gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:43:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin to be Interviewed on WFMU June 13  (Read 13526 times)
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2020, 06:56:43 AM »

I found it on another link. I couldn't take any more of that music with no mention of the interview! Don't even think it was the right episode!

Ouch. My band got played twice during that show.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2020, 12:51:48 PM »

I found it on another link. I couldn't take any more of that music with no mention of the interview! Don't even think it was the right episode!

Ouch. My band got played twice during that show.

Well, I think there was a couple of songs I liked in there. I don't know which ones, but there is a possibility that they were yours!  LOL

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2020, 01:06:03 PM »

Another thing to consider in this whole thread concerning Rocky’s book.  If you’ll remember back to his original thread, prior to getting linked up with Ron, Rocky was EXTREMELY resistant to any suggestions any of us made in the way of “constructive criticism” concerning his writing.   I recall that he got very defensive and basically refused to acknowledge that his manuscript was anything short of perfect. Yet Ron got involved and the entire story got revamped, doing what others have called a complete 180 degree flip. Puzzling.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2020, 01:27:39 PM »

Another thing to consider in this whole thread concerning Rocky’s book.  If you’ll remember back to his original thread, prior to getting linked up with Ron, Rocky was EXTREMELY resistant to any suggestions any of us made in the way of “constructive criticism” concerning his writing.   I recall that he got very defensive and basically refused to acknowledge that his manuscript was anything short of perfect. Yet Ron got involved and the entire story got revamped, doing what others have called a complete 180 degree flip. Puzzling.

Was the criticism based on the facts or grammar?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2020, 02:34:35 PM »

As I recall, there was a lot of back-and-forth exchange between Rocky and several posters on this site, myself included, prior to Rocky posting text from his as-yet-unpublished book.  Much of the exchange had evolved into some fairly nasty posts from both sides. Once Rocky did post part of a chapter, I (and others) offered some suggestions that, we felt, would improve the book.  Such as writing in the first person - Rocky had things in there like “Stan and Rocky had to be careful about...”, and we suggested changing that to “Stan and I had to be careful about...”. Also, since Rocky had a lot of direct quotes about events that happened 40 years prior, it was suggested that he take out all the direct quotes and just say “this is how I remember it”. 

Rocky’s response was to say “go write your own book”.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2020, 03:38:34 PM »

If Rocky ever wrote a rough draft of his book back when he was in the original state of mind that he was in (at the time of his original posts), I suppose that draft might be as much of a holy grail to some as some lost SMiLE tapes or the Inside Pop reels LOL

I just don't know how anyone can take a word Rocky says seriously after changing his tone like that, or how his co-author can promote the book with a straight face, being that those many original posts are a thing that exists.  Those posts didn't not happen. Yet Rocky and Ron just have to keep pretending that those posts don't exist, continuing a charade, to what end I'm not sure of.

It's interesting to think of what the reception to the book would have been, had Rocky not done those original posts. I suppose it would just be dismissed as relatively boring and devoid of as much insider info as it might have been assumed he might have otherwise had to share - but now we *know* that Rocky had more to say... much more it would seem... and was muted for reasons we can only speculate.  

This is the kind of thing that fans hate me for, but here I go. I received a very early draft by mail of the book that I simply wasn't emotionally able to read it after several attempts, I finally got rid of it. So, I honestly don't know what he was saying at that point.  I'm definitely not a curator or collector. I was more interested in my husband's health at that point. My personal experience many years ago was that Stan and Rocky were very strong and athletic and could get Brian to do whatever he did by physically overpowering him. I wasn't sad when they moved on, but clearly Landy wasn't a great answer. Jesus...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 07:29:34 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2020, 04:01:58 PM »

Nothing in there to hate you for, Debbie.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2020, 09:09:21 PM »

If Rocky ever wrote a rough draft of his book back when he was in the original state of mind that he was in (at the time of his original posts), I suppose that draft might be as much of a holy grail to some as some lost SMiLE tapes or the Inside Pop reels LOL

I just don't know how anyone can take a word Rocky says seriously after changing his tone like that, or how his co-author can promote the book with a straight face, being that those many original posts are a thing that exists.  Those posts didn't not happen. Yet Rocky and Ron just have to keep pretending that those posts don't exist, continuing a charade, to what end I'm not sure of.

It's interesting to think of what the reception to the book would have been, had Rocky not done those original posts. I suppose it would just be dismissed as relatively boring and devoid of as much insider info as it might have been assumed he might have otherwise had to share - but now we *know* that Rocky had more to say... much more it would seem... and was muted for reasons we can only speculate. 

This is the kind of thing that fans hate me for, but here I go. I received a very early draft by mail of the book that I simply wasn't emotionally able to read it after several attempts, I finally got rid of it. So, I honestly don't know what he was saying at that point.  I'm definitely not a curator or collector. I was more interested in my husband's health at that point. My personal experience many years ago was that Stan and Rocky were very strong and athletic and could get Brian to do whatever he did by physically overpowering him. I wasn't sad when they moved on, but clearly Landy wasn't a great answer. Jesus...

I don't hate you. I guess I got the impression that Rocky and Stan was too sensitive an issue for many. I hope I never came off as pushing you for information. I am just a curious fan.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx