gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:35:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Many Moods of Murry Wilson questions  (Read 4796 times)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2020, 09:39:04 PM »

So we know the album was released in October of 1967. Which is almost a MONTH after Smiley Smile.

We know, according to Wikipedia, that Brian produced the song 'Italia' written by Al Jardine.

Did Brian produce the WHOLE album?

Now, Italia was Al's song and he wasn't really 'in' the 'family' circle the Murry concluded... Do we know HOW this song came to be proposed? Or what Murry thought of it?

Has there been any Beach Boys comment on the album? At all?

is it absolutely confirmed Brian produced the entire album?

Just seems very strange to me that Al Jardine of all people... who was unequivocally the 'outsider' of the group... managed to pitch an entire SONG up to Murry of all people. Al receives SOLE credit.... Meaning it is entirely HIM.... Back in 1967.. With 'Italia'.

It wouldn't be until 'Holland' in 1973 that Al receives another solo.. non-cover credit... with Holland's 1973 'California Saga'.

Seems a bit strange... Anyone have more info? This album is a unique period for the band.

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 09:43:50 PM »

"Italia" is, of course, based on the piece "Pink CChampagne"which was written around 1962 by Al I think.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 07:27:56 AM »

"Italia" is, of course, based on the piece "Pink CChampagne"which was written around 1962 by Al I think.

That's correct. 1963. Which makes it even more confusing to me how this got selected. Did Al pitch it? Did Murry know about it prior to 'Many Moods'?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 07:46:12 AM »

It wouldn't be until 'Holland' in 1973 that Al receives another solo.. non-cover credit... with Holland's 1973 'California Saga'.

Well, Al actually received full songwriting credit for "Susie Cincinnati" when it appeared as the B-Side to "Add Some Music" in 1970.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 07:49:52 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:28:39 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 09:44:24 PM »

We don't definitively KNOW that for sure. however.  Merely speculative. Al definitely was not 'In the family' and would NOT have a sole writing credit for a song until Surf's Up. He did numerous covers until then.

It just seems extremely strange that Al (of all the members) would have pitched -Murray- of all people a song way back in 1967.

Especially considering that his next 'entirely created' song would appear on Surf's Up in 1971
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 06:02:01 AM »

We don't definitively KNOW that for sure. however.  Merely speculative. Al definitely was not 'In the family' and would NOT have a sole writing credit for a song until Surf's Up. He did numerous covers until then.

It just seems extremely strange that Al (of all the members) would have pitched -Murray- of all people a song way back in 1967.

Especially considering that his next 'entirely created' song would appear on Surf's Up in 1971

Uh, which Surf's Up song are you thinking of?  Al's three songs from that album are all co-written with someone (or two) else..."Susie Cincinnati" appeared the year before as a B-Side and is credited just to Al...
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 03:50:40 PM »

You're right. I've been under the wrong assumption that Al was a sole writer to Lookin' At Tomorrow. I had to look it up again.

Even crazier then that Al barely has songs attributed solely to him and him and Murry didn't really see eye-to-eye and here's a song on Murry's solo album.

Just seems really strange. Wish I knew how it got pitched up, was Al involved at all in the production?
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 09:24:29 PM »

Somebody needs go on Al's facebook and ask him!
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 04:21:53 AM »

I have no clue how much the BBs may or may not have been involved in Many Moods, or the song selection process. But on those two topics...

On the production side, there is solid evidence that Murry was skilled at knowing how to spend money on his own productions and demos to get top-quality performances and recordings. Great players, studios, engineers, etc. Most of it is hard to get a hold of, but if you just use the KFC jingle as an example you hear what I mean on the demo side.

As for song selections, what I find to be pretty amazing about Many Moods is how a guy who had spent almost 30 years at that point writing vocal compositions decides upon getting an album deal to release an instrumental album. I mean, WTF? He was a songwriter who, when faced with reality, abandoned most of his work to put out a lounge(ish) album that one could argue was such a departure that it fit perfectly into the late 60s ethos. It was his late 60s experimental album if you will. And, I really like it. Hell, his instrumental album that year was better than Mike Nesmiths WTWS IMO (recorded in 67).

So, as for Al, who the hell knows. Yes, let's ask Al. I'd love to know the answer.  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 05:10:15 AM by Junkstar » Logged
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 08:28:46 PM »

Any body out there have the ability to ask Al? If we have a way, may as well ask him. These (insignificant) questions won't be able to be answered.. forever. Plus I doubt he's gotten this question before, and he may enjoy some Beach Boys fandom since he's off the road for this virus.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 08:10:43 AM »

I sent him the question, but no clue if he will respond. Will post here if he does.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 07:19:14 PM »

We have an answer:

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3303904333001172&id=100001449127373
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:20:01 PM by c-man » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 01:44:40 AM »

Thanks! So now we know, that Al also reads this board  Grin

In case you can't see it if you don't have an account:

Today being Murry Wilson's birthday, I was thinking about the song "Italia" on The Many Moods of Murry Wilson album. I wrote it in '63 and it was originally called "Pink Champagne." Brian liked it so much, he played it for his Dad who said it reminded him of Italy with its European feel. Murry recorded it with the Capitol Records Orchestra and changed the title to "Italia." I think it's a pretty little melody with a nice bridge that just takes you to a different place and would be absolutely perfect for a movie theme!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 12:45:15 PM »

So great that Al weighed in, and that he acknowledged Murry's birthday.
Related note: Here is another song from my upcoming Murry album. This composition has remained unreleased since 1953. Read the story on the YouTube page about how it was acquired.

https://youtu.be/GFbdNp-G4N0
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 02:28:42 AM »

So great that Al weighed in, and that he acknowledged Murry's birthday.
Related note: Here is another song from my upcoming Murry album. This composition has remained unreleased since 1953. Read the story on the YouTube page about how it was acquired.

https://youtu.be/GFbdNp-G4N0

Very interesting! It's these kind of finds that I find so fascinating. Stuff that comes up by coincidence. Like the Shut Down Vol 2 session tapes a couple of years ago. Who knows what may be in private collections, without the people even knowing what they have. A couple of great Presley-items were found in private collections. With the Beach Boys, I wonder if there aren't more pictures of them in the 60s on stage. They were so big and their shows such a happening that it's crazy how few pictures are around of them (as far as I can tell).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 05:54:12 AM »

Fred Vail just commented on YouTube and Facebook that he had never heard the song. This fascinates me. Yeah, 1953 was years before Fred started working for Murry, but the song had been cut to acetate twice (at least) but Murry had moved on. Looking forward to Fred hearing the rest of the LP to see if he has the same reaction to any of the other songs.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx