gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:19:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about With Me Tonight  (Read 1107 times)
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2020, 09:30:20 AM »

So there might already be a thread about this, but I’ve noticed this for a long time, and I just have a question.
So here’s the Mono mix:
https://youtu.be/-INZyQXQwso
And here’s the stereo remix:
https://youtu.be/YxP_tmAxiek
Did they use a different vocal take for both of these? Because in the mono mix, I hear a lot of Carl, where as in the stereo mix, Carl can barely be heard, and Brian dominates the mix. Plus, they just sound very different.
Obviously, the stereo mix has been overly cleaned up and polished, a choice that I’m still not sure how I feel about when it comes to this album’s remix, but still. There’s just something different about them both.
Also, am I the only one who feels wrong listening to the stereo version of Smiley Smile?
I enjoy every other stereo remix, and I even enjoyed this one at times, but I just feel guilty listening to it.
It’s well known that the original album was mixed and put together basically in one long session, and barely produce. There’s tape noise,  mistakes and background chatter all over this thing. And that’s what’s so great about it. It’s like they took the best of the party album, mixed it with Smile and this is the result.
Meanwhile, the stereo mix feels like they went out of their way to remove all the character from the album. It’s super polished, high-quality, clean, all the tape hiss and background noise is nowhere to be found, and I don’t think that that was the point of this album.
However, I still love every other stereo mix. Especially the Wild Honey 2017 stereo mix.
And just for context, I listen to almost everything out of headphones, so stereo is my preferred format. Again, with the exception of this album
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 10:37:48 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:36:32 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx