gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:10:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Punk Appreciation Thread  (Read 19761 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2015, 04:56:20 PM »

Early black flag was great but they were in constant transitional phase before rollins,,Damaged was the band at their peak.

Eh. Henry sounds raspy/tired on much of the album and the mix sucks, and not in any "omg it's so lofi and kewl" punk rock sorta way.

My War is better. Admit it.

Also, the Misfits were better than every band you named sans maybe The Ramones.

ADMIT IT.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2015, 07:49:33 PM »

Early black flag was great but they were in constant transitional phase before rollins,,Damaged was the band at their peak.

Eh. Henry sounds raspy/tired on much of the album and the mix sucks, and not in any "omg it's so lofi and kewl" punk rock sorta way.

My War is better. Admit it.

Also, the Misfits were better than every band you named sans maybe The Ramones.

ADMIT IT.

I agree with you that Henry sounds tired on Damaged. I prefer the Keith Morris/Chavo/Dez era vocals personally. I'm not a Rollins fan, although I like some of the Loose Nut album.

I don't agree with you about the Misfits though. I consider them to be one of punks most overrated bands. They have a couple of okay tunes like Some Kinda Hate and Teenagers From Mars, but to me their records sound rushed and shitty. They ain't no Damned or Ramones. No way.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2015, 08:00:11 PM »

The ramones rule! They combined 1970s punk and retro nostalgia better than anybody. End of the century proved they could do 1960s Pop with the best of them.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2015, 08:12:25 PM »

The ramones rule! They combined 1970s punk and retro nostalgia better than anybody. End of the century proved they could do 1960s Pop with the best of them.

Agreed. Pleasant Dreams is one of my favorites.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2015, 05:54:30 PM »

The queers and travoltas may not have been in the first wave but the talent of joe king and perry leenhouts is staggering. Also how were the surf punks not a legit punk band when they DIY and were one of the pioneering groups along w the weirdos and dickes??
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »

The queers and travoltas may not have been in the first wave but the talent of joe king and perry leenhouts is staggering. Also how were the surf punks not a legit punk band when they DIY and were one of the pioneering groups along w the weirdos and dickes??

I wouldn't consider the Surf Punks a 'pioneering' group (I like them though, so don't get me wrong). They just remind me more of bands like Blotto (I Wanna Be A Lifeguard) rather than bands like The Germs or Fear. However, I like some of their stuff. The "Oh No Not Them Again" album is an entertaining record.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2015, 03:54:39 PM »

I wouldn't consider the Surf Punks a 'pioneering' group (I like them though, so don't get me wrong). They just remind me more of bands like Blotto (I Wanna Be A Lifeguard) rather than bands like The Germs or Fear. However, I like some of their stuff. The "Oh No Not Them Again" album is an entertaining record.
the first album aka my beach & second locals only are great, oh no not them again is a joke for sure tho,very weak.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx