gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
658652 Posts in 26378 Topics by 3745 Members - Latest Member: oncetoseeyou June 05, 2020, 05:47:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cool interview with Steve Levine  (Read 1856 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2020, 07:38:47 PM »

"Getcha back" often gets critisized because of the similarities to Springsteen's "Hungry heart", but it still is a very good single imo and tells a good story.

It speaks well of Springsteen's classiness and non-litigiousness that he didn't sue.  Certainly, if someone had so blatantly ripped off ML himself, there's no doubt that he'd have lawyered up toot suite.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »

I enjoy some of the album but I just canít get into some of the real 80ís stuff, it just doesnít sound like the BBís. And Iím not saying it had to had a surf sound or a Pet Sounds or SMiLE sound, but Iíve never been able to get into Carlís songs and a couple others for that reason.

I am disappointed reading about Al's behavior at one point during the sessions. That just doesn't go with the image I've always had of Al. Thinking of Al making Levine CRY with his behavior would be like if I saw Brian Wilson slam dancing in a mosh pit at a punk rock concert. It just defies nature.

Agreed on that point. With the exception of this incident and the 1977 tarmac incident, it seems like Al was a good guy who tended to get a bit stubborn on certain things (Gary Usher; plus walking offstage once in the Ď90ís?, but maybe this was Ď97/Ď98 and if so that would make sense).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2020, 05:42:15 AM »

"Getcha back" often gets critisized because of the similarities to Springsteen's "Hungry heart", but it still is a very good single imo and tells a good story.

It speaks well of Springsteen's classiness and non-litigiousness that he didn't sue.  Certainly, if someone had so blatantly ripped off ML himself, there's no doubt that he'd have lawyered up toot suite.

Actually, the similarities are in the rhythm style and overall arrangements, but not the melodies or lyrics - so I doubt a lawsuit could be successfully mounted.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2020, 08:30:48 AM »

Actually, the similarities are in the rhythm style and overall arrangements, but not the melodies or lyrics - so I doubt a lawsuit could be successfully mounted.

IMO, it goes beyond the obvious rhythm and cadence duplication.  The two are so melodically similar in many places that you could swap lyrics between the two, e.g.:

He may have money and a brand new car

and

Lay down your money and you play your part

In any case, we'll never get a jury's opinion on this because Bruce obviously has no intention of suing.   Of course, one could also make the argument (and some have) that Hungry Heart is itself an homage to Brian & the Beach Boys on the basis of its instrumental track, backing vocals, arrangement and sped-up lead vocal.  So that might complicate any litigation a bit too, i.e.., an interesting situation where you record an homage to a band, and then said band turns around and rips off your homage to them.  Well, the whole thing has a certain "ouroboros" quality to it.

In any case, as a side note, presented for your listening pleasure, ML's rendition of Hungry Heart...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLpU-JAw9fk
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx