gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:09:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would Kokomo have sounded better in a minor key?  (Read 2554 times)
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2020, 04:35:15 PM »

What do you think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFKtnGpnImc
SBonilla
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 06:07:33 PM »

Cloudy, windy with late afternoon, evening rain showers. Contrived. Bad idea.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 10:53:18 PM »

I love everything that YouTuber does.  Sometimes he picks different minor modes than make sense to me, but when I played the YMCA one several years ago, for the first time, I laughed so hard I nearly fainted.
SBonilla
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 04:21:26 AM »

Last night on BBG I heard Lesley Price's  brilliant and  hilarious remix track called "Celebrations ft. Mike Love." It had an ultra catchy, anthemic hook, a funky danceable groove and sections that were omg funny. The Kokomo thing, above, was 8th grade funny. Lesley is the bomb.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 04:22:52 AM by SBonilla » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 07:19:49 AM »

Would Kokomo sound less like an 80s novelty song without its 80s novelty song production? The answer is yes. P.S.: I don't mind Kokomo but it is what it is.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 08:09:12 AM »

Last night on BBG I heard Lesley Price's  brilliant and  hilarious remix track called "Celebrations ft. Mike Love." It had an ultra catchy, anthemic hook, a funky danceable groove and sections that were omg funny. The Kokomo thing, above, was 8th grade funny. Lesley is the bomb.

Humour is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.  Although to be fair most of the major / minor swap stuff is of value not for its humour (the Smells Like Teen Spirit one usually makes me sob), but because of the harmonic lessons it can teach.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 08:12:22 AM »

Kokomo minor almost sounds quite French
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 12:58:23 PM »

Maybe it would have sounded better with Van Dyke Parks lyrics and George falling into his french horn.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 01:36:21 PM »

Maybe it would have sounded better with Van Dyke Parks lyrics and George falling into his french horn.

I think VDPs classed it up enough with his accordion playing. Too bad Mike stuck him with the plane rental bill!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »

Some of the comments at YouTube are far more trenchant and pointed than either the track itself, which is not quite up to what it wants to convey (the track needs a different arrangement for the idea to be truly credible), or several of the criticisms in this thread, which take the whole idea a bit too seriously even while suggesting that humor is the only motive behind such a switcheroo. Aesthetic considerations are not solely technical in nature, and we'd be better off exploring some of the reasons WHY anyone would consider making such a change. JH's assertion starts us in that direction, but I think there's more to take into consideration--which also leads us into the realm of how changing a portion of a melody can alter the emotional landscape of a song.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 03:21:27 PM »

As others have said, in many if not most cases (especially when the person doing them put work into making the harmonics and chords work), doing the "in a minor key" thing to a major key song isn't about humor. It's a demonstration, even to musical a musical layperson, of how different that shift can make a song.

There's a guy on YouTube that does big, melodramatic, sort of "emo" minor key versions of famous songs, and they are both well done (even if I don't like the songs), interesting, and kind of hilarious. A few examples include a minor key version of "All I Want for Christmas is You" and the "Friends" theme song.

For what it's worth, while I only searched for a bit, I can't find one single sign of a "Lesley Price" doing the song mentioned above, nor do I know what "BBG" is. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be "out there" for someone to easily hear.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 03:28:34 PM »

Humour is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.  Although to be fair most of the major / minor swap stuff is of value not for its humour (the Smells Like Teen Spirit one usually makes me sob), but because of the harmonic lessons it can teach.

It's okay to find this stuff interesting and funny, and sometimes just moderately so. YouTube has a million tracks like this. Some people do stuff that I find to be useless and dumb ("Never Wanna Give You Up", but every third beat is erased and replaced with a cow mooing!", or "Love Me Do, but with every word rearranged alphabetically!"), while stuff sounds dumb but is at least moderately interesting while not deserving of an award or anything. Here's one example:

The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby (but all notes are E and F)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMXdJhac6LQ

Also, while I don't want to go a big rabbit hole of BB fandom internecine stuff, the Beach Boys and "humor" have a long, very weird history both within the band and within fandom. Brian's cold, awkward, analytical Smile-era forays into "humor" aren't even 1% humorous to me, and I've generally said while the guys in the band may be quite funny in real life/personally, they have very rarely been *purposely* funny, with most hilarious BB moments being unintentional.

Similarly, I've found BB fans have weird demographics. Some fans are older and still find John McCain's "Bomb, bomb Iran!" Barbara Ann thing to be *hilarious!*, while other fans skew into much more sardonic, dry but still BB-flavored humor which I tend to find funny, such as Elora's videos on YouTube.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx