gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:49:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: “Friends of The Beach Boys” and “Celebrate the Newsletter”  (Read 2680 times)
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2020, 05:35:36 PM »

I’ve been cleaning out my attic and found some copies of my old fanzines from the late ‘70’s to early ‘80’s.  If anyone is interested in killing some brain cells, these two publications are just what the doctor ordered! 

I’m curious to know if anyone on the board used to get my newsletters.  If so, I apologize for any damage done to your psyche...
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 07:50:21 PM »

Yes Marty, I used to subscribe to FOTBB.  I was away at college at the time & used to look forward to the newsletter showing up in my mailbox.  All these years later, thanks for all your effort!
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 03:54:03 AM »

Me, too. I really enjoyed them.   Grin

Watson, did you hear this?
CJS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 06:00:57 AM »

Me too... I also remember driving out to Brockport to play you an advance copy of Problem Child that I obtained...... lol

CJ

celticsurfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 07:46:26 AM »

Hello Marty, I still have the complete set of FOTHBB an CTN.
they were really fun to read in that dark BB era.

celticsurfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 08:01:51 AM »

Hi Marty, I still have te complete sets of both fanzines/newsletters: They were informative and really fun to read; They dated from dark Beach Boys Ages, times with Pacific Ocean Blue and times with 2 factions the Wilsons and Love/Jardine. What a time! From France au revoir!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 10:41:03 AM »

Something to never admit to your kids -

“I actually paid MONEY for these fanzines back in the day,”
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 05:59:27 PM »

Geez, I should do a new issue of Celebrate the Newsletter and INTERVIEW ROCKY!!!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 10:11:26 AM »

I found FRIENDS OF THE BEACH BOYS wildly entertaining and funny in the late 70s.  As I recall, you guys seemed to be at war with Dennis around 1978.  I remember reading an article about Dennis entitled "BORN WITH A D-CK INSTEAD OF A BRAIN" or something like that...
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 01:38:09 PM »

Steve.  There was never a “war” with Dennis.  When he was doing his solo album, I had a “what should Dennis call his new album?” contest.  There were a number of good suggestions, but the winning entry was “I Was Born With A c*ck Instead of a Brain”.  Many presumed that I came up with that title, but it wasn’t me.  The person who submitted that title swore me to secrecy and I’ve never given that information out. 
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 04:19:52 PM »

Well, there you go.  Thanks for correcting my memory...
chrisb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 12:45:18 PM »

I have one or two issues and have entered them on the 45worlds (Magazine) site- theres several other BB fanzines from around the world I've enterd there too, but I have too many to have done them all.
Here's one:  https://www.45worlds.com/magazine/issue/friends-of-the-beach-boys-6
and here's another: https://www.45worlds.com/magazine/issue/celebrate-the-newsletter-3

All the 45worlds, and 45cat (for 7" singles) are well worth a look and maybe adding missing items/comments
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 12:52:14 PM by chrisb » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx