's something that only people who shop at Best Buy can get, then that's pretty messed up. And I'm not even getting into the question of why they would design this huge, expansive, "deluxe" CD/DVD set and yet not include some material that they are only going to offer via download.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 12:33:14 PM »

Which version did you find at Best Buy, the jewel case version or the "fuzzy" version? Given the list prices of each, I would guess $17.99 would be for the jewel case version (Amazon has the jewel case version at $19.99 and the "fuzzy" version for $22.99).

The one I bought at Best Buy at lunchtime today for $17.99 was the "fuzzy" version. I didn't even see a regular jewel-case edition ...
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 12:55:25 PM »

Just listened to the remastered Hi-Bit Stereo mix on the DVD and it sounded great! I do prefer the mono of course, but the crispness of the new re-master is real nice on the ears...

Endless Flight
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 01:31:08 PM »

I bought the 40th Anniversary release at Best Buy today for $17.99.

I immediately went out to my car and opened it up. The fuzzy packaging itself is very tasteful. Inside the liner notes are stapled to the packaging in the middle. It appears to be an edited version of the notes that appeared in the 2001 remaster.

The mono mix on the CD is worth the price of admission. I knew it was going to make me cry the first second or so into 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'. This song in particular always bugged me on the 2001 remaster, because the intro never sounded quite right. It's much better, and at least to my ears most of the hiss is gone.

The free downloads are from 'Live In London'. So they aren't anything special.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 04:03:09 PM »

The intro is obviously edited on from a different source (probably the multitracks).  The guitar before and after the drum slam don't match up in tonality and level of reverb.  Same thing I believe on "God Only Knows".
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 05:32:36 PM »

The intro is obviously edited on from a different source (probably the multitracks).  The guitar before and after the drum slam don't match up in tonality and level of reverb.  Same thing I believe on "God Only Knows".

The WIBN on the mono mix sounds exactly like the version used on the 1990 mono issue with the multitracks used for the intro. I like Mark's version on the 1996/2001 version from the NY master.

The only thing about it that bothers me is really either tape dropout or bad edit on the mono Sloop John B right before the second chorus. When Brian sings "SO - HOIST UP". Right after "SO" there is a major glich that is not on the 1996/2001 or the 1993 DCC version. Since we know that this mono came from a 1987 U1630 tape, maybe the transfer in 1987 was poorly done. I pulled out my copy of MADE IN USA CD from 1986 (which used the single reel for Sloop flat transfered according to Larry Walsh at Cap) and no glitch is there. (edited in two days later - their is a glitch - I am an ass!)

Other than that, I really like the transfer. And the DVD is awesome! So is Mark's little easter egg at the end of Caroline No.

Bob Flory
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 01:26:45 PM by petsite » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 05:45:26 PM »

Regarding the DVD: How much is different on the documentaries compared to what we already had before?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 08:49:53 PM »

Got the two LP set on its way. Will let you know what it's like.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 10:38:04 PM »

Regarding the DVD: How much is different on the documentaries compared to what we already had before?

I just bought the set but haven't watched the DVD yet. But as far as I can tell based on what I already know and what is listed on this set, the only thing completely "new to DVD" is the promo film for "Good Vibrations" and the "Rhythm of Life" documentary segment. The packaging states that both the "Making of Pet Sounds" footage from the 1997 boxed set promotion as well as the "Pet Stories" documentary flown in from the "Brian Wilson - Pet Sounds Live" DVD are "new edits." What I don't know is how the edits are different. They could just be shorter, or longer, or just different here and there. I also don't know if the "new edit" of the "Making of Pet Sounds" is the same "new edit" included on the 2003 DVD-Audio (since that version was also edited compared to the original 1997 EPK footage, apparently).

I've given the CD in the package a listen. I like having the mono mix for historical purposes, but because the mono mix is so muddy and cluttered to begin with, I've usually listened to the stereo mix since it was done ten years ago. I'm not quite a super audiophile, so I don't know quite how to size up this new mono remaster. It sounds better than the 1990 CD. The thing is, I don't know if I've ever met an audiophile BB fan who loves the mono mix who still doesn't hold up the DCC Steve Hoffman mono remaster as the best available representation of the mono mix. Sure enough, over on Steve Hoffman's board, the consensus among those audiophiles seems to be that the DCC CD is still tops for the mono mix. I have to say I probably prefer the DCC CD as well. But as I said, I rarely listen to the mono mix much anymore, so I'm usually listening to the stereo remix (preferably the version from the PS Sessions box, as I like Brian's bridge vocal on WIBN, but any mastering of the stereo remix is just fine).

What is strange is that among all of the mastering, mixing, and remastering credits on this new release, I can't find any direct reference to a new mono master being used, let alone remastered. It lists the CD stereo mix as being done in 1996. It lists the one mono bonus track as having been mixed in 1987. Then there is a general "remastered by Joe Gastwirt" credit from 2000. The rest of the credits pertain to the surround/DVD elements. What I don't understand is that, if a new mono master was used, thus neccesitating a remastering of this CD for at least the mono mix portion, shouldn't there be some new remastering credit on this CD? Did Joe Gastwirt remaster this 2006 CD as well? I dunno. No big deal to me, the super-audiophile types really like to know who mastered what, when, where, and how. I'm interested as well, but only to a point in this instance, since I'm happy with decent-sounding mono remasters and a great-sounding stereo remix.

The whole project is just another rehash. I just picked it up today because I figured I'd probably be picking it up sooner or later, so I might as well pick it up while it's available at such a cheap price. I had assumed, having not looked at any Best Buy ads, that they might not even have this new thing in stock. But they had plenty of copies, and the set is in their weekly circular. It's almost like the 2003 DVD-A has been forgotten by almost everybody. Funnily, the 2003 DVD-A was on a rack right next to the "new music release" rack full of copies of the new set at the Best Buy I went to today.

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 10:50:58 PM »

Anybody getting the 2LP colored vinyl set? If yes, where can one get one as I have not found anyone selling it. I need this mother!
MBE
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 11:17:44 PM »

I just ordered one on Ebay. try
www.gemm.com
www.ebay.com
www.vinylmatters.com
www.musicstack.com
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 05:46:40 AM »

I've watched most of the DVD video. Has anybody else noticed the sort of slightly strange video quality on a couple of the clips, specifically the "Good Vibrations" promo film and the "God Only Knows" photo collage flown in from the "Endless Harmony" DVD? It's a rather subtle effect, but I can't think of any other way to describe it other than sort of "video noise." It isn't film grain or pixellation or anything like that. It's just a sort of dotty video pattern that can be seen on the screen. It almost seems like some sort of signal interference or something, as if some appliance was messing with the picture on the screen (I re-watched this several times, and I'm sure that interference isn't actually the problem).

It isn't as noticeable on smaller screens, but on a large screen it's somewhat noticeable. Since the GV promo film is already from a sort of not quite pristine film print, the effect isn't as pronounced on it. But on the "God Only Knows" photo collage video clip, it is somewhat noticeable. I thought maybe something was wrong with my disc, but the other clips are just fine. It seems to be an artifact introduced in mastering the video on the DVD. It's sort of strange though that it would affect two clips from totally different sources. It's not a big deal, since the "GOK" clip is on the EH DVD, and the GV promo film is already sort of from a middling quality print to begin with (or was just shot to look that way). This weird video effect seems to also appear very, very briefly during the "Making of Pet Sounds" documentary as well. Again, I'd think there was something wrong with my copy, but a manufacturing defect or something usually wouldn't present itself in this way. The DVD would be all pixelly or stutter or have problems playing if it was a manufacturing defect, or the video quality issue would be seen throughout. I dunno, it's a bit strange but not too problematic. It's a bit off-putting considering the paucity of "new" material on the thing that enticed me to the buy the thing in the first place, though.

In any event, it's worth noting that the "Making of Pet Sounds" is indeed a somewhat drastic re-edit. It mixes in some "Endless Harmony" interview footage, as well as some presumably newly or relatively recently-shot interview footage with Al Jardine. It makes you wish they would just scrap the Brian-centric "Pet Stories" and get the surviving BB's to do all-new interviews and put together a long, in-depth documentary.

I didn't watch all of the "Pet Stories" documentary, and I haven't watched the original version in awhile, so I'm not sure of the differences there. The new re-edit seems shorter.

The "Good Vibrations" clip suffers from the above-mentioned, sometimes barely-noticeable video quality problems. I'll have to pull out my VHS tape from when they aired it on AMC a few years ago. I kind of recall it looking a bit better. Probably the same film print used, but the video mastering issues on this DVD might make my old VHS copy from AMC slightly better.

The "Rhythm of Life" thing is short, but interesting, and the video quality is just fine.

Most everything else is re-hashed.

Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 05:57:36 AM »

If you have the last remaster and the DVD audio version (two sided one with
audio, the other with promos, etc) the real only reason to get the 40th anniversary edition is for the stellar new mono remaster from another source tape closer to the album master, and for the GV "Fireman" promo video and interview segment with George Martin. If you have all the rest you're in good shape. Though this mono sounds the best ever! Finally has real "punch" to it compared to the last mono remaster release a few years back. In comparison--this is as good as the Beatles Capitol Albums Vol. 1 and 2 mono remasters. For once I enjoyed the mono better than the stereo on PS!

Regards,
Cal
Smiley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 07:12:26 AM »

You certainly get a lot more Al Jardine in the "Making Of Pet Sounds". Also, you don't get Mike's "Home Improvement" hat logo as it's been digitally blurred out for all of his on-camera segments!

The video distortion HeyJude mentioned in the "Good Vibrations" clip surprised me as well. It looks like the film was transferred to 3/4" U-matic videotape using a deck with malfunctioning recording/playback heads. I mean that seriously since I've seen the exact same problem with video equipment I've used in the past (I would have immediately taken the deck in for service!). You can even see the white lines of dropout near the end.

Apart from this issue, I think the set is wonderful and the mono mix does sound better, despite the "Sloop John B." dropout moment.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 07:13:47 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 08:03:27 AM »

Well, sounds ok, I don't know if I'll buy it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 09:58:35 AM »

I think I'll get the LP, just because I'm a sucker for coloured vinyl. Hopefully it will not ONLY be pretty to look at, but be a decent pressing as well. Anyone got their copy yet and would like to comment on the quality?
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 10:17:33 AM »

Other than that, I really like the transfer. And the DVD is awesome! So is Mark's little easter egg at the end of Caroline No.

Bob Flory

How does one access the easter egg?

Also, here's a new BW interview promoting PS40:
http://www.avclub.com/content/node/52251
The interviewer seems to be quite interested in BW's deaf ear

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 11:22:48 AM »

Bob Flory

Just allow the CD to keep playing after the stereo "Caroline, No" ends! (It's not a DVD Easter Egg)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 12:00:14 PM »

Bob Flory

Just allow the CD to keep playing after the stereo "Caroline, No" ends! (It's not a DVD Easter Egg)

Ahh! Haven't made it that far yet, I'll check it out though

craig leonard
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 12:20:25 PM »

I've watched most of the DVD video. Has anybody else noticed the sort of slightly strange video quality on a couple of the clips, specifically the "Good Vibrations" promo film and the "God Only Knows" photo collage flown in from the "Endless Harmony" DVD? It's a rather subtle effect, but I can't think of any other way to describe it other than sort of "video noise."

Same on mine.  Sort of looks like the interference you used to get when you used an electric razor while someone was watching TV.  It really bugs me when something like this gets past quality control.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx