gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:44:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keep it clean with Al Jardine and watch this WIGU(TBAM) breakdown vid  (Read 5770 times)
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2020, 08:33:43 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:33:57 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2020, 08:57:14 AM »

It's a strange production!  Pitman was playing a lot of Dano then but who knows!
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 09:17:12 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:33:48 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2020, 10:15:53 PM »

I don't know, there are a couple of moments on the session tape (LTSDD part 2) where the rhythm instrument sounds very electric - on TSS box, disc 4 track 11, at 1:17, there's a specific upstroke that sounds very guitarish, and like it's coming out of an amp. Same goes for 0:28, when the instrument is playing alone. The strumming style and voicings (only a couple notes per chord) do make me think it could be a ukulele though.
SBonilla
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 07:26:20 AM »

It sounds like a steel string uke on Love To Say Dada.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2020, 08:39:41 AM »

A somewhat rare practice, but certainly it's done.

Have any of you listened to Lyle's first jazz uke album?  It's a great record, and there are a few times his uke sounds pretty electric guitar-ish on that, too.
SBonilla
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2020, 09:48:14 AM »

A somewhat rare practice, but certainly it's done.

Have any of you listened to Lyle's first jazz uke album?  It's a great record, and there are a few times his uke sounds pretty electric guitar-ish on that, too.

I've had the LP for a number of years. It's a fine album! There is a change in one of the songs that uses the same change as he used in bar four of  Diamond Head.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2020, 02:07:20 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:33:32 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2020, 01:10:33 PM »

The jury is still out for me -- however, this is interesting either way (I had used this clip, when the video first came out, to solidify my idea that there was uke on the 67 track):

https://youtu.be/OrZS6rxTqoM?t=823

Either there is uke on the original track, vindicating my initial assessment, OR it continues to prove that contemporary Brian neither remembers, cares, or has any grasp of what he was up to in those days.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2020, 02:00:05 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:33:07 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2020, 02:37:47 PM »

The jury is still out for me -- however, this is interesting either way (I had used this clip, when the video first came out, to solidify my idea that there was uke on the 67 track):

https://youtu.be/OrZS6rxTqoM?t=823

Either there is uke on the original track, vindicating my initial assessment, OR it continues to prove that contemporary Brian neither remembers, cares, or has any grasp of what he was up to in those days.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that - BWPS threw a ukulele on Do You Like Worms too! There's a ton of that sort of thing going on all over the album. Dano bass where there wasn't originally, extra harpsichord, different percussion, added horns and strings, a bassline wrongly transcribed, more acoustic guitars, random bass harmonica, a missing woodwind, etc. I guess they were on a deadline and couldn't agonise over these things like we do but still!

A microscopic one that kills me is an anecdote about Brian listening to the Worms Hawaiian bridge, getting to the two-part harmony nasal humming vocals between himself & Carl and asking how they got that sound. Van Dyke answered "it was a lap steel guitar with a vocal doubling"... so they went ahead and recorded it with someone singing alongside a guitar Embarrassed

Wow...tough room.

PS - Watching the recording of the BWPS album as linked above is pure joy for me, and erases many if not all of the misconceptions and false information that went around regarding Brian's role in making that album. You're seeing a guy produce amazing music after so many counted him out in that role. Essential viewing.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2020, 04:01:52 PM »

It's a wonderful clip, but it's frustrating as a musicologist when it's just as hard to get answers about what musicians were playing in 1967 when the dude who orchestrated the music is still alive as it is to figure out what musicians were playing in 1667 (My other musicological special interest).  Buxtehude, of course, being long dead!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2020, 01:17:00 AM »

It's a strange production!  Pitman was playing a lot of Dano then but who knows!

Not to derail the thread, but I was just looking up something about one of Bill Pitman's guitars... and I stumbled on the fact that Bill celebrated his 100th birthday a couple months ago.  How freakin' cool is that?   Was I the only one who was unaware of this milestone??
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2020, 05:51:31 AM »

I knew he was getting close to the century but I didn't remember the exact day.  That is indeed amazing and I'm glad he is still around.  To many more years, Bill!
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2020, 11:59:04 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:30:50 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx