gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:23:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Solo albums: Heroes or Villains?  (Read 1566 times)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2020, 09:16:45 PM »

Obviously Dennis, Mike, and Carl released solo albums back in the day. Rumor has it that the 'Boys' even told Dennis to pick and choose between a solo artist or a Beach Boy. Then, following suite, Mike and Carl released solo albums.

Dennis had been spurred - according to rumor - he pulled his tracks off of Surf's Up (1971) and didn't have a single track for the album..
Mike released his debut shortly after - and the Carl after that.

Obviously Dennis was getting kind of spurred - and he was kind of 'big headed' to want his songs to close the Surf's Up album. But Dennis conclusions would have only helped the Surf's Up album. (IMO)

Likewise, both Mike and Carl burned good songs on their solo albums. Carl was barely coming up with songs on Beach Boys albums but had enough material for 2 solo albums. Mike has numerous solo albums and some weaker Beach Boys albums in the late 70’s and 80’s could have used more tracks. But he burned them on solo releases.

Just seems like the better solo songs would have helped Beach Boys albums and gotten their song’s noticed more in a Beach Boys album.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 11:53:22 AM by Rebel » Logged
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 10:50:20 AM »

Obviously Dennis, Mike, and Carl released solo albums back in the day. Rumor has it that the 'Boys' even told Dennis to pick and choose between a solo artist or a Beach Boy. Then, following suite, Mike and Carl released solo albums.

Dennis had been spurred - according to rumor - he pulled his tracks off of Surf's Up (1971) and didn't have a single track for the album..

Obviously Dennis was getting kind of spurred - and he was kind of 'big headed' to want his songs to close the Surf's Up album. But Dennis conclusions would have only helped the Surf's Up album. (IMO)

Likewise, both Mike and Carl burned good songs on their solo albums. Carl was barely coming up with songs on Beach Boys albums but had enough material for 2 solo albums. Mike has numerous solo albums and some weaker Beach Boys albums in the late 70’s and 80’s could have used more tracks. But he burned them on solo releases.

Just seems like the better solo songs would have helped Beach Boys albums and gotten their song’s noticed more in a Beach Boys album.
Well Dennis hated the direction the BBs were going in the late 70s, Carl was working more and more on music for the BBs with diminishing returns, and Mike Love was Mike Love.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:25:09 PM »

Well Dennis hated the direction the BBs were going in the late 70s, Carl was working more and more on music for the BBs with diminishing returns, and Mike Love was Mike Love.
I would guess that both Dennis and Carl were writing songs they felt did not fit into the style of the group. Nothing wrong with getting out on your own, and spreading your musical wings.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 08:35:08 PM »

Dennis... we know he had be stockpiling songs. And been getting songs rejected. But I also think him pulling his songs off of Surf's Up (not just because the supposed argument with Carl about the track list) but because he knew he had amassed enough songs to make a solo album. I think he almost had a slight motivation or incentive to take his songs back.

I kind of disagree with the 'doesn't fit the format of the Beach Boys'. Other than Holland/Love You - I feel like most Beach Boys albums are kind of a hodge podge as is. Look at 20/20. Even Surf's Up. And don't even get me started on Light Album and MIU.... They're all over the place. So I don't think that the songs 'don't fit a format'. I doubt that had very little influence.

We know Dennis was told either be a Beach Boy or be solo. Then.. merely years later..  Mike and Carl are doing the same thing and with way less repercussions or threats. I find that interesting. I wonder what Dennis thought of that.

He did supposedly 'chicken out' of a mini tour, or opening act with the Boys. But Carl was doing that and it didn't seem to be as big of a deal as when Dennis proposed it.

Dennis eventually offered his songs on LA. So if he was worried about songs 'not fitting in' - here he is offering songs to fulfill an album.

Where as Mike and Carl had some good songs (IMO) on their solo albums that could have only lifted the Beach Boys contemporary albums... But didn't.

Just seems a relatively selfish act - especially from Mike who rarely pitched up songs; Carl, too, in the later 70's and beyond barely contributing songs. Relegating the Beach Boys to covers to pad out their albums and Culture Club giveaways.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 10:13:56 PM »

Dennis... we know he had be stockpiling songs. And been getting songs rejected. But I also think him pulling his songs off of Surf's Up (not just because the supposed argument with Carl about the track list) but because he knew he had amassed enough songs to make a solo album. I think he almost had a slight motivation or incentive to take his songs back.

I kind of disagree with the 'doesn't fit the format of the Beach Boys'. Other than Holland/Love You - I feel like most Beach Boys albums are kind of a hodge podge as is. Look at 20/20. Even Surf's Up. And don't even get me started on Light Album and MIU.... They're all over the place. So I don't think that the songs 'don't fit a format'. I doubt that had very little influence.

We know Dennis was told either be a Beach Boy or be solo. Then.. merely years later..  Mike and Carl are doing the same thing and with way less repercussions or threats. I find that interesting. I wonder what Dennis thought of that.

He did supposedly 'chicken out' of a mini tour, or opening act with the Boys. But Carl was doing that and it didn't seem to be as big of a deal as when Dennis proposed it.

Dennis eventually offered his songs on LA. So if he was worried about songs 'not fitting in' - here he is offering songs to fulfill an album.

Where as Mike and Carl had some good songs (IMO) on their solo albums that could have only lifted the Beach Boys contemporary albums... But didn't.

Just seems a relatively selfish act - especially from Mike who rarely pitched up songs; Carl, too, in the later 70's and beyond barely contributing songs. Relegating the Beach Boys to covers to pad out their albums and Culture Club giveaways.

Well, in Carl's case, the rest of the group had made it quite clear to him in the latter part of 1980 that they did not want to record an album, so he took that break to do his own album. I'm glad he did. At the end of 81, the idea of a group album was brought up again - and the BB's once again did not care to bother with it, so Carl recorded a second album.
But it does seem that upon his return to the group in spring 1982, they were at least trying a little harder with their live shows.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx