gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:40:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Looking back with Love': it's not that bad  (Read 1926 times)
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2020, 01:43:28 PM »

I just finished side 1 and production/sound wise- I had zero problems, and enjoyed it all the way through.  Haven't gone over lyrics w/ a fine tooth comb or anything---- I like the sound of this lp the same way i like the sound of LOVE YOU- the production brian really invented (thanks again for another brian invention!) - you know what im talking about: on love you it is modern style production sounds and sounds fused with classic rock and roll style melodies/song structures.   now it was the 80s and they didn't have any choice, but it really was brian on LOVE YOU that was doing that back to at least 76 and the 15 big ones production- thats where it REALLY started.  but love you is what i talk about a lot, I have the poster on the wall. 

Side 2 didnt start so good, i hate calendar girl.  Mikes is at least better than the orig, but it still falls short as a song. 

Be my baby is good, this is what im talking about re 15 Big ones.   If you like 15 big ones production  you probably want Mike doing Be My Baby

Now theres an 80s style ballad.  It is good.

I'll tell you another thing: If 'Boardwalk' records (?) released this on early cd, I would of been all in

I absolutely think it's got crapped on more than it deserves.  Calendar Girl is a fail but that is more Neil Sedakas fault.  The production while becoming standard by '81, really owes a lot to brian wilson and what he started during the 15 big ones era.   

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 10:28:03 AM »

Not that bad?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL               

OH YES IT IS, AND THEN SOME!!!!!!!!!!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 10:54:35 AM »

Looking back with OSD!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:58:18 AM »

Looking back with OSD!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL   The box set is now available except where prohibited by law. All proceeds go to The Mike Love Foundation On How To Make A Good Record For A Change also known as TMLFOHTMAGRFAC.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:02:50 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 09:48:04 PM »

I kept seeing this in the used record stores just before the shutdown. Kept thinking I should get it. i'm sure I will like it just because my expectations are very, very low.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 09:20:46 AM »

It's just.....kinda boring really and lazy. Listen to it once and even though I don't hate it, I'd have no reason to take it off the shelf again.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 09:29:46 AM »

I'm repeating myself again, but what amazes me is that there is only one song on the album where Mike is co-credited as a songwriter. All of the others are covers, or were written by other songwriters. I really don't understand why, especially since this was his first effort as a solo entity and you'd think he'd want to demonstrate his skill as a lyricist/writer. Yet for his first solo album...one co-credit? I suppose the issue became more amplified when Mike made his skill as a lyricist/writer a big part of his public identity, with some calling him a "genius", yet when he had the chance to show it off on his own terms for his first time as a solo artist he seems to have balked. I would have liked to hear what he had to offer, but the irony is maybe we all did when the album hit the stores.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx