gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:07:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Punk Appreciation Thread  (Read 19745 times)
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2006, 08:46:35 AM »

Cramerica,
  I was waitin' for that one! LOL
Bri
Chris D.
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2006, 09:35:30 AM »

Chris, thanks for posting that. After some other Lydon interviews of the last few years, I'm not surprised. If Lydon of 1975 had met Lydon of 2005 he would have called him an old wanker.

You're welcome.  And Mitchell may be right.  Lydon isn't too predictable.  Who the f*** knows.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2006, 11:07:57 AM »

I guess Green Day doesn't count anymore as Punk??  Though "American Idiot" is a classic already and will be 20 years from now.

Green Day sold out, they're pop now.

They always were, even when they were 16.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2006, 11:34:25 AM »

Amen, Ian.

Watch out for snakes!
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2006, 11:52:28 AM »

I wouldn't pay to much attention to what Lydon says now. He is a punk no more. Money does this to ya, and he knows it, remember "Big business is very wiiiiiiise" and that wasn't in 2005. Which is the reason why punk was so ephemeral, they were an easy target for being recuperated. BUT the songs remain, and not all people suffer from amnesia. How could Lydon NOT be disillusioned by Blairite politics, not that I am defending his curent POV. He is just a reflection of the effects of 25 odd years of Thatcherism unchallenged by what followed. The 1984 miners strike in Britain, the unions sell out and their defeat signed the death warrant to class struggle in the UK and many other European countries.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 11:54:03 AM by zelilgirlI1cenu » Logged

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
Chris D.
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2006, 12:19:32 PM »

I think Lydon is always worth paying attention to, even if he's dead wrong.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2006, 12:29:22 PM »

How come nobody's mentioned Rancid??

Rancid are actually really awesome, and my wife swears by Operation Ivy as well!
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2006, 12:59:55 PM »

I think Lydon is always worth paying attention to, even if he's dead wrong.
I said paying attention to what he said, :-)

Chris D.
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2006, 01:04:27 PM »

Uh huh.
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2006, 04:40:27 PM »

Uh huh.

uh huh HUH! There is an Irish play called "Philadelphia here I come!"

Chris D.
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2006, 04:55:44 PM »

Uh huh.

uh huh HUH! There is an Irish play called "Philadelphia here I come!"

Hahaha, you're going psycho tonight.  But, even Lydon's most inane thoughts are worth HEARING from his mouth Smiley

Phillay, Phillayyyy....how old is your play?
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2006, 01:59:52 AM »

Brian Friel is the word,
1964 is the year
http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/6353

Work will make you insane, sorta :-)

An anything provoking is worth listening to, but the lesson of its content is worth sh*t to you.
It's all in the stance.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »

I know this is an old thread but the way I see it it's as relevant as ever! KICK OUT THE JAMS mo'fos!!

*cough*

I finally got around to reading this handy little masterpiece:

Anyone know it? Basically it's the history of punk rock and related styles, pieced together of interview fragments with all the major players. It's as (un)filtered as this particular approach allows (which doesn't make it messy but rather highly entertaining), freakishly candid and massively informative. Trust me, McNeil and McCain exhaust all the adverbs for positive criticism you might think you know. And then you just stand there, swept away. And that, ladies and germs, is punk.

Essential recommendation for all veneres in furs and dead boys!
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2014, 06:51:29 PM »

Please Kill Me is hilarious, especially those stories of Dee Dee Ramone and his wife having those scary fights. They were the original Sid & Nancy LOL

As far as punk rock goes, THE DAMNED were the best. They knew how to play their instruments and write excellent songs (sorry, but to me The Clash couldn't do either of those things...The Clash are way over-rated). Check out the Damned's Machine Gun Etiquette or Strawberries album. There are moments of psychedlia and pop perfection. Captain Sensible is insanely under-rated as a guitarist, singer and songwriter.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2014, 08:12:43 AM »

Please Kill Me is hilarious, especially those stories of Dee Dee Ramone and his wife having those scary fights. They were the original Sid & Nancy LOL

As far as punk rock goes, THE DAMNED were the best. They knew how to play their instruments and write excellent songs (sorry, but to me The Clash couldn't do either of those things...The Clash are way over-rated). Check out the Damned's Machine Gun Etiquette or Strawberries album. There are moments of psychedlia and pop perfection. Captain Sensible is insanely under-rated as a guitarist, singer and songwriter.

Completely agree about the Damned and Sensible.

But the Clash couldn't play?  What were they doing on those double and triple albums--slapping strings and grunting?  I don't see how they're inferior to the Damned as far as playing goes.  Ditto the Stranglers or Magazine or many other bands.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2014, 08:33:31 AM »

They could 'play', just not as good as the Damned or The Stranglers. Maybe I was being a tad rough on the Clash. I'm a big fan of 70s era punk. There were some great bands back then like The Buzzcocks, X, The Weirdos, The Ramones, Dead Boys, The Electric Chairs. I just don't dig the Clash. I don't like anything on that Sandanista album. But hey, lots of people dig them. My loss then, right? I like a few tunes off their first LP (White Riot is cool). I'm not a fan of reggae music really. I never liked that punk-reggae or punk-ska combination. Op Ivy doesn't work for me. But again, lots of people like it, so...

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2014, 08:52:21 AM »

I'm not a fan of reggae music really. I never liked that punk-reggae or punk-ska combination.
Same here! There's very few Clash tracks I like.. Great band, just not my kind of punk.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »

I just watched a fascinating documentary last week on the Clash, I'd highly recommend it to anyone posting in this thread. It was on a cable channel I can't remember....It was called "The Rise And Fall Of The Clash".

Maybe it was the focus of the producers, but I came away thinking much more of Mick Jones' role in the band and their sound, as I think he had been overshadowed by Joe Strummer's image especially after Joe passed away. The great unspoken words on the Clash are what they became after Mick Jones was fired, and it was nothing less than a farce and a shambles...musically and otherwise. And yet Strummer's posthumous legacy carries on a notion that maybe admirers want to believe versus what really happened in the 80's to this band.

Apart from that Clash comment, what I always have a hard time with in general when discussing punk is the definition of punk music and the non-musical elements of punk music which can sometimes be over-romanticized as an image replacing reality.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »

'Punk' means different things to different people. The 'crusty anarcho punx' feel that punk is only authentic when it's 100% DIY with absolutely no major label help, which excludes lots of early punk since most of them were on big labels. That doesn't describe it musically. For somebody like me, 'punk rock' as a music form is a basic high-energy hard-rock type of music with an angst or rebellious nature to it, but that could describe a song like 'All I Want To Do' from 20/20. I think The Ramones, whether they meant to or not, made the purest form of what I'm trying to describe. Same with The Damned's first album. The original punks were rebelling against dinosaur stadium rock like ELP and disco. Of course 'punk' is a fashion too. I won't get into that because everybody knows what punk fashion looks like. 'Punk' is an attitude. Anti-This and Anti-That. Some punk bands (actually most punk bands) are left wing (Crass, Dead Kennedys, Discharge) whilst some are right wing (like those terrible skinhead bands).

I prefer the early days of punk when the bands were unique. Todays it's all uniformed...no originality.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:08:01 PM by Garneau Mike Woonsocket » Logged

The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »

They could 'play', just not as good as the Damned or The Stranglers. Maybe I was being a tad rough on the Clash. I'm a big fan of 70s era punk. There were some great bands back then like The Buzzcocks, X, The Weirdos, The Ramones, Dead Boys, The Electric Chairs. I just don't dig the Clash. I don't like anything on that Sandanista album. But hey, lots of people dig them. My loss then, right? I like a few tunes off their first LP (White Riot is cool). I'm not a fan of reggae music really. I never liked that punk-reggae or punk-ska combination. Op Ivy doesn't work for me. But again, lots of people like it, so...

I think that's fair.  You're not really saying they can't play, just that you don't like the style of most of their songs.
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2014, 11:44:41 AM »

Maybe it was the focus of the producers, but I came away thinking much more of Mick Jones' role in the band and their sound, as I think he had been overshadowed by Joe Strummer's image especially after Joe passed away. The great unspoken words on the Clash are what they became after Mick Jones was fired, and it was nothing less than a farce and a shambles...musically and otherwise. And yet Strummer's posthumous legacy carries on a notion that maybe admirers want to believe versus what really happened in the 80's to this band.

That was a decent documentary.  Jones was the brains of the group.  Those types are often not as appreciate as the face of the group, unfortunately.  Though that's not meant to be against Strummer.  They both wrote the songs, for the most part.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2015, 09:22:35 PM »

'Punk' means different things to different people. The 'crusty anarcho punx' feel that punk is only authentic when it's 100% DIY with absolutely no major label help, which excludes lots of early punk since most of them were on big labels. That doesn't describe it musically. For somebody like me, 'punk rock' as a music form is a basic high-energy hard-rock type of music with an angst or rebellious nature to it, but that could describe a song like 'All I Want To Do' from 20/20. I think The Ramones, whether they meant to or not, made the purest form of what I'm trying to describe. Same with The Damned's first album. The original punks were rebelling against dinosaur stadium rock like ELP and disco. Of course 'punk' is a fashion too. I won't get into that because everybody knows what punk fashion looks like. 'Punk' is an attitude. Anti-This and Anti-That. Some punk bands (actually most punk bands) are left wing (Crass, Dead Kennedys, Discharge) whilst some are right wing (like those terrible skinhead bands).

I prefer the early days of punk when the bands were unique. Todays it's all uniformed...no originality.
absolutely right bout All I want to do from 20/20, that was punk before it was ccalled it, same goes for Let us go pn this way & Roller skating child from Love You...with the Ramones being the greatest and most substantial next to the BBs it makes sense. Best punk groups:: Ramones, Dictators, Descendents, Queers, Travoltas, Fear, Minutemen, Black Flag (damaged & tv party), Angry Samoans, Agent Orange, and the Surf Punks...also the first Skrewdriver before the nazi sh*t.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2015, 10:27:53 PM »

You didn't list the Misfits and My War, Everything Went Black and The First Four Years are a lot better than Damaged. ADMIT IT.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2015, 06:08:48 AM »

Early black flag was great but they were in constant transitional phase before rollins,,Damaged was the band at their peak.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2015, 01:56:27 PM »

absolutely right bout All I want to do from 20/20, that was punk before it was ccalled it, same goes for Let us go pn this way & Roller skating child from Love You...with the Ramones being the greatest and most substantial next to the BBs it makes sense. Best punk groups:: Ramones, Dictators, Descendents, Queers, Travoltas, Fear, Minutemen, Black Flag (damaged & tv party), Angry Samoans, Agent Orange, and the Surf Punks...also the first Skrewdriver before the nazi sh*t.

I'd add The Damned, Dead Kennedys and The Buzzcocks to that list. But I can't agree that The Queers or The Travoltas belong in a Best Punk Groups list (well not mine anyway...) And also definitely not Skrewdriver (and that includes their non-racist stuff like All Skrewed Up...overrated by the Oi scene...bleccchhH!!!!!!!) I'm not sure that the Surf Punks are a legit 'punk' band. More of a silly loud-new-wave-comedy band. I do, however, agree that The Dictators, Fear, Angry Samoans, Minutemen and (early) Black Flag were freakin' great punk bands. Fear were incredible. Lee Ving is a great singer when he wants to actually sing! And their drummer Spit Stix was a machine!! His beats were insanely tight and technical. They should have made more albums. I think they only have 3 studio albums. I love the first two (The Record, More Beer). Dead Kennedys were a talented band too. I was lucky enough to play two shows with my old band opening for the Dead Kennedys two nights back to back. You could really hear the surf rock influence in East Bay Ray's playing. But yeah back in the day there were some great punk bands. But I can't say I enjoy any punk from the 90s or 2000s. Same goes for Prog Rock with me. Just nothing grabs me like the old sh*t.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx