gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:38:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Don't Run Away  (Read 1971 times)
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2020, 02:44:52 PM »

This is a wonderful song by Bruce & Terry and I've always wanted to know more about the track - it was apparently recorded 2/15/1966, the same day as That's Not Me (before or after? Bruce and Terry were both at that BB session). But what studio was it recorded at? What musicians play on the track? If anyone in the know could help me out, that would be great.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 03:42:49 PM »

This is a wonderful song by Bruce & Terry and I've always wanted to know more about the track - it was apparently recorded 2/15/1966, the same day as That's Not Me (before or after? Bruce and Terry were both at that BB session). But what studio was it recorded at? What musicians play on the track? If anyone in the know could help me out, that would be great.

It's an unbelievably great song. I'd go as far as to say it's one of my very favorite Beach Boys related songs of that entire decade. I think it's in the neighborhood of please let me wonder and approaching pet sounds awesomeness, which is quite a statement to make, considering I've never heard anything else that Bruce put out which has anywhere near that same magic.

Disney Girls is quite good but nowhere near as good as this, in my humble opinion. That said, it's certainly very derivative of Brian Wilson songwriting, but I suppose that's to be expected. It's shocking to me that this has never been properly released in any type of remastered form.

It's very interesting to me, because this song came out in 1966, after Bruce was already in the Beach Boys. I don't know what the politics would have been with regards to that, and I've never heard it discussed. Brian Wilson of course had the Caroline No solo single released around this time, I wonder if this had anything to do with it. Not that it is a Bruce solo single, but I guess other than Caroline No, I think it's the earliest example of an actual band member of the Beach Boys stretching their wings to put out music released under their personal name while in the band.

I asked Bruce about the song in person in 2012, but it was a very fleeting conversation. Mainly I just wanted to see his reaction when I mentioned the song. He acknowledged it briefly but didn't seem to have much of a reaction. I just wanted him to know that it's a remarkably underrated song that he should pay more attention to himself.

I wonder what Bruce and what Terry contributed to the song, and also what part Mike is audibly singing. Without a proper remaster, it's hard to hear it clear enough to really make everything out as well as I'd like.

I've heard a poor quality instrumental version of the backing track, if memory serves it was on the Preuss tape boot.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:43:44 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 08:55:12 PM »

It's an unbelievably great song. I'd go as far as to say it's one of my very favorite Beach Boys related songs of that entire decade. I think it's in the neighborhood of please let me wonder and approaching pet sounds awesomeness, which is quite a statement to make, considering I've never heard anything else that Bruce put out which has anywhere near that same magic.

Disney Girls is quite good but nowhere near as good as this, in my humble opinion. That said, it's certainly very derivative of Brian Wilson songwriting, but I suppose that's to be expected. It's shocking to me that this has never been properly released in any type of remastered form.

It's very interesting to me, because this song came out in 1966, after Bruce was already in the Beach Boys. I don't know what the politics would have been with regards to that, and I've never heard it discussed. Brian Wilson of course had the Caroline No solo single released around this time, I wonder if this had anything to do with it. Not that it is a Bruce solo single, but I guess other than Caroline No, I think it's the earliest example of an actual band member of the Beach Boys stretching their wings to put out music released under their personal name while in the band.

I asked Bruce about the song in person in 2012, but it was a very fleeting conversation. Mainly I just wanted to see his reaction when I mentioned the song. He acknowledged it briefly but didn't seem to have much of a reaction. I just wanted him to know that it's a remarkably underrated song that he should pay more attention to himself.

I wonder what Bruce and what Terry contributed to the song, and also what part Mike is audibly singing. Without a proper remaster, it's hard to hear it clear enough to really make everything out as well as I'd like.

I've heard a poor quality instrumental version of the backing track, if memory serves it was on the Preuss tape boot.

I don't know about where or when it has been remastered, but it is on the album The Best of Bruce & Terry from 1998.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 09:41:03 PM »

On M&M label from Japan if my memory serves me correctly.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 10:01:42 PM »

On M&M label from Japan if my memory serves me correctly.

O no, actually I know what you're speaking of, and that's Rare Masters which was issued in Japan on M&M as you said.

The album I'm talking about, The Best of Bruce & Terry, is from Sundazed and released in 1998.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 02:12:02 PM »

Thanks for the correction.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 07:11:29 PM »

Can't stand it. Sappy sllllow downbeat ditty. Terry's back-ups don't save it. Even "Tears..." isn't as bad as DRA.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx