gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:22:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cool interview with Steve Levine  (Read 7896 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2020, 07:38:47 PM »

"Getcha back" often gets critisized because of the similarities to Springsteen's "Hungry heart", but it still is a very good single imo and tells a good story.

It speaks well of Springsteen's classiness and non-litigiousness that he didn't sue.  Certainly, if someone had so blatantly ripped off ML himself, there's no doubt that he'd have lawyered up toot suite.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »

I enjoy some of the album but I just can’t get into some of the real 80’s stuff, it just doesn’t sound like the BB’s. And I’m not saying it had to had a surf sound or a Pet Sounds or SMiLE sound, but I’ve never been able to get into Carl’s songs and a couple others for that reason.

I am disappointed reading about Al's behavior at one point during the sessions. That just doesn't go with the image I've always had of Al. Thinking of Al making Levine CRY with his behavior would be like if I saw Brian Wilson slam dancing in a mosh pit at a punk rock concert. It just defies nature.

Agreed on that point. With the exception of this incident and the 1977 tarmac incident, it seems like Al was a good guy who tended to get a bit stubborn on certain things (Gary Usher; plus walking offstage once in the ‘90’s?, but maybe this was ‘97/‘98 and if so that would make sense).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2020, 05:42:15 AM »

"Getcha back" often gets critisized because of the similarities to Springsteen's "Hungry heart", but it still is a very good single imo and tells a good story.

It speaks well of Springsteen's classiness and non-litigiousness that he didn't sue.  Certainly, if someone had so blatantly ripped off ML himself, there's no doubt that he'd have lawyered up toot suite.

Actually, the similarities are in the rhythm style and overall arrangements, but not the melodies or lyrics - so I doubt a lawsuit could be successfully mounted.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2020, 08:30:48 AM »

Actually, the similarities are in the rhythm style and overall arrangements, but not the melodies or lyrics - so I doubt a lawsuit could be successfully mounted.

IMO, it goes beyond the obvious rhythm and cadence duplication.  The two are so melodically similar in many places that you could swap lyrics between the two, e.g.:

He may have money and a brand new car

and

Lay down your money and you play your part

In any case, we'll never get a jury's opinion on this because Bruce obviously has no intention of suing.   Of course, one could also make the argument (and some have) that Hungry Heart is itself an homage to Brian & the Beach Boys on the basis of its instrumental track, backing vocals, arrangement and sped-up lead vocal.  So that might complicate any litigation a bit too, i.e.., an interesting situation where you record an homage to a band, and then said band turns around and rips off your homage to them.  Well, the whole thing has a certain "ouroboros" quality to it.

In any case, as a side note, presented for your listening pleasure, ML's rendition of Hungry Heart...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLpU-JAw9fk
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2021, 11:29:35 AM »

Steve Levine discusses Stevie Wonder and The Beach Boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbmoqda0Pbo

Levine plays some of Stevie Wonder's demo of "I do love you"!!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2021, 08:28:54 PM »

FWIW, during a press conference en 2013 I asked Stevie about IDL and he answered that it was a song he had written in the style of the BBs during the sixties...
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2021, 06:41:41 AM »

Of course, one could also make the argument (and some have) that Hungry Heart is itself an homage to Brian & the Beach Boys on the basis of its instrumental track, backing vocals, arrangement and sped-up lead vocal.  So that might complicate any litigation a bit too, i.e.., an interesting situation where you record an homage to a band, and then said band turns around and rips off your homage to them.  Well, the whole thing has a certain "ouroboros" quality to it.

Wonder if Mike will ever sue the Beatles for not crediting him for Back in the USSR - that must be worth a few quid
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2021, 07:16:37 AM »

Of course, one could also make the argument (and some have) that Hungry Heart is itself an homage to Brian & the Beach Boys on the basis of its instrumental track, backing vocals, arrangement and sped-up lead vocal.  So that might complicate any litigation a bit too, i.e.., an interesting situation where you record an homage to a band, and then said band turns around and rips off your homage to them.  Well, the whole thing has a certain "ouroboros" quality to it.

Wonder if Mike will ever sue the Beatles for not crediting him for Back in the USSR - that must be worth a few quid

Pretty sure Mcca took care of that  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
jwoverho
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2021, 07:04:13 PM »

I'd never read or heard anything about Levine's time with the band and his work on the album before the interview. He seems like a very nice and straightforward person. He obviously has great respect and affection for Brian. His stories are an interesting glimpse at the man behind the public image.

When you consider his background and success at the time, the production is exactly in line with what you'd expect. They didn't hire him for a Beach Boys-style production, they obviously hired him to make a contemporary album. Steve definitely brought the modern technology available at the time to the group, and I'm sure it was a culture shock for a band used to working like the old days back at Western, Gold Star, Brother Studios, or even Brian's house.

It's not a bad album, it's just not what most people expected.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2021, 09:12:47 PM »

Towards the end he sneaks in, "My relationship with Bruce is as is" with a bit of a negative vibe... Wonder what their quarrels with each other would have been?

Based on first hand knowledge Bruce seems to turn directions on people at the drop of a hat, without rhyme or reason. I know of at least three occasions on the C50 tour, and there are plenty of other stories here.  I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Levine didn’t get along with him

Care to document any? C'mon don't leave us hangin'!
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2021, 11:17:34 AM »

From what I've read, mostly by fans, Bruce can be hot and cold with people. Somewhere on this board, there's an anecdote of Bruce getting really pissed at a fan who mentioned Bruce's production on LA and KTSA. He seems like a very affable man, but he's also a businessman at the end of the day. If I recall, didn't he tell Carlin in an e-mail interview for CAW something along the lines of, "You fans really take this seriously, it's just a business to me."

I've never met him though, so again, most of what I know is what fans post along. I'm sure others can shed some light on that.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx