gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680716 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 02:39:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: “Barbara Ann” at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction  (Read 1662 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2020, 08:02:26 PM »

If any of you have been following the official YouTube page for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they’ve lately been putting up a ton of cool and sometimes rare performance clips. And they just put up one of The Beach Boys I’d never seen before. Pretty sloppy and not the best audio quality but still fun to see, especially with all the talent on stage. Almost removes the bad taste left from Mike’s acceptance speech. https://youtu.be/OEAZZ0jrV8w

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 02:11:21 AM »

Yeah, you wonder why they did THAT song and not one of their own. Ok, after Mike's speech no one was probably into "Fun, fun, fun", but why not "I get around" or something like that.

Anyway, a while ago I made a screenshot of probably this performance (by another youtube user, probably it was a TV report, I don't remember), because you have so much legend and talent in that one shot:

Bruce Springsteen, Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, John Fogerty, Paul Shaffer and Mick Jagger

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 07:46:02 AM »

That was interesting to watch, yes a trainwreck from a sloppiness perspective but interesting to see all those people onstage together.

It just dawned on me, that this infamous Mike speech happened several months *before* Kokomo. Kokomo hitting #1 is often used as a benchmark for when the ego stuff really took off to the next level. I hesitate to think what Mike's speech would have resembled if the induction had happened after Kokomo hit.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 08:17:50 AM »

Wait, did Mick Jagger get on stage? Guess he's not so chickenshit after all.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 06:47:33 PM »

From what I understand, these sort of performances in the early days of the Hall were pretty unrehearsed and spontaneous so I think they just started playing something simple that everyone could follow along with.  It wasn't the slick HBO production it is nowadays.

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 06:51:36 PM »

Is this probably the last time (and maybe the first since 1971-ish) that Carl played lead guitar on Barbara Ann (since Ed Carter, Blondie, Jeff Foskett, etc aren’t there)?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 12:58:12 PM »

From what I understand, these sort of performances in the early days of the Hall were pretty unrehearsed and spontaneous so I think they just started playing something simple that everyone could follow along with.  It wasn't the slick HBO production it is nowadays.
I liked it better this way. Now days, it's like they get inducted, then they're expected to show WHY they were inducted.
but the less said about that sorry institution, the better.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx