gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:10:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blondie answers why he left the band  (Read 7024 times)
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2020, 01:05:42 PM »

I saw this on Facebook and thought I would share.

roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 05:21:09 PM »

Damn. That's terrible.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 06:59:04 PM »

Not really news - the fistfight with Steve Love has been reported elsewhere over the years (the Gaines book back in '86, for one).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 08:19:02 PM »

The “colonial attitude “ though is the line that makes me pause. What did he mean by that?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 08:36:19 PM »

ehhh....As a colonial myself I suspect it is race based. To put it mildly (and I don’t like even typing it) but ‘the white man knows best’. Plenty of history pointing to Brits etc taking over countries to the detriment of the native inhabitants. A terrible subject and I’m hoping to leave it there.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 09:51:17 PM »

Leave it to the Loves to do away with band members they didn't approve of. What an effed up family indeed. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 11:09:36 PM »

I swear I remember reading somewhere that Steve had used the n-word in that fight.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 01:10:16 AM »

The “colonial attitude “ though is the line that makes me pause. What did he mean by that?

If I remember the story as told in Heroes And Villains, Steve Love had used a racial slur to disparage Blondie which led to the fight.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 06:54:43 AM »

If I remember the story as told in Heroes And Villains, Steve Love had used a racial slur to disparage Blondie which led to the fight.

Yeah, and Blondie then left under his own accord. For which I don't blame him. It is such a treat to have him back, though! I think he's great!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 07:48:15 PM »

makes me wonder if Steve Love 'baited' (i.e. deliberately provoked) Blondie Chaplin in that confrontation.  It doesn't appear that Carl Wilson came to Blondie's defense.  And we all know too well how Mike Love aims to oust group members he deems are unnecessary for the time being
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 04:57:13 AM »

I've never seen a statement from anyone implying that Mike had anything to do with Blondie's (or Ricky's) departure from the band.  Steve Love, yes, in the case of Blondie, but not Mike. As for Ricky, the closest would be the implementation of fines for drug use, but no mention of that being an idea of Mike's or Al's for that matter (Mike and Al being the two BBs who were known to be totally drug-free at the time) - meaning, that could have been a management (i.e. Steve Love) policy (like Murry's previous policy of fining for swearing onstage). Sources indicate that Blondie and Ricky, although they were "comfortable" doing the music and being "paid well", grew bored over time with not doing enough new music, with the final straw for Blondie being the incident with Steve Love and for Ricky being the aforementioned fine (these according to sources like David Leaf and Steven Gaines). If there was more to it than that, I've not seen it mentioned anywhere.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 09:29:09 AM »

I can also imagine the move towards being more of an oldies band after Endless Summer also
was a factor for Ricky,

But here’s the question...if Blondie stays, do they still go in the same direction they ended up going in?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »

I think the trajectory for the Boys continues relatively the same as it did go down.

Blondie and Rickey definitely added some spice, and their songs were good contributions for sure. But I don't count them as such a force internally and politically (band-wise) to have much of power to swing things in a direction. Do we really think they were given 'voting rights' to the inner band politics? No way.

They WERE Beach Boys at the time, but I doubt they had much power. Essentially, glorified backing band members.

Do you really think that they'd have kept both of them into the 90's? 2000's? I think from the start they were going to be used and dropped. I'm sure they knew that, too.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 11:59:50 AM »

They were bought in and did spice the band up no doubt. I guess a really good example of a band that did changed dramatically in direction with new members was Fleetwood Mac. Had the Beach Boys reached their heights with a reinvention I’m sure things would have been more difficult firing members.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 11:59:58 AM »

I think if Blondie and/or Ricky stayed, they would have ultimately been glorified sidemen. Can't see 15 Big Ones looking much different than it did. Don't think they would have been "fired" though - seems like Carl and Dennis were good friends with them. I think it's been floated that losing Blondie and ultimately Ricky kind of left Carl without any "allies" with regard to the direction he would have preferred the band go in. You can even notice the tension in '76-era interviews in which Carl and Dennis don't seem to be too thrilled with the 1950s oldies situation on 15 Big Ones. To me, Pacific Ocean Blue was kind of the follow up to Holland.

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 12:24:15 PM »

I think the trajectory for the Boys continues relatively the same as it did go down.

Blondie and Rickey definitely added some spice, and their songs were good contributions for sure. But I don't count them as such a force internally and politically (band-wise) to have much of power to swing things in a direction. Do we really think they were given 'voting rights' to the inner band politics? No way.

They WERE Beach Boys at the time, but I doubt they had much power. Essentially, glorified backing band members.

Do you really think that they'd have kept both of them into the 90's? 2000's? I think from the start they were going to be used and dropped. I'm sure they knew that, too.

Ricky could have stayed until Carl died, especially after losing Dennis in 1983 assuming that still happens. Was there ever a debate about what to do after Dennis died, as in possibly bringing back Ricky?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 09:05:11 PM »

Ricky could have stayed until Carl died, especially after losing Dennis in 1983 assuming that still happens. Was there ever a debate about what to do after Dennis died, as in possibly bringing back Ricky?

They already had Kowalski filling in for Dennis half the time anyway, keeping him on was probably their easiest option.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 06:16:22 AM »

They already had Kowalski filling in for Dennis half the time anyway, keeping him on was probably their easiest option.

Bobby was back in the band too, by that point. As Mike stated in the Boys' press conference following Dennis' passing, they were touring with two excellent drummers and were quite well-equipped for performances. Plus, I doubt Ricky would've been willing to join the BBs' travelling nostagia act at that point, given I believe he'd been playing with Bonnie Raitt by then, and I think he was producing other acts in Australia around that time?
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 08:23:24 AM »

Bobby was back in the band too, by that point. As Mike stated in the Boys' press conference following Dennis' passing, they were touring with two excellent drummers and were quite well-equipped for performances. Plus, I doubt Ricky would've been willing to join the BBs' travelling nostagia act at that point, given I believe he'd been playing with Bonnie Raitt by then, and I think he was producing other acts in Australia around that time?

Agreed, I never thought it was likely, but it seemed like the only option (pre-C50) of course if Ricky did return. Back to the Kowalski vs Figueroa debate, is there a reason that Carl didn’t intervene when the two drummer situation finally fell apart around 1988? Was he already caring less with “Kokomo” around the corner?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2020, 09:25:19 AM »

Ricky wasn't available. He was already working with Bonnie Raitt by then. From what I can tell, her band is a great gig for him.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:27:26 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 09:56:13 AM »

Damn that made me sad to read. Racism was very real (and still is) and very overt back then and it's a shame that Mike's shithead of a brother was involved at all. I can't say I have anything good to say of the Mike, his brothers or the strange cohort of henchmen they brought in in the 70s. The Wilsons or Al never gave me any impression of racism and as for Mike I just don't know, but given where he is politically these days who knows.

I almost regret the fact that Dennis and Carl didn't split off with Blondie and Ricky to do their own thing post-Holland. They had a much more reasonable take on where their music could be heading. The Beach Boys were never going to be great again with Brian mentally living in 1960 and Mike and Al somehow believing 1965 could be replicated in 1975.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 01:50:43 PM »

In a recent Facebook post around six months back carli Munoz implied that Ricky’s exit was also hastened by some racist remarks but he didn’t go into detail.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »

"...and as for Mike I just don't know, but given where he is politically these days who knows." Move it please.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 12:27:42 AM »

I thought there was some talk on here about Dennis being sort of racist taking about beating up a black guy or something like that? Forget what the actual accusations were.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 05:59:40 AM »

I thought there was some talk on here about Dennis being sort of racist taking about beating up a black guy or something like that? Forget what the actual accusations were.

Apparently Dennis used to tell people he'd been raped by a black guy. The details of the story reportedly changed every time he told it, so who knows if any of it was grounded in reality.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx