gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:06:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sweet Mountain  (Read 2710 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2020, 12:20:33 AM »

Brian only wrote/produced a half dozen songs for Spring, but one song, "Sweet Mountain", has been stuck in my head for two days now. Had not heard it since I bought the Rhino way back. Simply forgotten how good it was. Some people call it American Gothic. Whatever it is, it has a kind of lofty, romantic - but also a little bit spooky - beauty to it.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 12:32:12 AM »

Yes, that's a hell of an arrangement.  It boggles the mind that one person could be so talented.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 03:42:25 AM »

Always loved sweet mountain and Brian's Coda at the end to
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 06:14:28 AM »

Hearing it for the first time. Love it!

Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 05:55:16 PM »

Hearing it for the first time. Love it!

And if you're anything like me, it will continue to grow on you for many years to come.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 12:29:00 AM »

According to the credits on this CD version, Brian did the vocal arrangement while David Sandler arranged the music:

https://www.discogs.com/de/Spring-Spring/release/3721371
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 02:09:13 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:36:50 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 05:17:22 AM »

According to the credits on this CD version, Brian did the vocal arrangement while David Sandler arranged the music:

That's an inaccurate transcription of the liner notes, both Brian and Sandler are credited for arranging music and vocals.

The music itself was written by Sandler, adapted from an older song by him called Standin' Tall (https://youtu.be/srAO7KCxIE4), then both of them reworked it lyrically and melodically into Sweet Mountain. Marilyn estimated it was "75% Brian" and told a Dutch Newspaper in 1972 that he played all of the instruments, but Sandler remembers playing the Moog bass part side by side with Brian. The oboe and sax were probably Alan Beutler.

Thanks for clarifying. Fascinating stuff! I love it as a Spring production but always felt that Sweet Mountain should've become the standout track on either CATP or Holland. It's a very good song with an incredible arrangement.
SBonilla
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 05:20:13 AM »

That's an inaccurate transcription of the liner notes, both Brian and Sandler are credited for arranging music and vocals.

The music itself was written by Sandler, adapted from an older song by him called Standin' Tall (https://youtu.be/srAO7KCxIE4), then both of them reworked it lyrically and melodically into Sweet Mountain. Marilyn estimated it was "75% Brian" and told a Dutch Newspaper in 1972 that he played all of the instruments, but Sandler remembers playing the Moog bass part side by side with Brian. The oboe and sax were probably Alan Beutler.

I'd put money on Brian having a decent amount of input on the chorus and fade tag, extending its original progression from I ii I ii to I vi7 ii7 V7sus . On the tag, especially, it 'feels' like YOU CHEATED by The Shields. That would be a typical Brian move.  
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 06:21:57 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:36:40 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »

The "In care of my sweet mountain" part is not on the Sandler original so I guess that's the part Brian added.  I've had that record since 1973 and I feel I hear something new in it during every play.
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 01:36:07 PM »

The "In care of my sweet mountain" part is not on the Sandler original so I guess that's the part Brian added.  I've had that record since 1973 and I feel I hear something new in it during every play.

Sandler visited the Blueboard once and said if anyone had any questions he'd be happy to answer. I was the only taker. I asked him about Sweet Mountain and he said exactly that that, he wrote it and Brian helped on the bridge. I love that song ...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx