gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:27:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ESQ - Sunflower Special Edition  (Read 6083 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2020, 06:47:37 AM »

I don't see a mention of the latest issue of ESQ, as I usually do upon release...so here goes. Featuring a spiffy new sessionography by yours truly...

https://esquarterly.com/2020/04/15/the-beach-boys-sunflower-50th-anniversary-special-edition/
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 08:11:05 AM »

You've got to write a book I can buy on Amazon Kindle.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 02:16:33 PM »

If Craig wrote a book on the BBs' sessions, I'd buy it in hardback!

I read that ESQ cover-to-cover -- great issue.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:17:29 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 02:20:18 PM »

Tremendous issue sunflower right up there with my favorite recordings by the boys
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 03:49:32 PM »

I have read ESQ from issue #1 , this is the best issue ever!

Cook pork throughly
sixtiesstereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 05:17:50 AM »

I just went there to order the single issue on Sunflower and it says out of stock.....
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 09:05:05 AM »

I just ordered it and it said 20 copies left.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 02:03:22 PM »

I purchased a subscription last night, the new issue will arrive in 7-10 days! This LP has been a favorite since I first heard my used copy in 1989 or so. It's a good one to introduce people to their early 70s era. I purchased it after I had already owned Surf's Up and Holland for a few months.
sixtiesstereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 05:15:46 AM »

I just ordered it and it said 20 copies left.
  Yep.  I just went back there and now they have 8 copies in stock.  So it went from out of stock
to back in stock.  Ordered it.  Thanks for the update.
sixtiesstereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 10:14:44 AM »

I don't see a mention of the latest issue of ESQ, as I usually do upon release...so here goes. Featuring a spiffy new sessionography by yours truly...
I got my copy of this a few days ago, and it was a great read.  Since you mentioned your sessionography, I want to thank you for
all of the details.  And, as others have said, it would be great if you put out a complete BB sessions book.  It would be the
ultimate resource for those of us wanting that type of session info.
quad73
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 08:27:57 AM »

Yeah a Sessions book is long overdue. There´s not enough info in the newer remixed/remasters cds either.
Maybe a Patrion page could help bring this to life?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 08:48:25 AM »

Well, I think unless some publisher steps in, it's a long shot.  I have been wanting to do a sessions book for many years but haven't found enough interest (from publishers or fans) to make it anything other than a labor of love I'd have to pay for out of pocket.  I'm sure Craig feels similarly, though I oughtn't speak for him.  What would be great would be to get the band behind it to at least make it easier to get the full range of information needed to ensure the most accuracy, and help tracking down unpublished photos and such.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 09:11:59 AM »

The problem is, once we "publish" info, additional info, insight, corrections, or additions eventually materialize, rendering the original version obsolete. A website is easy to update, but once something is out there in a book, it tends to stay out there, even if it's now deemed incorrect or incomplete. You could a second or third addition, but obviously that takes time (like years), and would a publisher be willing to do that? Maybe not. Brad Elliott encountered this problem shortly after the publication of his milestone tome, "Surf's Up - The Beach Boys On Record, 1961-1981". But he found an outlet to publish the corrections and additions, via a regular column in the "Add Some Music" fanzine.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 09:39:59 AM »

The problem is, once we "publish" info, additional info, insight, corrections, or additions eventually materialize, rendering the original version obsolete. A website is easy to update, but once something is out there in a book, it tends to stay out there, even if it's now deemed incorrect or incomplete. You could a second or third addition, but obviously that takes time (like years), and would a publisher be willing to do that? Maybe not. Brad Elliott encountered this problem shortly after the publication of his milestone tome, "Surf's Up - The Beach Boys On Record, 1961-1981". But he found an outlet to publish the corrections and additions, via a regular column in the "Add Some Music" fanzine.

By this logic, no one should ever publish anything in print?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 09:55:04 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:35:21 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 10:12:55 AM »

I definitely think there's a point at which a definitive record could be published, but for something like this it takes peer review and collaboration to get there. Everything's solvable eventually though. The recordings aren't changing in a hurry and much better information is available nowadays.

We've been peer reviewing the sessions for a good long time by now -- I agree that it's possible to confidently publish a definitive document.  And like all historical documentation, the expectation is that we did our best at the time;  I wouldn't get rid of Irving's biography of Washington just because Chernow's has more up-tp-date information.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 10:26:37 AM »

Does that mean you’d be interested in eventually updating your website with more information?

EDIT: I’d hate to repeatedly annoy you with this; it’s just something that I (and hopefully a lot of others) would be really looking forward too.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 03:12:07 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 10:28:22 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:35:11 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 07:35:56 PM »

By this logic, no one should ever publish anything in print?

Well, in my case at least, if I had initially published my work back in 2002 or so, when I began putting my essays out there in earnest and people were clamoring for a book, I would now deem that initial attempt laughable. I think it's continually getting closer to the point where it could be doable - and to Salty's point, peer review and collaboration would be the key in ensuring the highest degree of accuracy (my field of study at the University of Nebraska was, after all, historical research). Fortunately, I believe the two of you are more than worthy peers. Smiley 
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 02:29:39 PM »

I know a guy about to publish a session book on The Guess Who which will be out this fall.  If there's interest in a book on those guys, you would think The Beach Boys would have just as much interest.  But I can understand the reluctance as well.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 02:54:45 PM »

I still use Chip Madinger and Mark Easter's "Eight Arms to Hold You: A Solo Beatles Compendium", and it stops at the year 2000 and certainly in the last twenty years more things have surfaced.

I think the economics of the publishing business and the willingness of fandom are major issues. I don't think fear of new info coming to light would be a big issue at this point.

Even the Beatles book market, which has a larger base than the BBs, is a struggling market. The harder core the info gets, the harder it is to get published. "101 Zany Beatles Trivia Factoids!" can get published, but Bruce Spizer can't get his multi-book series in print physically again, nor can many other research/reference books.

So I can only imagine it's even harder for the BBs stuff. I'm still waiting for another printing of the Ken Sharp Dennis Wilson book; from everything I've heard it's amazing and should be in every BB student/scholar's collection, but it clearly didn't get much attention. I don't even think it got a huge push in ESQ (someone correct me if I'm wrong and it got more than a regular-size book review).

I think a Madinger/Easter sort of book for the BBs might be a good alternate; that is, to catalog everything "available" as opposed to everything recorded.

Lewisohn's Beatles sessions books are second to none and core collection material, but there's something about reading about recordings you'll never hear that can be frustrating.

A BB book cataloging all available material would ironically be even more susceptible to needing updates of course, as they continue archival releases and new material does pop up.

What we have now that wasn't available 20 years ago are things like Patreon and Kickstarter where a BB sessions book could be properly funded. A huge thick book would probably have to be sold for $100 or maybe even more.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:29:43 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 02:57:53 PM »

I know a guy about to publish a session book on The Guess Who which will be out this fall.  If there's interest in a book on those guys, you would think The Beach Boys would have just as much interest.  But I can understand the reluctance as well.

Who is publishing it?  Is he doing it himself?
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 07:15:37 AM »

I know a guy about to publish a session book on The Guess Who which will be out this fall.  If there's interest in a book on those guys, you would think The Beach Boys would have just as much interest.  But I can understand the reluctance as well.

Who is publishing it?  Is he doing it himself?
He is using Friesen Press which is self-publishing.  They take care of the editing and distribution but the author has 100% control over content.  His name is Robert Lawson out of Toronto and he can be contacted anytime on Facebook.  The book will be called Wheatfield Empire: The Listener's Guide to The Guess Who with a September release date.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:46:51 AM by Ram4 » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 11:19:23 AM »

Thanks.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 01:38:44 PM »

[ghostly whisper of the words "MIC online sessionography" on the wind]

Yeah, what the hell ever happened with that?

By contrast the detail in the Smile Sessions was incredible - that set the bar IMO.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx