gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:18:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why are BB albums so short?  (Read 14980 times)
zaval80
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2020, 03:02:57 PM »

I've read that DJs had a silent strike for Phil's record because he acted snooty toward them or something. And we have H&V radio "demo" maybe because of that. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2020, 03:15:09 PM »

I doubt Brian had any lack of confidence due to the commercial failure of Phil's River Deep. His feelings on Spector went beyond whether one record sold or not.

I've read that DJs had a silent strike for Phil's record because he acted snooty toward them or something. And we have H&V radio "demo" maybe because of that. 

That's not quite how it was with the "demo". Brian was very close with the guys on KHJ radio. There were examples of Brian taking a final mix literally "hot of the press" to KHJ for the DJ to play it, and they did. KHJ TV got the exclusive premiere on Good Vibrations before anyone, and KHJ would play that record on the air before stations even had it, with program director Ron Jacobs whispering "KHJ exclusive" over parts of GV so other stations couldn't record it and play it themselves. That's how hot these new singles were, and that's how competitive the market was in the mid 60's. Brian enjoyed a great relationship with KHJ because he'd hand deliver new records to them, and KHJ loved it because they could be the first and only station playing it.

DJ's like Real Don Steele, Robert W. Morgan, Charlie Tuna, earlier Roger Christian (Brian's former co-writer as we know), some of the lesser knowns like Bobby Tripp...they had an amazing staff. "Humble Harv" Miller did the early evenings after Don Steele (afternoon drive time slot), and was also one of the best who was allowed more freedom to play what he wanted to a degree, and have his own niche personality. Brian inviting Miller in to hear the new song being developed was part of the relationship he had with the guys at KHJ.

Well worth seeking out...there is a lot of info on KHJ on this board, just search my screen name and "KHJ" and I hope you find a lot of cool info. The "general public" got a taste of how good KHJ really was with Tarantino using their airchecks in a lot of the scenes of his "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood".

But the so-called "Humble Harv Demo" was just Brian hanging out and talking with his DJ friend from KHJ off the record, nothing more.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
zaval80
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2020, 04:09:07 PM »

Thank you, I was aware of Jim Morrison's KHJ promo, it's just, I am not that much into the history of pop broadcasting as such.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx