gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:18:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show up last to your weekend dance & watch this Dance Dance Dance production vid  (Read 1883 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2020, 09:45:41 PM »

https://youtu.be/iSIMPSEHxhU

Play it cool when it's slow, but jump in when it's fast.

This is a new production commentary and guitar/bass breakdown isolation playthrough for Dance Dance Dance.  It continues on the path of Today LP track analysis I've been doing.

Points of interest include:

A cat
Cool things the band does with the classic riff
The novelty of the Beach Boys recording a basic track at RCA

As always, I really hope you enjoy it!

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 07:39:20 PM »

Another thing that is really cool about this track that I mention in the video but not enough, is how this is the Beach Boys playing, and it's a totally rockin' track.  I think they could have been a pretty compelling band pretty much by themselves with some support from a handful of session players to augment the sound.  Dennis and Brian really lock in here.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 07:52:24 PM »

It really is a fun, propulsive track. You nailed the jangly bits!

This is one of those songs that you kind of forget about, but when you hear it you can't help but tap your toe and sing along (particularly the Brian wail and Mike's "daaaaance").

Any plan on doing analyses of the vocals in the future? (In general, not just this song)

Watch out for snakes!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 08:52:13 AM »

I don't really plan to deal with vocals.  Not that there's not plenty to say--I just feel like it's my mission to highlight the instruments, which have gotten much less attention over the decades.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 09:55:06 AM »

I wondered if there's a chance you would plan to take a look at the live performances of the band and how they tried to get the songs to sound on stage as much as possible as in the studio, or when they re-arranged a song to fit the live setting. Especially the years they had no or just one or two additional musicians. But I guess there's not too much to analyze, is there? As mentioned somewhere else, I'm really fascinated by their early live years (the "striped shirts" era).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 09:22:12 PM »

Fascinating!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 09:44:54 PM »

Fine work as always, JH...it's always been one of my very favorite up-tempo tracks. And you're right in pointing out that the band had become pretty darned proficient by this point in time. Is this their first key change in the middle of a verse? Such a stroke of genius...it just lifts the energy that much higher!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 01:21:00 AM »

- delete -
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:06:34 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx