gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:58:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's rock'n'roll album  (Read 3907 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2020, 08:13:48 PM »

He has often mentioned it in interviews, the rock'n'roll album that he wants to do. "Proud Mary" is supposed to be on it, that's all I know. How far are we in the process? Has anything been recorded yet? Will we ever get it?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 10:29:42 PM »

We're eagerly waiting for it! Cheesy

At one point it seemed very plausible that it might happen. I was hoping for a studio version of Little Richard's Keep a Knockin' that they used to play at concerts for a while.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 12:26:20 AM »

After 10-15 years of reading interviews mentioning a R&R album I’m convinced it’s nothing more than a way to move along or end questioning. Mike has his ‘never say never’ answer for any reunion questions for the same reason.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 03:15:14 AM »

Here's an old thread with imaginary tracklists for the album. In fact, I'm kinda temted to update my own list...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 02:23:09 PM »

Here's an old thread with imaginary tracklists for the album. In fact, I'm kinda temted to update my own list...

Okay, but where's the thread.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 02:25:07 PM »

Okay, but where's the thread.

Ha! That's a good question....  Embarrassed

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20516.0.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 02:46:01 PM »

I have little to no interest in hearing Brian (or anybody from the BBs, with the *possible* exception of Al) do a bunch of 50s/early 60s rock oldies. Al would be interesting only because of his stunningly intact voice, but even then I'd rather hear original material (penned by Brian, or Al, or Mike, or whomever) sung by Al than oldies.

I've always found Brian's now-vintage versions of "Proud Mary" to be a bore. Kind of an interesting unique groove/arrangement, but I usually skip past it to get the the good Paley material. While Brian's (and Andy's?) arrangement was (I'm only guessing) a novel approach to some degree, I'd also say that if I *had* to hear Brian do it, I'd just as soon prefer he just copy the old CCR arrangement.

While I'm always raving about the archives and that that's where the gems are, I think Brian could even do better simply by plucking out old unreleased songs and record them fresh (with Al singing a lot of the leads). "City Blues" was a very good idea back in 2004 along these lines. It was marred by being overproduced, but something like that would even be preferable to oldies.

Brian would probably be well-served, if he wanted to do *another* covers album, by having some other folks help him pick some unique songs. Like, I'd rather hear him do "Wanderlust" than "California Sun."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 01:57:07 PM »

Wanderlust ,  that Buddy Holly song who’s name escapes me at the moment, and him doing My Sweet Lord live just so happen to be three of my favorite latter day Brian vocals

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 02:08:53 PM »

Listen To Me
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:52:16 PM by thetojo » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 09:53:49 PM »

Also, California Sun would fit well with these.

Honeycomb live?
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 05:34:18 PM »

I can confirm that Brian mentioned the rock and roll album to me in 2005 when I interviewed him.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 05:57:11 PM »

Brian probably mentions that rock and roll album when his wife asks him what he wants for breakfast.

Singlehandedly his most go-to interview response he gives - it creates buzz...and a lot of annoyance from all of his fans who want that album.

Ya'll are crazy if you don't want to hear a Brian led rock and roll cover album...Brian laying down a symphony of farty synths left and right, Darien would be losing his mind playing Ding Dang on loop for Brian to get some inspiration. What sucks is that I think he really wants to make this album - listen to him leading the band during soundchecks when he gets going on a classic rock song, he is another person...he just loves his rock and roll.

So personally, yeah I want to hear an album that Brian is truly passionate about. Will we ever hear this album? Probably not.

In some alternate universe we're all on Smiley Smile raving about Brian new rock and roll covers album. In this universe we'll have to make due with Mike Love's 27th cover album that three people will listen to.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 06:34:13 PM »

LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 01:39:59 AM »

Ya'll are crazy if you don't want to hear a Brian led rock and roll cover album...Brian laying down a symphony of farty synths left and right, Darien would be losing his mind playing Ding Dang on loop for Brian to get some inspiration. What sucks is that I think he really wants to make this album - listen to him leading the band during soundchecks when he gets going on a classic rock song, he is another person...he just loves his rock and roll.

He certainly does. I believe it was in this interview with Geoffrey Cushing-Murray that he mentioned working with the Boys during the late 70s and at one point says that the happiest he had ever saw Brian was when Brian was working with some musicians in the studio on an oldie.

NB: I think it was this interview with Cushing-Murray I have in mind. If not, I at least remember hearing someone who was working with the Beach Boys during that time telling this story.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »

The Rock & Roll album would have been a good thing for Brian back in the 80's, when he was looking young and revitalized. Sadly, I don't think he has the energy level to deliver such an album today, unless he is the producer with guest singers doing the leads. I'm sure Al could deliver the goods vocally.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 02:50:33 PM »

Sadly, I don't think he has the energy level to deliver such an album today, unless he is the producer with guest singers doing the leads. I'm sure Al could deliver the goods vocally.

Agreed. Also, I suspect that our idea of a Brian Rock n' Roll album and Brian's idea of a Brian Rock n' Roll album may be two very different things.

Speaking for myself, I would like/have liked it to be uptempo covers of 50's and 60's rock classics with some cool guitar solos, loud drums and some rock attitude. My guess is that Brian might rather bring to the table some tracks that rock no harder than The Man With All the Toys, along with a few nice Phil Spector and Four Freshmen covers. Which would probably be nice, but a little limp in the rawkin' stakes  Grin.

Would love to be proved wrong  Smiley

Perhaps sacreligiously, but a few of Mike's rockier tracks from his recent solo albums actually rock pretty hard, for a Beach Boy in his late 70s, and he sings 'em like he means 'em  Cool.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 02:56:25 PM »

Sadly, I don't think he has the energy level to deliver such an album today, unless he is the producer with guest singers doing the leads. I'm sure Al could deliver the goods vocally.

Agreed. Also, I suspect that our idea of a Brian Rock n' Roll album and Brian's idea of a Brian Rock n' Roll album may be two very different things.

Speaking for myself, I would like/have liked it to be uptempo covers of 50's and 60's rock classics with some cool guitar solos, loud drums and some rock attitude. My guess is that Brian might rather bring to the table some tracks that rock no harder than The Man With All the Toys, along with a few nice Phil Spector and Four Freshmen covers. Which would probably be nice, but a little limp in the rawkin' stakes  Grin.

Would love to be proved wrong  Smiley

Perhaps sacreligiously, but a few of Mike's rockier tracks from his recent solo albums actually rock pretty hard, for a Beach Boy in his late 70s, and he sings 'em like he means 'em  Cool.
I think that's true, but Mike has taken much better care of himself physically through the years; it's really hard to rock AND roll when you are in constant pain. I saw Little Richard go through that. At the end, he just couldn't do it no more, so he retired.
No one was more shocked than me that Mike would cover a Ramones song. And he did it pretty well.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx