gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:28:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys UK tour 1970 with The Flame query  (Read 1742 times)
chrisb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2020, 03:16:59 AM »

The Ian Rusten/Jon Stebbings 'The Beach Boys In Concert' book shows The Flame as supporting the Beach Boys on all their UK dates from November 19th to December 6th. However I have today come across a boxed advert in the Melody Maker (weekly music paper) gigs page, published in the last week of November which says:
"Peter Rice Agency announces THE FLAME at
28th November-Revolution
29th November Blaises
30th November Revolution
1st, 2nd 3rd, 4th December Revolution
5th December Marquee
6th December Blaises
Currently Touring with The Beach Boys"

These dates all coincide with The Beach Boys residencies at the Fiesta Clubs in Stockton and Sheffield.
Is it possible that The Flame didn't actually support the band at these residencies as the book suggests, and arranged all these London club gigs instead? If not it seems a very strange ad to place- both for its timing in the last week of November, and the wording 'Currently touring with The Beach Boys' in the advert.
Info welcomed please- thanks  
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:10:00 AM by chrisb » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 02:51:47 PM »

Just putting it out there but it the wording does imply an effort to promote The Flame in a way that is better than the usual ‘plus support act’ or the headline act in large print followed by the opening act in small print. Flame was signed with Brother from memory so it was in the best interests of The Beach Boys to launch a seperate career for them if possible.
chrisb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 08:55:37 AM »

See the Advert I mentioned above, on this link:
https://www.45worlds.com/live/listing/nc259530uk&rc=296748#296748
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:56:03 AM by chrisb » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 07:37:20 AM »

I believe that you are right ....The Flame were the openers on the 1970 tour but I think maybe they didn't play all the Fiesta shows. That being said I have a program for the Sheffield residency and they are listed on the bill as an opening act....so go figure.  Anyways-a very rare error by some excellent authors Grin
chrisb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 02:26:22 AM »

Thanks Ian, I dip in and out of your excellent book often. But this is a puzzle isn't it? No doubt a little story there, still to be uncovered. Looks Like I'll go back and amend those gig entries in 45worlds, highlighting the discrepancy from programme to advert.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 01:34:34 PM »

Well the legendary sneaky Pete-attended one of the Stockton shows and he says there was no opener. He also has a friend who was at a Sheffield show and the flame were not there either-so I guess that settles it!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx