gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:53:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Animated cartoon BBs in Happy Endings music video (RIP Little Richard)  (Read 2335 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2020, 10:13:09 AM »

RIP to the great little Richard, whose influence in rock music is immeasurable.

Naturally as a Beach Boys nerd, I thought about "Happy Endings" upon his passing. And then it dawned on me that there's never really been much of any discussion with regards to the weird music video for this song.

People were excited to see rough draft sketches of a proposed BBs cartoon in the early 70s, with Carl eating a bunch of ice cream scoops… But nobody ever seems to talk about the only actual BBs cartoon music video that actually *was* released, with animated Beach Boys sitting in a goldfish bowl beside a bottle of goldfish food, and a cartoon Mike loves sitting on a lilly pad, singing about Easter bunny, as an animated bunny hopped into his lap.

https://youtu.be/lYxAqHIff2g

This is batshit crazy stuff.

Does anybody know more information about this music video? Did it actually air on MTV or VH1, or was it scrapped? I think the movie "The Telephone" barely got released. I have not seen it, has anybody on this board seen the film? This film must be the biggest trainwreck in Whoopi Goldberg's career other than the dinosaur buddy cop classic Theodore Rex.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 10:19:14 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 01:00:25 PM »

This record was a missed opportunity. The guys cut a song with the king of rock and roll...and it's a slow ballad?  Huh Huh
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 01:51:52 PM »

RIP to the great little Richard, whose influence in rock music is immeasurable.

Naturally as a Beach Boys nerd, I thought about "Happy Endings" upon his passing. And then it dawned on me that there's never really been much of any discussion with regards to the weird music video for this song.

People were excited to see rough draft sketches of a proposed BBs cartoon in the early 70s, with Carl eating a bunch of ice cream scoops… But nobody ever seems to talk about the only actual BBs cartoon music video that actually *was* released, with animated Beach Boys sitting in a goldfish bowl beside a bottle of goldfish food, and a cartoon Mike loves sitting on a lilly pad, singing about Easter bunny, as an animated bunny hopped into his lap.

https://youtu.be/lYxAqHIff2g

This is batshit crazy stuff.

Does anybody know more information about this music video? Did it actually air on MTV or VH1, or was it scrapped? I think the movie "The Telephone" barely got released. I have not seen it, has anybody on this board seen the film? This film must be the biggest trainwreck in Whoopi Goldberg's career other than the dinosaur buddy cop classic Theodore Rex.

One interesting thing about that movie is that was co-written and produced by one Harry Nilsson. I wonder if the appearance of The Beach Boys (and possibly Little Richard as well) on the soundtrack was a result of Harry being so heavily involved in the project.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 03:04:48 AM »

RIP Little Richard; a true legend and one of the most incredible performers ever. Keep a Knockin' is one of my favorite songs from the rock'n'roll era.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:45:07 AM by phirnis » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 02:04:02 PM »

Wish there was a cleaner version of the video available. Every one I've seen is multiple generations from the source.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 03:28:56 PM »

Wish there was a cleaner version of the video available. Every one I've seen is multiple generations from the source.

Totally. Also - The lack of any music video credits at the beginning or end is confounding. If this were actually taped off of MTV or VH1, there's no doubt there would be credits there.

This makes me wonder if this is some unfinished promo version that leaked out.

This movie and its botched release (which itself almost didn't happen and was attempted to be blocked by Whoopi) was such an unbelievably unmitigated disaster on every level, it stands to reason that this video might have been in development for many months leading up to the release of the film, but then maybe never even aired once; as it stands, there's very little animation actually in the video, but even those little bits probably took a long time of development. 

So I'll bet the video probably started while this film was still somewhat of a viable project.

Considering how it all went, I'm sure Little Richard and the Boys were embarrassed to be associated with the film. I'm not sure the band were ever associated with a flop movie/tv show as big as this one.

I've never heard a peep about any of these details, but it would be fascinating to learn more.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 08:21:18 PM »

What is the backstory of this movie, I have never seen it, and only heard about how terrible it is, but never any details.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 04:31:18 AM »

The song got a mention at the Hall of Fame induction '88:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27120.msg661665.html#msg661665

"Happy ending, Mike"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 11:34:49 AM »

I've said it a few times already, but this video is like the nightmare you have after going to be on a full stomach from Taco Bell.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 11:50:29 AM »

If the circulating version of the video don't have the typical VH1 or MTV chyron, it's probably because I can't imagine this was played much if at all, even back in the mid-80s, even when other BB stuff, even pre-Kokomo, was occasionally getting played.

"Happy Endings" was a similar deal to "East Meets West"; a collaboration between artists that nobody cared about anymore (as far as hearing new music). And both singles tanked, often with respective fanbases not even having heard of the tracks.

And yes, "Happy Endings" isn't a great track; it's like C-list Bruce material.

The band did stuff like "Happy Endings" because, apparently, Terry Melcher was good at getting the guys gigs for soundtracks, which was and is a very lucrative endeavor even when the movie and/or song bomb.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »

If the circulating version of the video don't have the typical VH1 or MTV chyron, it's probably because I can't imagine this was played much if at all, even back in the mid-80s, even when other BB stuff, even pre-Kokomo, was occasionally getting played.

"Happy Endings" was a similar deal to "East Meets West"; a collaboration between artists that nobody cared about anymore (as far as hearing new music). And both singles tanked, often with respective fanbases not even having heard of the tracks.

And yes, "Happy Endings" isn't a great track; it's like C-list Bruce material.

The band did stuff like "Happy Endings" because, apparently, Terry Melcher was good at getting the guys gigs for soundtracks, which was and is a very lucrative endeavor even when the movie and/or song bomb.
Richard was doing the same thing at that time in his career. After his comeback album, Lifetime Friend, in 1986, he recorded exactly one more album - Shake it All About, for Disney. But he had dozens of songs included in films and tv.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx