gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:11:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Orange Crate Art 25 and other tidbits  (Read 4593 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2020, 11:12:19 PM »

Hey so I logged on here thinking there'd be some discussion of the reissue of Orange Crate Art. Guess not though.

Well anyways, I listened to the title track and I think the remaster sounds nice, though I thought the original was just fine. I also listened to all three bonus vocal tracks and I'm glad to add all three to my collection. I think that having "Rhapsody In Blue" and "Love Is Here To Stay" from this era is cool. The arrangement on "Love Is Here To Stay" was a bit surprising for me I must say.

Here's the thing though, I thought there were a few interesting Brian tidbits from his essay in the booklet. First off, he says that they "talked about doing a tour to play the album but they never did." Who knows if it got anywhere beyond one of them bringing it up, but I thought that was neat.

But then in the same paragraph he mentions that he was "making the record with Andy Paley by then so I was getting pretty busy. I'd love to get back to those songs eventually, too." (emphasis mine, not italicized nor bolded in booklet)

That part piqued my interest. I wonder if maybe the Paley session material may be in the pipeline. Personally I think that if it was gonna be marketed as a new project, Brian should probably re-record most of the vocals, as I think he could do better on a bunch of them, at least on the ballads. But yeah, maybe we get a BW archive release? Or maybe seeing as there is another anniversary for The Beach Boys next year (or 2022), perhaps use the Paley material for what seemed to be it's original purpose, a new Beach Boys album. I mean who knows about any of this, it mighta just been a throw away line in the essay. I guess we'll see.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 12:29:38 AM »

Can’t wait to hear the instrumental versions of OCA, love that album. Of all the things unreleased the Paley sessions are on top of my wish list.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 01:41:07 AM »

Hey so I logged on here thinking there'd be some discussion of the reissue of Orange Crate Art. Guess not though.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27102.0.html

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 03:10:04 AM »

This album is actually up on Spotify (probably other streaming services) right now. I listened to half of it yesterday and it sounded great - I compared it to the original mix and I myself couldn’t find any difference in the mix, but I’m sure there are differences I’m just not picking up on.

I haven’t gotten to the instrumentals yet but I did listen to Rhapsody in Blue - AMAZING! It is extremely similar to his Disney Gershwin version, but with a younger Brian.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 06:08:15 AM »

This album is actually up on Spotify (probably other streaming services) right now. I listened to half of it yesterday and it sounded great - I compared it to the original mix and I myself couldn’t find any difference in the mix, but I’m sure there are differences I’m just not picking up on.

I haven’t gotten to the instrumentals yet but I did listen to Rhapsody in Blue - AMAZING! It is extremely similar to his Disney Gershwin version, but with a younger Brian.

Is it remixed, or just remastered?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 06:39:37 AM »

Is it remixed, or just remastered?

Well that explains it, it is remastered, I always get those confused with one another.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 07:46:46 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27102.0.html

I dig you posting that. But I meant post release discussion. My bad.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 12:29:11 PM »

Really to hear Brian cover a Four Freshmen song ("Our Love is Here to Stay")
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 12:53:45 PM »

Really to hear Brian cover a Four Freshmen song ("Our Love is Here to Stay")

I have to say I wasn't crazy about this version. It's hard to hear Brian in the mix and the instrumental arrangement is very 90s adult contemporary. I much prefer Brian's version from his Reimagines Gershwin album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx9wZUfEtkg

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 01:47:00 PM »

Is the reissue available as a high res download? I can’t find it anywhere.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 02:13:48 PM »

Well anyways, I listened to the title track and I think the remaster sounds nice, though I thought the original was just fine. I also listened to all three bonus vocal tracks and I'm glad to add all three to my collection. I think that having "Rhapsody In Blue" and "Love Is Here To Stay" from this era is cool. The arrangement on "Love Is Here To Stay" was a bit surprising for me I must say.

Here's the thing though, I thought there were a few interesting Brian tidbits from his essay in the booklet. First off, he says that they "talked about doing a tour to play the album but they never did." Who knows if it got anywhere beyond one of them bringing it up, but I thought that was neat.

But then in the same paragraph he mentions that he was "making the record with Andy Paley by then so I was getting pretty busy. I'd love to get back to those songs eventually, too." (emphasis mine, not italicized nor bolded in booklet)

That part piqued my interest. I wonder if maybe the Paley session material may be in the pipeline. Personally I think that if it was gonna be marketed as a new project, Brian should probably re-record most of the vocals, as I think he could do better on a bunch of them, at least on the ballads. But yeah, maybe we get a BW archive release? Or maybe seeing as there is another anniversary for The Beach Boys next year (or 2022), perhaps use the Paley material for what seemed to be it's original purpose, a new Beach Boys album. I mean who knows about any of this, it mighta just been a throw away line in the essay. I guess we'll see.
I would write off the comment about the Paley sessions as just a throwaway line. It was decided not to try to make an album with those recordings; instead, they went with Joe Thomas.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 01:12:09 PM »

I would write off the comment about the Paley sessions as just a throwaway line. It was decided not to try to make an album with those recordings; instead, they went with Joe Thomas.

The thing is, the follow-up to Imagination ended up including several Paley tracks. Gettin' In Over My Head featured:

Gettin' in Over My Head
Soul Searchin' (remake with BW lead)
Saturday Morning in the City
Desert Drive

"Made in California" finally unveiled:

You're Still a Mystery
Soul Searchin' (Carl lead)

And the Brian Wilson Playback anthology doled out Some Sweet Day.

Those half-dozen songs are some of the very strongest from that batch of work. There are enough other songs to make an album, but some are rougher than others. The best-case scenario would be an archival release collecting everything, as well as a handful of new vocals or overdubs to finish some of things we never got to hear properly. (Hearing BW sing "God Did It" as opposed to Andy, for instance.) But it needs more of the material than what's still unreleased.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 02:48:30 PM »

I was there at the Earl! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GhnCTFuUqU&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR2jbRdjPwMcYeO0-QHOe5upJchnlB6-QzqQeZPX4MAH6glFdwSgfyQ6g9s

Cook pork throughly
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 04:21:37 PM »

The thing is, the follow-up to Imagination ended up including several Paley tracks. Gettin' In Over My Head featured:

Gettin' in Over My Head
Soul Searchin' (remake with BW lead)
Saturday Morning in the City
Desert Drive

"Made in California" finally unveiled:

You're Still a Mystery
Soul Searchin' (Carl lead)

And the Brian Wilson Playback anthology doled out Some Sweet Day.

Those half-dozen songs are some of the very strongest from that batch of work. There are enough other songs to make an album, but some are rougher than others. The best-case scenario would be an archival release collecting everything, as well as a handful of new vocals or overdubs to finish some of things we never got to hear properly. (Hearing BW sing "God Did It" as opposed to Andy, for instance.) But it needs more of the material than what's still unreleased.

There’s also “This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight” from the Do It Again UK CD single and “This Could Be the Night” from the Nilsson tribute album is also a Paley co-production from that period. Both which are quite good.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 10:52:16 PM »

Why does everyone think the vocals need to be redone??? Any of the vocals that were redone were not as good as the originals IMO.

“Getting in over my head” is not a Paley session last track as released.

“I’m Broke”, “Market Place”, and “It’s Not Easy Being Me” need to come out bad. Truly bizarre that Paley sessions and Adult Child are still unreleased.

PS “In my Moondreams” was released too.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 05:00:30 AM »

So was Sweets For My Sweet
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 02:04:53 PM »

Why does everyone think the vocals need to be redone??? Any of the vocals that were redone were not as good as the originals IMO.

I don't think the vocals need to be redone necessarily -- just that I'd prefer to hear Brian sing the songs rather than Andy. Several of the more intriguing songs from the sessions don't have Brian leads (Frankie Avalon, God Did It, that weird verse in Proud Mary).
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 02:06:46 PM »

Back to the topic at hand, though --

I can barely hear Brian at all on "Our Love is Here to Stay." And there seem to be other voices on "Rhapsody in Blue" too. Combine those with the axed orchestral backing on "What a Wonderful World," and the bonus tracks are pretty disappointing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 06:09:44 AM »

Brian Wilson & Van Dyke Parks - Words + Music (for Orange Crate Art)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcCRt5RGI2g

A promo for the album.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx