gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:02:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New interview with Al Jardine including some 2021 reunion talk  (Read 10476 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2020, 11:24:38 AM »

New Rolling Stone article about the 60th anniversary:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beach-boys-60th-anniversary-reunion-tour-997685/?fbclid=IwAR1FuCqvB8OleXlX1-tog42wmdCganr1T0olEFiSrQAeJrX0tE-iPvLK5BE

Mike Love does acknowledge Brian's ailing health, but does not go into details.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2020, 01:57:38 PM »

Why wait until next year, when they could do a Zoom reunion now?  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2020, 04:06:32 PM »

Like all outlets reporting on various forms of media, Rolling Stone is undoubtedly struggling to come up with content that isn't just reporting on what someone TikTok'ed yesterday. (Those covering the movie industry are struggling even more; there's only so many times you can analyze what's trending on iTunes...).

This latest interview is more of the "who knows?" stuff. Unless Mike and Brian are willing to cancel 2021 gigs to make way for a reunion tour, there either isn't going to be one or it's going to be a much shorter run, perhaps a single show or a few shows.

The most interesting thing in this new Mike interview is that he says he has talked to Al, though not about a reunion. Which means probably a phone call either to confer on company business, or a general "what's up?" call, that might be more possible since they're probably all bored.

I'm truly not a particularly extra fatalist sort of person (a spry optimist I'm not either though I suppose!), but considering these guys are all reaching 80, and that it will certainly be a long time before touring could possibly go back to the way it was, we may never again see a touring "Beach Boys" (whether Mike's or a reunion) doing 100-150 shows per year.

I don't know how I feel about Zoom-ing a semi-reunion right now. Brian's bit playing piano for Rolling Stone a month or two back was nice in that it was nice to see Brian, but he certainly still seems pretty frail and I'm not sure his singing is ever going to get back to even 2012 levels. Meanwhile, Mike's "virtual" band song stunk. They could easily get together for the novelty of it, but if that's the case, perhaps a group interview or something would be better. Or perhaps they could all narrate/host something showcasing archival BB footage or something.

If the boxed set comes out this year, perhaps they could do something to promote that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2020, 05:16:48 PM »

Like that idea Hey Jude especially with say a Live Box Set These guys could all put together a stories, memories, thoughts DVD to accompany the release and do it safely from home.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2020, 08:58:07 PM »

Mike certainly got his money's worth at Brian's "Danny Boy on Grandma's knee" performance.  He's been talking about that one since, well, forever.

His bit about "serious health issues" is a little worrisome.  Is he hinting at something beyond what's been publicly acknowledged?   Hope not.  And hoping that Brian inherited Buddy Wilson's longevity (91).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:59:17 PM by juggler » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2020, 10:28:43 PM »

Maybe he was referring to Brian’s back issues

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2020, 04:55:42 AM »

Maybe he was referring to Brian’s back issues

Yeah, that song is awful

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2020, 08:17:47 AM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »

I predict we will see a package tour in 2022, featuring the reunited Beach Boys, reunited Kinks, and a Beatles tribute band.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx