gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:10:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UPDATE: Brian performing on Colbert 6/4 at 11:35 PM ET on CBS  (Read 10612 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 10:21:00 AM »

I loved those performances. Just pure, real, raw performances capturing a moment in time. While I agree there is a bittersweet if not sad element in watching my own musical idols age, it's a reminder that it's part of the natural progression, and it happens to all of us. To do it gracefully - not trying to hide it - and still be able to share your art with others is a testament to all these artists like Brian who are putting themselves out there.

After watching and hearing this, I'm getting the feeling that a full project like this might be in order. I know everyone references this, but there is a reason why they keep going back to it: The Johnny Cash American series with Rick Rubin defined that genre. Just pure performance and raw art that connects with millions, where the artist is basically there with no attempts to hide the effects of age or health issues. The music and the personality of the artist shines through and connects. It doesn't have to be Rubin at the helm, but maybe it's time to seriously consider getting Brian in the studio with a piano and a microphone and rolling the tape.

As much as I also have said let Brian do what he wants, maybe this kind of raw and real presentation is more relevant now, rather than calling in the bass harmonicas and vibraphones to try to make a fully stacked production.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »

The BBs have always been more raw, dangerous and interesting live without 20 session musician bods stood behind them.

The live sound benefits from the struggle to fill the sound. Less is more.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2020, 01:51:50 PM »

Agreed.

At this stage. a stripped down performance suits Brian the best, because it brings out the raw emotion behind the songs and his vocals.  And man, that piano part in the bridge during God Only Knows reminded me of 67 Surf's Up.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2020, 02:08:57 AM »

Lovely performance from Brian. Frail but beautiful.

Seen a lot of comments on social media saying I love Brian but won't watch Colbert. Presumably a political thing? I know nothing about US chat shows.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2020, 02:31:51 AM »

Seen a lot of comments on social media saying I love Brian but won't watch Colbert. Presumably a political thing? I know nothing about US chat shows.

Possibly. Colbert regularly dismantles Trump on his show. Although to be fair, he does that with every politician who's doing a bad job, but obviously Trump is currently the main subject due to him being president. Colbert even created his own cartoon series "Our cartoon president" which is cureently in it's second or even third season (I'm not really following that).
So, I think your guess may very well be correct.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2020, 07:05:51 AM »

Possibly. Colbert regularly dismantles Trump on his show. Although to be fair, he does that with every politician who's doing a bad job, but obviously Trump is currently the main subject due to him being president. Colbert even created his own cartoon series "Our cartoon president" which is cureently in it's second or even third season (I'm not really following that).

Thanks Rocker.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »

As much as there may be political reasons why some don't watch, there is also the element of a comedy show or a comedian simply not being all that funny! I don't watch any late-night hosts because they're simply not that funny. I was spoiled by Johnny Carson, David Letterman when he did 12:30 on NBC, and Conan O'Brien's 12:30 show on NBC. That, to me, was comedy. And each host had a different set of skills that made their shows interesting and funny. This new crop of hosts, I just don't get enjoyment or laughs watching them, so I don't. Unless there is a strong musical guest like BW the other night.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2020, 11:50:47 AM »

I loved Brian's appearance. Oh well, I'm aware that most BB/BW fans are old and white (like me). I actually find Colbert, Myers and Corden truly funny. It helps me through this nightmare we're living. But I guess my opinions are even less popular here now (if that's possible). Life is an endless lesson.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2020, 01:41:20 PM »

The late night shows can not really do comedy given the current climate to be fair. I too loved Letterman and recall his first shows back after the 9/11 attacks. More social commentary, but the comedy did come back eventually. Given politicians are more or less the same beast the world over there is never going to be a shortage of material.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »

I loved Brian's appearance. Oh well, I'm aware that most BB/BW fans are old and white (like me). I actually find Colbert, Myers and Corden truly funny. It helps me through this nightmare we're living. But I guess my opinions are even less popular here now (if that's possible). Life is an endless lesson.
I'm with you on this one. I too am old and white and regularly watch Colbert and James Corden. I catch Seth Myers online. What a pleasure it was to see what is now a rare appearance of Brian Wilson on network TV.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2020, 10:43:20 AM »

I'm with you on this one. I too am old and white and regularly watch Colbert and James Corden. I catch Seth Myers online. What a pleasure it was to see what is now a rare appearance of Brian Wilson on network TV.

Thanks! Here's Corden back when we could have nice things - absolutely brilliant:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln3wAdRAim4
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:50:31 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
super sally
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2020, 06:56:45 PM »

I loved those performances. Just pure, real, raw performances capturing a moment in time. While I agree there is a bittersweet if not sad element in watching my own musical idols age, it's a reminder that it's part of the natural progression, and it happens to all of us. To do it gracefully - not trying to hide it - and still be able to share your art with others is a testament to all these artists like Brian who are putting themselves out there.

After watching and hearing this, I'm getting the feeling that a full project like this might be in order. I know everyone references this, but there is a reason why they keep going back to it: The Johnny Cash American series with Rick Rubin defined that genre. Just pure performance and raw art that connects with millions, where the artist is basically there with no attempts to hide the effects of age or health issues. The music and the personality of the artist shines through and connects. It doesn't have to be Rubin at the helm, but maybe it's time to seriously consider getting Brian in the studio with a piano and a microphone and rolling the tape.

As much as I also have said let Brian do what he wants, maybe this kind of raw and real presentation is more relevant now, rather than calling in the bass harmonicas and vibraphones to try to make a fully stacked production.

I could not agree more with this! I would be thrilled to get a stripped down album. It would mean so much to me.

patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2020, 07:15:11 PM »

Thanks! Here's Corden back when we could have nice things - absolutely brilliant:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln3wAdRAim4

Wow, that was awesome! I have occasionally thought that Brian would be a real coup of a Carpool Karaoke guest, even though he's a tough interview. I can just see James cruising down the highway with Brian singing Beach Boys car songs. Ah well, a girl can dream.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2020, 09:00:27 PM »

Nice, vulnerable performances.  Still have to admit it's kind of sad watching all my heroes grow old though.  :-(

I know what you mean. But it's also good to see them grow old too. I am so glad Brian is still here with us.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2020, 10:47:35 AM »

As much as there may be political reasons why some don't watch, there is also the element of a comedy show or a comedian simply not being all that funny! I don't watch any late-night hosts because they're simply not that funny. I was spoiled by Johnny Carson, David Letterman when he did 12:30 on NBC, and Conan O'Brien's 12:30 show on NBC. That, to me, was comedy. And each host had a different set of skills that made their shows interesting and funny. This new crop of hosts, I just don't get enjoyment or laughs watching them, so I don't. Unless there is a strong musical guest like BW the other night.

I'm younger but I'm also more a fan of the irreverent Letterman/Conan style of comedy (Carson not so much, that's a little dated for my taste). I think you might like Seth Meyers though, he's in my opinion the most consistent of what I would agree is a way too crowded field and he has a great supporting cast of talented young writers and personalities. I do like Colbert a lot but I won't deny his stuff gets a little lazy and repetitive sometimes. Kimmel, Fallon, and Corden have their moments but they often get a little too heavy on the celebrity culture that feels out of touch with reality sometimes. Conan is still great but I feel he puts more into his other projects like the Conan Without Borders specials and his podcast than he does on his nightly show (which is now condensed to 30 minutes and no longer features a band or any musical guests).

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2020, 11:33:25 AM »

Wow, that was awesome! I have occasionally thought that Brian would be a real coup of a Carpool Karaoke guest, even though he's a tough interview. I can just see James cruising down the highway with Brian singing Beach Boys car songs. Ah well, a girl can dream.

If they could get Brian in the right mood Carpool Karaoke would be fabulous. It's so funny, my memories of being with Brian were almost dominated by my driving him around listening to music (well, and there was the occasional Jack-in-the-Box burger) Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2020, 02:05:36 PM »

We are still waiting on the new documentary but apparently a lot of it was filmed just driving around LA. I’m sure he busted out a few tunes during filming and hopefully we will get to see it.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2020, 02:10:42 PM »

We are still waiting on the new documentary but apparently a lot of it was filmed just driving around LA. I’m sure he busted out a few tunes during filming and hopefully we will get to see it.

Love it! So true. And the author is someone who really gets Brian, so I think it will be nothing less than fabulous.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2020, 04:53:11 PM »

Sounds exciting!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2020, 02:31:42 AM »

Well, there's still this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSXgOTKqYkk

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2020, 05:58:19 AM »

I finally got to watch these Brian on Colbert performances. They're just lovely.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2020, 08:10:44 PM »

Prior to the Late Show, Colbert had his own satirical political pundit show on Comedy Central (called The Colbert Report, pronounced re-pore), where his character was a send-up of conservative cable news talking heads.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2020, 11:37:42 PM »

Fun fact...Colbert is my wife’s maiden name. Just realized I’d forgot that 😒

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2020, 02:45:28 AM »

Fun fact...Colbert is my wife’s maiden name. Just realized I’d forgot that 😒

Oops!!!!!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2020, 01:50:00 AM »

I'm younger but I'm also more a fan of the irreverent Letterman/Conan style of comedy (Carson not so much, that's a little dated for my taste). I think you might like Seth Meyers though, he's in my opinion the most consistent of what I would agree is a way too crowded field and he has a great supporting cast of talented young writers and personalities. I do like Colbert a lot but I won't deny his stuff gets a little lazy and repetitive sometimes. Kimmel, Fallon, and Corden have their moments but they often get a little too heavy on the celebrity culture that feels out of touch with reality sometimes. Conan is still great but I feel he puts more into his other projects like the Conan Without Borders specials and his podcast than he does on his nightly show (which is now condensed to 30 minutes and no longer features a band or any musical guests).

I see what you mean about Colbert and agree that sometimes it gets repetitive, but he ist still able to bring it across. In fact, I think right now, as much as I love Seth Myers' show, Colbert's is the best in terms of comedy and satire (I don't care about guests etc. so I can't say anything about that).
When I watch old clips of Letterman I think, that I really missed out. It wasn't as easy back then as it is now for me in Germany to watch his show (not to talk about my age). But it's always incredibly funny to go an check some videos on youtube. We had a great late night show in Germany called the "Harald Schmidt Show". Fantastic stuff! Along the same lines as Letterman.
Oh and I absolutely love watching Johnny Carson. His style was awesome. And did you catch Dean Martin's appearances on his show?  Cheesy Generally, everytime Dean shows up in whatever kind of show, it is always funny as hell. Regardless to say that I also love watching clips from his own show. Man, pure gold!  Grin These guys where just complete entertainers. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Dino on Carson:

1965 (Joey Bishop Show standing in for Carson)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrSNnHxj7mA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZjMmBQRxsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDt_2UP_g6o
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:52:25 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx