gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:52:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Love single  (Read 28822 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2020, 10:11:55 AM »

Let's remember that Mike is the guy who rhymed good vibrations with assassinations. That being said it's also  clear that OSD has never contributed anything to this group except asinine  comments about Love. I could forgive him if they were funny but....
No, he isn't. He didn't write that song.

That almost makes it worse - what’s the line “whose more foolish, the fool? Or the fool who follows him?”

Firstly, blows my mind that Mike didn’t write these lyrics. Secondly if he didn’t write them and he willfully chose to use these lyrics  that blows my mind even more.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2020, 12:53:03 PM »

Let's remember that Mike is the guy who rhymed good vibrations with assassinations. That being said it's also  clear that OSD has never contributed anything to this group except asinine  comments about Love. I could forgive him if they were funny but....
No, he isn't. He didn't write that song.

That almost makes it worse - what’s the line “whose more foolish, the fool? Or the fool who follows him?”

Firstly, blows my mind that Mike didn’t write these lyrics. Secondly if he didn’t write them and he willfully chose to use these lyrics  that blows my mind even more.

I'm trying to understand what it would've been like, in 1981, to purchase Mike's solo album, an album by the guy who frequently  tried to make sure he gets enough credit in the band, who constantly plays up what he termed to be his essential role as a vital lyricist without whom even albums like Pet Sounds would have suffered - and then look at the liners to see Mike hardly wrote any lyrics for his own solo album?!

It is just so absolutely bananas to me I can't understand it. For the simple fact that Mike had a chip on his shoulder about wanting to get more praise for song writing lyrics. And understandably, because he was screwed out of credits for a long time and that isn't fair, regardless of what anybody thinks of the guy.  What logical explanation could there be? Isn't a solo album a chance for a person to let the craft that they are best known for shine? Most especially when that person feels underappreciated - and has made their frustrations probably known via complaints and self praise more than virtually any other songwriter in any famous band in the history of music?

I almost wonder if he wrote some of these lyrics, but used a pseudonym for some reason. It boggles the mind. The only explanation I could see would be if he actually wrote most of those lyrics but then felt embarrassed by them because maybe some people at the record label said that they stunk, but it was already too late to change anything because the album was too far along and contracts have to be met? That doesn't make much sense either, but I can't see anything else.

Because let's face it - rhyming good vibrations with assassinations is precisely the type of thing that Mike would do himself. The way that people can listen to a Brian Wilson series of chord changes and instantly recognize his distinctive style - and feel confident that it's a song that he wrote? That's how confident I feel about that being a Love lyric.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:58:47 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2020, 01:45:47 PM »

Maybe we should change the name of this board to The Mike Love Hate Club.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2020, 03:11:10 PM »

11 posts about Mike's single in the last month, a few of which are critical of Mike or his songs, and we're back to "why do people hate Mike Love so much?"

Considering how generally under-productive these guys have been in the studio for years, a new single from a member would typically be relatively big news and be scrutinized.

Mike's "This Too Shall Pass", which every fan I've spoken to agrees is hugely sub-par (to put it politely) while agreeing a charity cause is never a bad thing, has been *very lucky* to have largely flown under the radar. Very lucky considering the paucity of solo studio releases from these guys, to say nothing of large swaths of people having *more* free time at home in recent months to shoot the s**t about stuff like this.

The fact that Mike blows his own horn endlessly about his writing talents yet wrote nearly nothing on his first solo album in 1981 is a pretty interesting piece of information worth discussing I think. In his (sort of) defense, he doesn't seem to be a fan of the album. He seems embarrassed when Brian brings the album up during their "fireside" session in 1989 for the Endless Summer TV show. He has never made any attempt to re-release the album (though I can't be 100% sure he owns it; I believe he owns the "Celebration" material, I'm not sure if owns the LBWL masters outright).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2020, 03:59:53 PM »

Eleven posts? More like eleven or so years. I get it, the guy's done some pretty lousy things over the years. But it's gotten to the point where people think so little of him that they go out of their way to badmouth him. The last few posts are a good example. It's not enough to hate him for what he has done, so everybody has to draw their own conclusions to fit their narrative.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2020, 04:13:16 PM »

Everyone knows, you reap what you sow, all the way from california to kokomo- Bruce Johnston "SIP Video" 1992.... Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2020, 04:27:56 PM »

Ya know what's funny, Jay? I've never seen you once give anyone crap on the Endless Harmony forum (that place where people refuse to acknowledge the name of this forum for whatever petty reason) and yet OSD is the guy who NEVER went through the PM system to spread lies about anyone in Mike's family on this forum.

At least OSD has the balls to be open about spreading his opinion about Mike Love instead of the "historian" who just spreads his bullshit about Melinda behind the curtain (granted, saying he's behind the curtain is giving him way WAY too much credit, but you know what I mean). It's just ridiculous that half the time you post it's almost to discredit this forum. Meanwhile the people who stayed here weren't the ones who were spreading fake Melinda gossip, on a Rambo rampage to make Brian's NPP look bad, or in Cam Mott's case just troll until he gets kicked off (though Lonely Summer is doing a great job filling those pathetic shoes).

Regardless, I've heard OSD's story in person (the guy is awesome and I can't wait to meet up with him again), and it's a completely legitimate and wonderful story - rather than that story about getting cheap lunches from Mike Love and attempting to get addresses of posters on this forum (or in SMiLE Brian's case, getting called out for being Melinda Freaking Wilson (oh great research AGD!) by this person LOL). But go ahead, insult OSD all you want and lick the "Historian's" boots.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:36:34 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »

Eleven posts? More like eleven or so years. I get it, the guy's done some pretty lousy things over the years. But it's gotten to the point where people think so little of him that they go out of their way to badmouth him. The last few posts are a good example. It's not enough to hate him for what he has done, so everybody has to draw their own conclusions to fit their narrative.

Personally, I was just brainstorming potential ideas because I find the whole idea of Mike hardly writing anything on his solo album to be a very, very weird thing indeed. I hate some of the things Mike love has done, I can't claim to hate the man because I don't know him. Even though he has done things that repulse me to a extreme degree, I also know that people are complex.

But the juxtaposition of a guy endlessly *publicly* bemoaning being ripped off for songwriting (his right to do, and despite my issues with him, I have empathy for him about the credit snafu subject), and repeatedly many, many times in interviews pointing out his contributions to songwriting as a lyricist - which would seem to be the actions of somebody who wants the world to know that they have lyric writing chops which have been unfairly overlooked - makes for an unbelievably weird situation where the guy wrote hardly any lyrics on his own solo album... yet on top of that already weird situation, there are numerous lyrics that sound like they couldn't have come from nobody but him.

There are many very weird things about this band, this juxtaposition is most certainly one of them.

Bonus weirdness: I also find it incredibly weird that there's a casual, happily-sung lyric referencing Charles Manson's killings in the aforementioned song, despite the well-known anguish that his cousin experienced and continued to be tormented by pertaining to Manson in a very personal way. I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a passive aggressive swipe when that lyric was included. But what do I know. Just a guess. I could be wrong of course. I'm happy to admit that.

And also, the idea that people have to "draw their own conclusions to fit their own narrative"… Isn't that what everybody does any time they listen to a song by this band? They are emotionally connecting to the narrative of what they have learned of the life history of Brian Wilson, and perhaps putting themselves in his shoes when they listen to the sadness or longing that he sings about. Learning more about the story and the weird twists and turns is naturally going to affect how somebody views the band and the members, I don't know how one can divorce themselves from that. If you think the mere idea of thinking about who Performs or writes the songs that you listen to is such a weird thing, you might as well just listen to all music without ever seeing a single image of a band or reading a single interview, so that you can just listen to music in a completely "neutral" way. But that wouldn't be fun. For better or worse, the story is part of the experience, and it affects how we ingest the music. I can't pretend that I don't think about Phil Spector being a sick twisted guy when I listen to his music, although I still appreciate the music a ton.

Anytime you are gaining some sort of emotional impact from a song by this band, whether positive, negative, or somewhere in between, you are most certainly projecting some thoughts of what you know of that person's story into how you are viewing the song. Isn't that what people do when they go to the Vincent van Gogh Museum? They are seeing his madness, or what they know of his madness, increasingly coming out in his paintings over the years. We can't simply look at art minus the backstory in a bubble; naturally the story is going to influence how we perceive the art. And yes of course, it's unique to everybody, and nobody knows the exact "real" story which is why I'm only speculating. We have to draw our own conclusions. Even members of this band can't agree on a great many things, and certain elements of songs, tours, artistic decisions, have been said to have occurred one way by one member, and another way by another member. All we can do is make educated guesses.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:54:03 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2020, 04:42:43 PM »

Bonus weirdness: I also find it incredibly weird that there's a casual, happily-sung lyric referencing Charles Manson's killings in the aforementioned song, despite the well-known anguish that his cousin experienced and continued to be tormented by pertaining to Manson in a very personal way. I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a passive aggressive swipe when that lyric was included. But what do I know. Just a guess. I could be wrong of course. I'm happy to admit that.

I mean, the dude made a complete mockery of the COVID virus in his "this too shall pass" song...comparing the damn virus to an American championship football game...nuff said. Calling out Mike for his rather poor decisions doesn't make this a Mike Love hate forum - it just means we're completely honest about the people in the band. All these members weren't the best people at times (none of us are perfect), but no one else had the pathetic mindset to sue their own family over a freebie CD - no, that trophy goes to Michael Edward Love.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2020, 10:39:31 PM »

I agree. Let's face it, he's one of the worst human beings on the face of the planet. He should have been banned from performing the way Pete Rose was banned from baseball. "Mr. Love has committed a variety of acts which have stained the music industry, including, but not limited to, falsely claiming co-writing credit on many of genius Brian Wilson's songs; uttering the phrase "don't f*** with the formula"; questioning the lyrics "over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield"; appearing onstage in swami-like robes and gowns; wearing a steady supply of baseball caps onstage despite the fact that Mr. Love has never played a game of baseball in his entire life; claiming credit for the success of the BB's only post-BW #1, Kokomo, a song written by Papa John Phillips and San Francisco Scott McKenzie; insisting that the Beach Boys appear on Full House, and dragging John Stamos along on every high profile gig since; the stinkfest that is Summer in Paradise; the pathetic tribute album Stars and Stripes Volume 1; for continuing to call his band the Beach Boys, despite the fact that he is the only original Beach Boy in the group; for doing shows for trophy hunters and supporting Donald Trump's presidency; for his continued leering at teenage girls, despite the fact that he is a 70 something father and husband with multiple marriages; and lastly, for releasing the worst music ever under his own name, but always with the Beach Boys brand name close by. "
Rock and roll needs a Bart Giamatti to put this despicable human being in his place. Lock the SOB up, and throw away the key.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2020, 12:22:07 AM »

He might well be my favorite BB lyricist, from the earliest stuff up until Wild Honey at least, which features some of his most consistent work. Very dedicated to keeping the music of the band alive, even though the way he does it is not the way that some of us hardcore fans think it should be done. He made some substantial contributions to the world of music but without Brian he'd be nothing and I'm sure he knows it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2020, 02:09:54 AM »

I think it was Nate R who once started a “positive things about Mike Love” thread - plenty of people had awesome things to say about the guy (including me). Without him The Beach Boys wouldn’t be the same band we know now...I don’t even know if they would exist at all without the guy. He has co-written some of my favorite songs ever so I give credit where it is due. Also, he has one heck of a work ethic (his whole band does playing all the shows they do - at least before Covid). Also I give him credit for going to the studio as often as he does - I don’t like most of the music he creates (at least from a production standpoint), but I sure do wish Brian had that same drive to hit the studio as much as Mike does these days.

If OSD has his opinion about Mike than so be it - he is absolutely entitled to his opinion after being a fan since the 60s. If it’s an opinion he wants to share every day he is free to do so...and granted, people are free to have an opinion about his opinion too. I just find it funny that some people seem to be more offended about OSD’s legitimate gripes about Mike than they are about certain posters who straight up spread false stories about Melinda (not to mention other posters who admitted to spending years mocking Brian’s music just to troll, admitted to defending Mike no matter what just to troll, etc - these people seem to get a pass but OSD (who watched this band devolve to mockery from their heyday) is the one who gets lambasted).

I honestly often wish I could go back to being the ignorant fanboy I was 10 years ago - I didn’t know about the politics, I didn’t know who-knew-who and thus knew why people post or share the things they do. I strictly cared about the music and it’s a time I will always be fond of. But I’m also glad that I don’t willfully ignore the awful things I have learned that people have done in this fandom (including lie about me and others on this forum)...which is why I will never again be a part of a forum that coddles such people.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 02:15:38 AM by rab2591 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2020, 05:57:31 AM »

OSD's stories about friday night school dances and 1960s concerts are worth the price of admission. Hell, he saw the 1971 Carnegie Hall shows rock after suffering through Mike's stage banter in the 1960s...

I saw Pete Rose in Vegas in an empty memorabilia shop with over priced crap, he got what he deserved betting on baseball and lying about it for 30 years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2020, 07:21:52 AM »

... the Endless Harmony forum (that place where people refuse to acknowledge the name of this forum for whatever petty reason) ...

Just to set the record straight, I referred to SmileySmile as the "other" board over at EH, when I was trying to find out why this board was down for a while one day (at least it was an outage on my end). My thinking, perhaps flawed, was that leaving this board unnamed would be less likely to stir controversy over at there, when all I wished to find out was why I couldn't get this board to load. No other motive, seriously.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2020, 07:50:53 AM »

... the Endless Harmony forum (that place where people refuse to acknowledge the name of this forum for whatever petty reason) ...

Just to set the record straight, I referred to SmileySmile as the "other" board over at EH, when I was trying to find out why this board was down for a while one day (at least it was an outage on my end). My thinking, perhaps flawed, was that leaving this board unnamed would be less likely to stir controversy over at there, when all I wished to find out was why I couldn't get this board to load. No other motive, seriously.

Hey Emdeeh, thanks for the response. I definitely see your point if you weren't trying to cause a stir, however I've seen it done so often there and when the PS forum was still around. It's usually done by petty people with petty motives.

As for the board being down - someone guessed that Charle's didn't pay the bill to which AGD responded "Exactly that: happens every year, as the forum is barely on Chuckie's radar." Whether or not that is true, this board goes in and out all the time for me and I highly doubt the 5 times a week this happens to me (and I see the same message you saw nearly every time) has anything to do with Charles not paying a bill. Actually I wouldn't mind hearing from the Mods about their theories as to why the website goes down ever so often.

I remember it starting to consistently go down often after the PS Forum became a thing. I highly doubt anyone would be petulant enough to program an ongoing/sporadic DDOS attack on this place, but nearly stupider things have happened with certain people in this fandom so who knows.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:52:20 AM by rab2591 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2020, 07:59:55 AM »

Doe's always treated the owner of the board as his manservant.... Roll Eyes

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2020, 09:17:44 AM »

Rab2591, I often get a "busy signal" when trying to access this forum. I suspect the issues we see off and on are on the server side of things. It's probably the hosting service updating the software.

Anyway, enough of sidetracking this thread. Let's get back to discussing Mike's single.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:18:25 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2020, 03:30:47 PM »

I was obviously referring to the recent activity that elicited your response. There has been VERY LITTLE discussion of this Mike track in the last month on this thread. It was dormant for a month or so (and was not a huge thread to begin with), and then a few people picked it back up and then something at that point seemed to elicit your "Mike Love Hate Club" comment.

The commentary about Mike as of late has been pretty light. The last big ruckus was the *100% SELF-INFLICTED* wound back in February when Mike did that trophy hunting gig. The COVID situation coming up in March actually ended up probably prematurely burying that PR debacle that Mike caused.

After over a decade on this board, to pick *this moment* to re-litigate how "anti-Mike" this board is just seems odd to me. There have certainly been moments where things sway more or less critical of Mike (and the justified nature of that varies as well), but aside from the trophy hunting gig, things haven't been excessively negative about Mike on the board as far as I can tell. *And*, if one has felt for "eleven or so years" that the board feels this way to them, then why continue to post thousands of times? Why would someone be a member for over a decade and post thousands of times to a place they feel should be called "The Mike Love Hate Club?"
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:32:55 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2020, 04:38:54 PM »

On top of what HeyJude wrote, I would also like to point out that the resident troll "Lonely Summer" posted some of the anti-Mike rhetoric in this very thread just to troll (even though he is a Mike apologist). So using dummy/fake Mike-hate posts as evidence that this place is a den of anti-Mike lunatics doesn't really back up Jay's case. Also I think it's kinda lousy to badmouth a forum that your own bandmember moderates, but that's just me.

The "The Mike Love Hate Club" label is just an attempt to delegitimize this place. In reality, the forum is constantly full of great conversation that usually doesn't devolve into a Mike Love hatefest. Usually when Mike does something stupid he will get called out for it (trophy hunting gig, continuing to release records drowning in autotune after his comments about Brian's music not being great if they used autotune, etc). But normally this place is full of varied conversation that has nothing to do with the asinine things that Mike Love does at times.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 05:26:18 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2020, 11:27:02 PM »

Hey Emdeeh, thanks for the response. I definitely see your point if you weren't trying to cause a stir, however I've seen it done so often there and when the PS forum was still around. It's usually done by petty people with petty motives.

As for the board being down - someone guessed that Charle's didn't pay the bill to which AGD responded "Exactly that: happens every year, as the forum is barely on Chuckie's radar." Whether or not that is true, this board goes in and out all the time for me and I highly doubt the 5 times a week this happens to me (and I see the same message you saw nearly every time) has anything to do with Charles not paying a bill. Actually I wouldn't mind hearing from the Mods about their theories as to why the website goes down ever so often.

I remember it starting to consistently go down often after the PS Forum became a thing. I highly doubt anyone would be petulant enough to program an ongoing/sporadic DDOS attack on this place, but nearly stupider things have happened with certain people in this fandom so who knows.

The board software is way out of date. Also have you ever tried look at this site on mobile? Presumably a web developer needs to be hired at this stage to upgrade everything safely.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2020, 05:35:46 AM »

Yeah, I'd say I use it half the time on mobile and posting that way is annoying. That being said I've gotten so used to it that it's not the biggest deal to me. However, for new and younger members I can see why this place would need a big upgrade...not that it's not annoying for those of us who have been here longer, but I do wonder how many newcomers don't even bother to sign up because this place isn't mobile friendly (I'd guess most casual web browsing is done on mobile devices these days).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:39:21 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2020, 05:50:58 AM »

Fun Fun Fun in the Sun Sun Sun
https://youtu.be/AVrydhy-YZ4?t=55
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2020, 07:57:16 AM »

Rab2591, I find this site works just fine in mobile if you turn your phone horizontally. I can even use this site with my decidedly-not-smart phone (read only, but that's OK), as well as with an iPad.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:59:16 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2020, 11:44:57 AM »

Thanks Emdeeh, I’ll try that horizontal trick out. Also I agree, viewing this site on the iPad is pretty good.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2020, 12:41:17 PM »

Site looks fine in Safari on my iPhone 7

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx