gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:35:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: ..
Americana - 2 (8.3%)
Cycle Of Life - 15 (62.5%)
Elements - 7 (29.2%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your favorite BWPS section?  (Read 2813 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2006, 12:58:08 PM »

My favorite is the Cycle Of Life section. Wonderful and Surf's Up are two of Brian's most beautiful compositions and Song For Children and Child Of Father Of The Man are the perfect bridge between these songs. The way these two songs are building up to Surf's Up is just magical.

*edit* typo in the subject
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:22:38 PM by shelter » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 01:43:44 PM »

Oh, you mean BWPS!

I agree with you.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 02:05:22 PM »

Very hard but I voted for "Elements" because I felt like this at the moment...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 06:51:28 AM »

The first half, with "Heroes" and that lot -- the "old west" kinda movement.

Though my favorite FAVORITE bit is "Holidays" with the new lyrics.
Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 07:14:32 AM »

The "cycle of life" section I feel is most perfetly contructed, but the chorus lyrics for
"song for children" takes away the impact from the song with the same name.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 09:03:18 AM »

Even though I once did the same thread, I just found out that I'm not able to vote. They are all soo DIFFERENT, and that's exactly what I like about them. Each one has it's own unique mood/feel. The sound of the second movement is very close to Gershwin, while the third one reminds me very much of Charles Ives.... If you would hold a gun on my head, I would go with the third one, because it contains the biggest "amount of music". But then I would have to live without "Surf's Up".... no, I really can't decide.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 09:40:12 AM »

In my opinion, the second movement of Smile ranks up there with Good Vibrations as the best thing Brian's ever done.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 12:43:25 PM »

The cycle of life section blew my mind at the RFH concert in 04. This was the first time I ever heard Look/SFC and Child is the Father of the Man and at the risk of sounding pretentious I swear I had an epiphany of sorts. These songs were like hearing God Only knows for the first time - they were like a missing fragment of Pet Sounds, yet at the same time they seemed so beautifully sad in the context of Brian Wilson's tragic story. They just seemed to resonate with me on so many levels. From that point on I was obsessed with Smile and have never tired of BWPS. I love the Americana section and the Elements too but I think this sequence is so beautifully conceived that you can almost believe that this was how it was intended in 66/67!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »

I know that I was certainly mesmerized when I witnessed the SMiLE show in Cleveland in Oct. 2004. No doubt about it. Pure musical magic.
kshane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 08:12:30 PM »

The "doing doings" in Cabin Essence get me every time.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 08:45:14 PM »

I used to really like the 2nd movement, but then slowly the third movement grew on me.  I like how they kind of put GV on there to represent 'ether', the way it effortlessly flows from track to track too is brilliant.  Holiday and Blue Hawaii are both gorgeous, the way the whispering winds float through the intro to Wind Chimes, etc.  It's all just a masterpiece.  The second movement is very beautiful, but the third movement I like because it's so dynamic, insane, and brilliant at the same time.  The Americana movement drags for me... I like Barnyard, Prayer, and Gee, but a lot of the other sections are kind of repetitive to me and don't hold up to repeated listenings.  I even like the "rock, rock, roll" part better when it's in Holidays.  Also, there's more 'story' involved in the third movement since it's reportedly (who's to say, though?) the one movement that Brian hadn't conceptualized completely or completed in the 60's. 
Jason
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 08:55:15 PM »

I can't pick one. I'd pick all three if I could. They're all great. How do you pick one great cherry out of an orchard full of them? (Bad analogy, I know)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx