gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:24:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will you support my Carl Wilson petition?  (Read 3133 times)
GOK2021
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »

This is my first post on here, so please excuse any mistakes.
I have lurked here often over the past year or so - my fascination for all things Beach Boys brings me back time and time again, as I know on here somewhere, there's the answer to the latest obscure question that has popped into my head!
One thing I've found I have in common with many other fans, is that we feel Carl Wilson has never received the recognition he richly deserved in his lifetime, or indeed, to this day. With the news that Iconic plans to raise the profile of the Beach Boys, I felt this was a good time to do something to bring this massive oversight to their attention. So...ta da....I have created a petition. It went live yesterday afternoon, and is doing pretty well, 216 signatures the last time I looked, and some really great comments.
I'd be eternally grateful if you could take a moment to click on the link below, and take a look. And, if you feel able to, please, please, share and spread the word far and wide. I'd like to think that we could hit 500 signatures, or maybe even 1000!
Thanks for your time.
http://chng.it/C5YGH7Wsz2
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 12:49:37 PM »

I'm all for pushing for any and all Carl projects. But Brother/Iconic only controls Beach Boys assets/decisions, etc.

This sort of thing would really have to be championed mainly by Carl's estate (and the entities that own his solo material; meaning mostly not Brother/Iconic), and the estate has sadly not seemed very interested in doing anything with Carl's work or legacy in the 23 years since his passing.

They sign off on BB releases, which is of course a good thing. But while a documentary (or, at least, a substantive one anyway) pushed by the estate is understandably unlikely given how they all know that Carl was a private guy, I can't fathom why they haven't done something with his music. Carl *surely* has a bunch of unreleased material, which has to include some demos, etc.

They've really done seemingly literally zero Carl projects since his death, outside of one short-run expensive signature guitar (and not to be cynical, but it was a signature model of a guitar Carl hadn't used much since 1960-something). And I guess technically the "Beckley Lamm Wilson" project was a posthumous release, though that was likely pushed forward by Beckley and Lamm.

But more or less nothing. No book of concert photos. No audio releases. Nothing. Billy Hinsche put together a well-meaning DVD remembrance of Carl with a lot of interviews. While that was a nice gesture, and it was nice to hear all the nice things about Carl, it didn't really tell us much beyond Carl was a great guy, which we already knew. I don't expect personal demons to be explored or anything (though a substantive telling of his life including everything wouldn't be a *bad* thing obviously), but we don't even get a lot of anecdotes.

They did a few Carl-themed charity events, but those weren't memorialized with any CD or DVD or anything.

The one time they managed a Carl-themed compilation CD with both solo and BB material, it was a super-expensive, short-run CD that nobody but hardcore fans (who already had the material in most cases) bought.

Not trying to be cynical. We should have some Carl projects by now. Not sure what it will take for that to ever happen. The contemporaries of Carl are in their 70s and 80s; I'm not sure what can be done at this point.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GOK2021
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 03:09:52 PM »

I think we have to try, for Carl’s sake. From the responses to the petition it’s certainly something that fans would love to see happen. Hopefully the positive reaction to the petition plus Iconic’s powers of persuasion will encourage family members to get behind this.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 11:59:10 PM »

To be fair, we did finally get Carl's 2 solo albums on cd, with excellent liner notes from Billy, but there was nothing in the way of bonus material, other than the single edit of "Givin' You Up".
We got a poorly executed biography a few years ago.
Yes, it's time for Carl to be recognized for his major contributions to the Beach Boys.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 12:28:50 PM »

There has been a bio book written on Carl, Long Promised Road by Kent Crowley.

(Oops, just noticed that Lonely Summer mentioned it above.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 12:29:51 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 02:24:13 PM »

I signed the petition, hope it gains some traction.
I've said it before, but I feel that Carl has become the forgotten Beach Boy. Their story is basically etched in stone at this point, with the following things understood:
Brian Wilson is a genius. He was a tormented genius for many years, until an angel named Melinda came along to rescue him from the evil Dr. Landy.
Mike Love is the guy in the baseball cap, the guy who never takes a break from touring, and never stops mouthing off about one thing or another.
Al Jardine has a great voice.
Dennis Wilson was the other tormented genius in the Beach Boys; a great songwriter who died too young.
Bruce Johnston is the guy in the shorts adjusting his mic stand, and clapping for the audience. And he's a Republican.
David Marks is the guitar god that got kicked out of the group.
Blondie Chaplin is a great entertainer that always gets the crowd fired up.
And I probably shouldn't leave out Darian - the genius behind the genius.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 06:43:41 PM »

The one thing I'm starting to realize from doing the PET SQUARES show is what a great musician Carl was. He didn't have Brian's flair for composition but he was a much stronger and more well-rounded player, and contributed a lot more than just lead guitar. Basically anything that needed to be done within the band that was outside the realm seemed to get delegated to Carl.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 02:46:19 AM »

I've said it before, but I feel that Carl has become the forgotten Beach Boy. Their story is basically etched in stone at this point, with the following things understood:
Brian Wilson is a genius. He was a tormented genius for many years, until an angel named Melinda came along to rescue him from the evil Dr. Landy.
Mike Love is the guy in the baseball cap, the guy who never takes a break from touring, and never stops mouthing off about one thing or another.
Dennis Wilson was the other tormented genius in the Beach Boys; a great songwriter who died too young.
Bruce Johnston is the guy in the shorts adjusting his mic stand, and clapping for the audience. And he's a Republican.

I think the general consensus is that Carl was an incredible singer and that it was him who held the band together from the early 70s on. Not a bad legacy at all if you ask me.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 08:37:11 AM »

While we're at it:

"Feel Flows: A Tribute to Carl Wilson" is a short documentary directed by Brian Chidester, co-directed by Alan Boyd, produced originally (and screened) in 2003 for the 5th annual Carl Wilson Cancer Foundation event at UCLA. John Winer and Betty Collignon served as creative consultants and segment producers on the project.
Published 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaBkH9WXVsk

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 07:43:08 PM »

I think the general consensus is that Carl was an incredible singer and that it was him who held the band together from the early 70s on. Not a bad legacy at all if you ask me.
Wish we could get that message out to the general public. How many films do we need telling us Brian is a genius?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 02:44:41 AM »

Wish we could get that message out to the general public. How many films do we need telling us Brian is a genius?

Well, for obvious reasons there is no way not to talk about Brian when it comes to the Beach Boys. But I agree that a documentary (or something similar) would be nice that talks about each Beach Boy's contributions and talents and also looks at the incredible talent of the band as a whole. I don't know if that is possible as there is just sooooo much in that band to talk about. But maybe it could be done in giving a chapter of 10 mins to each of the guys for an in depth look.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 05:41:38 PM »

Well, for obvious reasons there is no way not to talk about Brian when it comes to the Beach Boys. But I agree that a documentary (or something similar) would be nice that talks about each Beach Boy's contributions and talents and also looks at the incredible talent of the band as a whole. I don't know if that is possible as there is just sooooo much in that band to talk about. But maybe it could be done in giving a chapter of 10 mins to each of the guys for an in depth look.
Billy Hinsche's dvd tribute to Carl was nice, but the obvious missing piece there was the music. He couldn't afford to license the rights to the music. There's some good insights to Carl as a musician and as a human being there, but most people are not going to sit through 2 plus hours of talking heads without some music to break it up.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 08:23:03 PM »

While we're at it:

"Feel Flows: A Tribute to Carl Wilson" is a short documentary directed by Brian Chidester, co-directed by Alan Boyd, produced originally (and screened) in 2003 for the 5th annual Carl Wilson Cancer Foundation event at UCLA. John Winer and Betty Collignon served as creative consultants and segment producers on the project.
Published 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaBkH9WXVsk

Unfortunately, this video is now "unavailable due to a copyright claim by Brother Records."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 08:23:33 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 03:15:40 AM »

I posted this in the media section but maybe you don't look there too often. Here's a segment about the Boys featuring footage I hadn't seen. Glen Campbell shares some nice comments about all three Wilsons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM4JGxD5LeQ

Ca. 12:45 mins.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:00:43 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 02:39:29 PM »

I posted this in the media section but maybe you don't look there too often. Here's a segment about the Boys featuring fottage I hadn't seen. Glen Campbell shares some nice comments about all three Wilsons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM4JGxD5LeQ

Ca. 12:45 mins.
[/quote
We need a like button here. ]
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx