gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:35:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manson cover in BB-type style  (Read 3943 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 12, 2020, 11:10:26 AM »

Was watching Joshilyn's new Danelectro video and remembered I used to use a Dano 6-string bass along with a string-type regular bass, and realized I don't think I ever shared this here on Smiley Smile (maybe I thought the Manson angle was controversial?) --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrxUc-CU5ic

This started back in 2011 when I had the idea to cover the entire Manson LIE LP in a way that was similar to how it might have sounded if the BB were involved ... my group only did 3 of the songs ("Look At Your Game Girl", "Home Is Where You're Happy", and "Eyes of the Dreamer") and put them out on a regular Magic Hero record, which came out in 2012.

Lemme know what you guys think!

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 05:22:29 PM »

Sounds really great.  Was that done on the Sunset Sound deck?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 06:48:28 PM »

Sounds really great.  Was that done on the Sunset Sound deck?

Thanks - nope, this predates that deck coming to me. This was cut on a 1970s Teac 80-8 8-track, but mixed to a later ‘60s Ampex 440-mono machine. I did cut one record on the Sunset Sound 8-track, but eventually sold it to a friend who runs a studio in San Diego, where it is still in use. It blew smoke one day and became increasingly difficult to maintain and transport  as I was moving around a lot.

Also worth noting on the Manson cover is an RMI Rock-is-Chord (that was my fav organ, but no longer own it either). It’s heard most prominently in the bridge, and also doubling the flute lines  on the intro and out too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:52:15 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 11:52:52 AM »

Well, it's a great sounding track.  I'm pretty envious of your access to these great sounding units, over the years.

It's a great concept too, and good execution.  I love these what ifs.  I think that the kind of whimsy and imagination it takes to do that kind of thing is sorely missing from the mindset of popular musicians.  There's so much freedom in constructing what-ifs within set contexts.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 03:37:29 PM »

Well, it's a great sounding track.  I'm pretty envious of your access to these great sounding units, over the years.

It's a great concept too, and good execution.  I love these what ifs.  I think that the kind of whimsy and imagination it takes to do that kind of thing is sorely missing from the mindset of popular musicians.  There's so much freedom in constructing what-ifs within set contexts.

I agree the 'what-if' scenarios can really get creative things moving. I once read someone offering songwriting advice: "Pretend you have been hired to write Beyonce's next single". I know from my own experience that such a project might not sound like Beyonce's next hit, but you're out of your element and thinking in a different way, so the results are likely to be more interesting. Necessity is the mother of invention too -- limitations tend to be inspiring.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 10:33:52 AM »

One thing that is not inspiring is this section of the board...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 01:53:45 PM »

Oops. Perhaps some of us need shaking up before we actually get round to commenting!

DL, I've listened to it a few times now. Manson's version has an air of "home is where you're happy if you know what's good for you". Yours is pure sunshine pop. (I don't hear Manson in this at all.) The Rock-Si-Chord sounds most effective! I know it mainly from Terry Riley's use of it on "A Rainbow In Curved Air" but I see it was used a lot back then.

This is most enlightening (the bits that have survived): http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15840.0.html

Thanks for sharing! (Sorry I took so long to comment.)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 02:10:03 PM »

Oops. Perhaps some of us need shaking up before we actually get round to commenting!

DL, I've listened to it a few times now. Manson's version has an air of "home is where you're happy if you know what's good for you". Yours is pure sunshine pop. (I don't hear Manson in this at all.) The Rock-Si-Chord sounds most effective! I know it mainly from Terry Riley's use of it on "A Rainbow In Curved Air" but I see it was used a lot back then.

This is most enlightening (the bits that have survived): http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15840.0.html

Ah forgot about that thread - thanks for your comments too.

To be fair, I rarely come to this section of the board myself ...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:10:52 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 02:53:33 PM »

So that's actually an interesting question -- if, in some alternate universe, Manson was produced by the Beach Boys in some way, whose aesthetic would have won out in the end?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 08:57:44 PM »

So that's actually an interesting question -- if, in some alternate universe, Manson was produced by the Beach Boys in some way, whose aesthetic would have won out in the end?

Probably Manson unless Brian were producing IMO

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 01:18:57 AM »

Agreed. Brian would never have given him that much rope (terrible choice of words). Oh, and belated happy birthday!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 08:32:25 AM »

Agreed. Brian would never have given him that much rope (terrible choice of words). Oh, and belated happy birthday!

ha THANKS

Abracadabra
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 03:18:11 AM »

Cool I enjoyed that, really quirky. Nice sound as well, can tell it was recorded on analogue.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 05:14:27 PM »

Thanks!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx