gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:53:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston on virus quarantine, 60th Anniversary rumors and lots more  (Read 5409 times)
RockabillyNBlues
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2020, 04:42:04 PM »

James Riley and Beth Riley start a new podcast series of artist conversations.  There's no schedule for when these will be released but will happen as time permits.  First guest is Bruce Johnston!  You probably know him as a long time member of The Beach Boys which we discuss as well as many more fun topics including Surf music origins, Bill Yerkes' book Surfboards, Stratocastors, Striped Shirts (info on how to get a special discounted copy below), how he's spending his time during the virus quarantine, International Surf Day (June 20th...which is also Brian Wilson's birthday), possible 60th Anniversary of The Beach Boys and much more!

Listen here:
http://rockabillynblues.blogspot.com/2020/06/artist-spotlight-podcast-series-bruce.html
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 10:44:19 PM »

This interview this is sourced from is one of Bruce’s best ever. Absolutely wonderful.

So cool to hear about him playing on Moon Dawg!

I couldn’t agree more with what he said about there almost being a necessity for two BB bands, to cater to different crowds and provide different, yet complimentary, experiences. Seeing each band makes you appreciate the other. They both are excellent.

A 60th reunion seems to be in the works, even though, unsurprisingly, Bruce doesn’t seem to be one of the key people coordinating it. I think he’s just along for the ride with whatever Mike wants to do, he’s made that clear over the years... yet, hearing him say “sign me up” when talking about the BW band certainly makes me wonder about an alternate dimension where Bruce went w/ Brian instead of Mike...

The Add Some Music re-record sounds promising. Sounds like Mike, Bruce, Al, and David are involved (or to be). Wilson Phillips playing increases makes me actually think they’ll get Brian along for the ride. And for a nonprofit? That’d be neat.

Bruce had a lot of really neat things to say in this interview. He was extremely complimentary - off the top of my head shouting out Brian, Mike, Al, Blondie, Carl, Dennis, David, Christian Love, Scott Totten, and others with nothing but nice things to say.

It’s hard to remember how many Surf staples Bruce was involved with! Even he can’t remember always 😂 It’s only when you dig and listen to these interviews that you learn how many classic Surf songs Bruce was apart of. Mind blowing.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 08:44:43 AM »

That's good of him to say about both bands, and he's right. There was a time when Mike's band lent a little too heavily on the inflatable palm trees side of things but they're both really good now (although to be honest, I think stuffing both bands full of hardened session musicians has its downsides). People should absolutely see both.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 11:44:31 AM »

It's great to hear such positivity right now!

I dig that he was saying that when he turns the TV off he feels totally fine....in my experience this is 100% correct. Not that we should completely ignore current events, but the news has a great way of making you feel 1000x more anxious than you should about certain events.

His thoughts about Brian's band are so nice. He seems absolutely confident that they could put on a perfect 60th reunion show(s)...I completely agree with him.

Also great to hear that he has been writing music during this down time.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 06:57:39 PM »

People on this board who've encountered Bruce who say sometimes he's not nice, and sometimes he's great. He was great here.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 11:41:46 AM »

When he's prepared and focused for the press, Bruce is always charming. He seems to have problems with the more spontaneous moments when folks approach him, though, to be fair, he's often perfectly pleasant under such conditions. Don Goldberg captured some of the chameleon-like traits that Bruce displays in his autobiography--though, again, that was from an especially fraught period in the band (when Bruce was clearly feeling like an odd man out during the Rieley years; and, indeed was "out" of the band within a few months of the incident Goldberg describes).

It's great to hear them talk about a 60th--pulling that off without the "bad taste in the mouth" that marred what was otherwise a pretty stellar 50th would be a wonderful way to go out. As Bruce alluded to in the podcast, it's virtually certain that there won't be a 70th.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 01:48:28 PM »

I guess it's not surprising, *of course* Bruce during times like this would be of the mind of "I just shut the TV off" to avoid everything. Of course Bruce Johnston would pick a moment like this to not stand up for anything.

Yes, as others have mentioned, this is the "ten thumbs up!" Bruce one usually gets during scheduled interviews.

No offense to Bruce when I say that if the band tried another reunion, I'd just be content for him to show up and be on stage, maybe sing "Disney Girls." I'm not sure what else he can add. I guess just make sure to *not* show up again on TMZ mid-tour reminding everybody how old and conservative and stuck in the past he is.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 03:56:02 PM »

I guess it's not surprising, *of course* Bruce during times like this would be of the mind of "I just shut the TV off" to avoid everything. Of course Bruce Johnston would pick a moment like this to not stand up for anything.

Actually he stood up for the Surfrider Foundation which has been sharing and writing about their push for racial equality at the beaches (and racial equality in general).

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 05:02:46 PM »

Actually he stood up for the Surfrider Foundation which has been sharing and writing about their push for racial equality at the beaches (and racial equality in general).

Sorry,  Bruce's politics are well known and he's pretty open about it.   I'm not saying he's never stood for or supported any good cause. I just found it unfortunate but not surprising that in the current climate his go to answer is to avoid looking at the news presumably to avoid having the feel bad about it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »

I gotta say re: Bruce. While doing the liners for the upcoming box set, we did a nearly three-hour interview. To ME -- he was the MVP. Amazing recall. Was able to put it in razor sharp perspective and proved that he's actually thought long and hard about this music. I wish we could use it all -- because he went far deeper than ever on this era, discussing at length what made this band tick during those years. He went full out. Pulled no punches.

Brian also went hardcore on the '69-'71 era in a way he hasn't anywhere else.
Depending on the day, the dude remembers -- him discussing the genesis "Marcella" was a pinch-me moment.

I CANNOT wait for you all to hear this thing. It kills me that you haven't already.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 05:26:50 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 06:46:41 PM »

I have to say, I myself also can barely stand to watch tv or listen to radio or follow the news on the internet.  That doesn’t mean I’m not aware of current events, or that I don’t care about what’s going on in the world.  It’s just that COVID-19 and racial issues are constantly beating into my head.  If I watch any media at all, it’s a matter of SECONDS before I’m reminded to “wash my hands with SOAP” (what else would I wash my hands with - ketchup?) or “wear a mask in public”.  I’ve been reminded THOUSANDS of times, I GET IT!!!  And I’m also very aware that this country has been screwed up about handling race issues for CENTURIES. It’s not a new issue.  I do my bit - I’ve worked in human services for 45 years (holy crap, I’m OLD!)and have worked with people from every walk of life.  I try to be fair to everyone and help where I can.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 07:06:48 PM »

I gotta say re: Bruce. While doing the liners for the upcoming box set, we did a nearly three-hour interview. To ME -- he was the MVP. Amazing recall. Was able to put it in razor sharp perspective and proved that he's actually thought long and hard about this music. I wish we could use it all -- because he went far deeper than ever on this era, discussing at length what made this band tick during those years. He went full out. Pulled no punches.

Brian also went hardcore on the '69-'71 era in a way he hasn't anywhere else.
Depending on the day, the dude remembers -- him discussing the genesis "Marcella" was a pinch-me moment.

I CANNOT wait for you all to hear this thing. It kills me that you haven't already.
Okay, you got me salivating.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 09:07:58 PM »

Sorry,  Bruce's politics are well known and he's pretty open about it.   I'm not saying he's never stood for or supported any good cause. I just found it unfortunate but not surprising that in the current climate his go to answer is to avoid looking at the news presumably to avoid having the feel bad about it.

News it literally sensationalist theater, I don't care if you're a republican, democrat, libertarian, or Green Party...it's meant to cause anxiety to boost ratings for whatever station is running - be it CNN or Fox News. As someone who strongly believes in racial equality for all I don't feel wary of stating my true beliefs about mainstream news media, especially in the current climate...it is theater, plain and simple. So if Bruce wants to turn his TV off, I say GO BRUCE!

Bruce shouted out his Surfrider Foundation that is clearly supporting the current push for racial equality, so I honestly don't get what you're on about. Funny thing is, to my best belief Brian Wilson hasn't posted anything about the current issues on any of his social media platforms, but no one is calling him out on it. If Brian turned off the news would anyone blame him? No, because the news would probably drive him crazy. Why should it be any less believable that the news has the potential to drive Bruce crazy?

@Mtaber - Exactly! The news has done nothing but cause divisiveness and anxiety. Be proactive in trying to bring people together, be aware of current events. Bruce has done plenty to bring people together with his music....maybe if he changed his Facebook profile pic to a black box people would really see that he is doing everything he can to help fight racial injustice! /s
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:08:43 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 09:27:20 AM »

Sorry,  Bruce's politics are well known and he's pretty open about it.   I'm not saying he's never stood for or supported any good cause. I just found it unfortunate but not surprising that in the current climate his go to answer is to avoid looking at the news presumably to avoid having the feel bad about it.

News it literally sensationalist theater, I don't care if you're a republican, democrat, libertarian, or Green Party...it's meant to cause anxiety to boost ratings for whatever station is running - be it CNN or Fox News. As someone who strongly believes in racial equality for all I don't feel wary of stating my true beliefs about mainstream news media, especially in the current climate...it is theater, plain and simple. So if Bruce wants to turn his TV off, I say GO BRUCE!

Bruce shouted out his Surfrider Foundation that is clearly supporting the current push for racial equality, so I honestly don't get what you're on about. Funny thing is, to my best belief Brian Wilson hasn't posted anything about the current issues on any of his social media platforms, but no one is calling him out on it. If Brian turned off the news would anyone blame him? No, because the news would probably drive him crazy. Why should it be any less believable that the news has the potential to drive Bruce crazy?

@Mtaber - Exactly! The news has done nothing but cause divisiveness and anxiety. Be proactive in trying to bring people together, be aware of current events. Bruce has done plenty to bring people together with his music....maybe if he changed his Facebook profile pic to a black box people would really see that he is doing everything he can to help fight racial injustice! /s

Good Post. I certainly didn't get the impression Bruce was turning off the news, so as to not take a stand on anything, but rather to emphasize that we all need a break from it occasionally.

It's an interview about the roots of surf music..everything doesn't have to be a political platform
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 09:28:13 AM by Juice Brohnston » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 07:16:40 PM »

Back to the music...

Did anybody notice that when talking about Mike's recording adventures as of late, Bruce pretty much said that he thinks Mike's albums worth of material  from early in the aughts was the one worthy of being released? Seems like he hears the same thing that a lot of us have. It's pretty plain that most of the recordings from that era were stronger than most of Unleash the Love and 12 Sides of Summer. At least Mike still used the same "Cool Head, Warm Heart" on Unleash the Love.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 07:22:44 PM »

Maybe this time they might actually focus on the Uk/Ireland.

Crazy to think the 50th tour just went to London, they sold like 20 thousands tickets in a few hours and never added more dates.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx