gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:27:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Preiss Tape  (Read 18134 times)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »

I never realized how involved Stan and Steve Love were in running the show. That's really a shame...it's hard enough having a family band and it causes even more tension the more family members you bring in. What a mistake.....
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2012, 12:24:45 AM »

Thanks, Jeff!! GOLD - especially your glimpse of Brian's old voice...

Your story, and those contributed from individuals who were/are plugged into to the BB scene, really enhances my appreciation of the band's history itself; but also the depth of the love and passion for this music amongst the fan community, and the actions people took to get the good stuff out there and circulating!

Thank you all (and don't stop) - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2013, 05:27:12 AM »

I have nothing to add right now, but would like to point out what a great thread this was/is. It shouldn't be forgotten!  Smiley
MBE
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2013, 05:55:19 AM »

Nice to read again. There is some good stuff in that book.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2013, 08:19:17 AM »

Glad this thread got bumped!  Somehow I missed it last year.  I agree it should be archived.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »

Glad this thread got bumped!  Somehow I missed it last year.  I agree it should be archived.

Same here. Thanks, guys. Extremely interesting stuff!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2020, 10:48:10 PM »

Bumping this thread for a specific reason...I'm in the process of collecting some of the more interesting historical threads and making an archive of some sort.

From reading it, it's 1) Kind of obvious who the original London trader was , and  2)The song with Brian in young voice might possibly have been Mike Come Back to LA

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2020, 05:44:28 AM »

That is a fantastic idea, Billy.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2020, 06:27:56 AM »

Thanks for the bump, Billy (almost sounds like a drug reference!) Smiley  Great to have this info for posterity.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2020, 06:21:24 PM »

Look what magically appeared on YouTube yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3idofDTNRA&t=1079s
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2020, 07:25:11 PM »

Since we don't have a like button here, i just wanted to say this is a great thread. I still have a copy of the Preiss book - the 1983 edition.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »

Diane was getting phone calls from Marilyn, who was talking to Carl Wilson. Everyone applauded when Diane had received word that Carl was back in the group.

I realize this is a thread about the Priess tape, but I found this recollection interesting. As the Gaines book tells it, two weeks after the tarmac incident the group had a meeting and essentially got back together. But, Carl and Dennis didn't spend much time in Iowa and according to the Bellagio site there were concerts in mid October which featured members of Celebration. There was also Bambu sessions and the potential Dennis Wilson solo tour, and there's this recollection above from the MIU sessions which took place in Nov/Dec of 1977. So, I wonder about Carl and Dennis' status in the group in the fall of 1977. Did they quit for an extended period of time? Or, more than once?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 12:57:08 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2020, 01:53:12 PM »

I don't think much of anybody ever in the band (meaning the main band, not backing band touring people) was ever 100% unequivocally *fired* from the band, and rarely did they 100%, seemingly intending it permanently, quit the group.

David Marks quit in 1963. Debatable whether he would have been fired I suppose.

Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky "chose" to depart, although with the first two, one also wonders if a firing would have been in the offing.

Even when Dennis was "kicked out" of the band in the late 70s and early 80s, I don't know that they ever envisioned that it was permanent.

Similarly, when Carl left in 1981 it wasn't presumed to be permanent.

Brian's 1982 "firing" was of course infamously a ruse.

By the end of the 90s, the corporate and touring structure was such that folks didn't even *need* to be fired to be essentially fired. Al was never really "fired" in 1998, the band just sort of broke up and then reconstituted without him (the seeming goal of course being not to have him in the band).

Al was reported to have been "fired" around the time of "Summer in Paradise", but that wasn't true.  Much like some members only cameo-ed on "MIU", so was also the case with "SIP."

Several books have stated that Brian quit in the late 80s while with Landy, but that's not the case either. He just only showed up on occasion.

And those instances were more clear cut than the "tarmac incident" in 1977, which was a big blow-up with vague, unclear consequences. I tend to think they all knew deep down that the band was their professional and monetary need. Aside from heat of the moment thoughts, I don't think any of them thought for weeks on end that they were 100% for-sure quitting or being fired, or all breaking up. And even if they did stew and think that for some period of time, no corporate moves were made to enact that as far as I'm aware.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx