gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:22:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Love single  (Read 28836 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2020, 08:08:42 AM »

GIOMH is actually a strong album from a songwriting perspective. The songs on it range from good to great. The problem with the album is Brian's lackluster performance on at least half of the songs. Take "Rainbow eyes" - what a beautiful song, completely destroyed by the vocals and production. "Make a wish" could've been a nice rocking tune, but here as well, Brian's wall-of-Brian-vocals are unimaginative and boring. Not all songs are masterpieces, "You've touched me", "A friend like you", "The waltz" are album filler material, but still have a certain amount of quality. But from the point songwriting this could be the most versatile album of his solo career and a very strong one. Performance and production make it unfortunately a "could-have-been". The strong cuts on here show some of the potential.

I agree. Part of me always wondered if it wasn't the emotional baggage of revisiting songs that were written during a really difficult period of time for Brian, that caused him to not really care to do his very best job on this album.  Almost like he was screwing a corpse, so to speak.

Getting back in the headspace of performing songs that he directly associated with the Landy period may have just been really tough for him to do, and my guess is that he wanted to get it over with as soon as possible.

When Brian did BWPS, it seems that a similar attitude was brewing, as evidenced by the "beautiful dreamer" documentary where he was mentally checking out at a certain point. However, due to the unbelievably important historical nature of the album, and what an important emotional hurdle it was for him to tackle, he was supported by his band to an unbelievable degree, and they went above and beyond to coax a good performance out of him, to make him feel supported.

This is just a guess, but I just assume that since the material on GROMH didn't carry that same weight, the same amount of effort  just wasn't put into the material by those in Brian's support system in order to coax the very best performances out of him. You can't make the guy sound like he gives a f*** when he doesn't. I think that's really what happened there. There are some good songs there without a doubt, but the apathy in the vocal performances just shows. I can't imagine that the ghost of the Landy era isn't at least *part* of that equation.

Getting back to the Mike song, "a viral Super Bowl" is just perhaps the worst released lyric of his career. It's certainly as bad as anything the amateur wannabe musician Landy wrote. I can't understand if the lyric is meant to be lighthearted, funny, cringey, or what. Obviously the coronavirus is not something to joke about where the song is meant to be a charity single. If Mike wants to take up joke writing, he can always start creating memes. I think humor and comedy is important, and I'm ok with sometimes making jokes about difficult topics, but it's all about context, and this doesn't seem like the right song for that. Unless, again, this song is intended as a parody.

So yeah, so many aspects of that song are wretched, and ultimately, perplexing.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:09:08 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2020, 06:14:36 AM »

Mike on KTLA news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNuoGKYzwTw
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2020, 11:12:46 AM »

Mike Love Interview on WQMF, Tony & Dwight Morning Show (2020-05-06)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt-71yeQjCk

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »

GIOMH is actually a strong album from a songwriting perspective. The songs on it range from good to great. The problem with the album is Brian's lackluster performance on at least half of the songs. Take "Rainbow eyes" - what a beautiful song, completely destroyed by the vocals and production. "Make a wish" could've been a nice rocking tune, but here as well, Brian's wall-of-Brian-vocals are unimaginative and boring. Not all songs are masterpieces, "You've touched me", "A friend like you", "The waltz" are album filler material, but still have a certain amount of quality. But from the point songwriting this could be the most versatile album of his solo career and a very strong one. Performance and production make it unfortunately a "could-have-been". The strong cuts on here show some of the potential.

While I don't think the compositions are generally *that* great, there is at least a slightly better album buried there somewhere under GIOMH. It's a truly bizarre album in many ways. Rejects from "Sweet Insanity", re-recorded, then Joe Thomas outtakes (this time using the backing tracks, apparently), some Paley stuff, then Brian veering from surprisingly strong vocal stacks (the intro to "How Could We Still Be Dancin'?") to first-take-five-minutes-after-I-woke-up with the vocal intro to "You've Touched Me."

The best compositional stuff is marred by awful production and arrangement. "Gettin' In Over My Head" is turned from a stark, sort of Righteous Brothers-backing track sound to Joe Thomas's late 90s easy listening deal. "How Could We...." has a great vocal intro, and everything else is pretty pedestrian.

"You've Touched Me" and "A Friend Like You" have decent songs buried under awful production ("A Friend Like You" might be the most over-produced song in his solo catalog) and, while I love Steve Kalinich, excessively drippy, mawkish lyrics.

I probably like the 2004 "Make A Wish" more than the "SI" version, but neither is great. And as blasphemous as it sounds, I've never been as enamored with *any* version of "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel" as many fans. Yes, a nice song is buried under there. But when a Wondermints version is the best version you can find, that doesn't bode well for Brian's multiple iterations. I think "Rainbow Eyes" is kinda goofy. Some nice bits I guess, but it's kinda like some of McCartney's stuff where it might make a nice children's record or something. "Saturday Morning in the City" is easily in the Top Five of most annoying songs Brian has ever written.

The best song on the album, "Soul Searchin" is nearly ruined by stripping the BB backing vocals away (which probably *had* to happen given contractual issues and the political climate among band members at the time in 2004) and Brian erasing Carl's great bridge vocal and replacing it with his shouty version. It took many years, but by 2015 Brian figured out a good way to do guest spots. Just let Al sing pretty much the whole song sometimes.

"City Blues" could have been *great*. I was calling for Brian to re-record that *years* before he did, just based off the scratchy "Cocaine/Hamburger" demo. In 2004, it was once again exceedingly overproduced in every way (instrumentation, reverb, etc.) and Clapton's guitar work is sleepwalk status.

The vocal guest spots (minus Carl) aren't even very good. Elton sounds constipated, McCartney sounds like he has one foot out the door at the studio.

"The Waltz" sounds like the Rutles trying to spoof the "Orange Crate Art" album.

That all being said, go figure, I still feel like I liked and like it slightly more than many other fans. I take it for what it is; a seeming contractual requirement album.  Not sure if it was ever confirmed that Brian's camp reportedly essentially tacked the album on as a "rider" to the "Presents Smile" album deal.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:42:09 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2020, 11:57:02 AM »

FLASH!! BREAKING NEWS!! Are you ready?? NEW MIKE LOVE SINGLE HAS RAISED (at last count available) ... HOLD ON!!! 

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2020, 03:44:27 PM »

FLASH!! BREAKING NEWS!! Are you ready?? NEW MIKE LOVE SINGLE HAS RAISED (at last count available) ... HOLD ON!!! 

This is extremely unnecessary and not a joking matter.  The COVID-19 pandemic is a serious issue, and the single released has good intentions for charity.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2020, 05:53:17 PM »

Agreed.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2020, 06:53:50 PM »

Way past time for both of you to get off your high horse.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2020, 07:55:24 PM »

Way past time for both of you to get off your high horse.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I’ll repeat what I said in my previous post:  This is extremely unnecessary and not a joking matter.  The COVID-19 pandemic is a serious issue, and the single released has good intentions for charity.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2020, 03:08:43 AM »

Way past time for both of you to get off your high horse.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I’ll repeat what I said in my previous post:  This is extremely unnecessary and not a joking matter.  The COVID-19 pandemic is a serious issue, and the single released has good intentions for charity.

A serious enough issue that Mike is telling us to “get back to having fun fun fun in the sun”. It’s not a joking matter but yet we’re discussing a song that states that this pandemic is a “viral super bowl”. You are chastising someone for not taking this issue seriously enough in a thread about a song that literally equates this pandemic (that has killed 350,000+) to an American championship football game.

Who here thought that this song would reap in a windfall of cash? $50 is $50 more than I’ve given to Coronavirus relief efforts...so Mike gets credit from me. However, I can’t not ignore that Mike has an incredible wealth of resources (not money, but connections to other Beach Boys) and if done right they could really bring in some money with a virtual reunion song or pre-recorded virtual concert. Which is likely why OSD is laughing at the fact that a man worth $90 million (and who has ceaselessly bragged about his songwriting abilities) raised a likely total of $50 for global pandemic relief.

Who knows, maybe Mike did call up Brian and Brian wasn’t interested in a virtual reunion, and this is the best idea Mike could come up with. Props to him. At this point I’m sure all of us know someone who has had COVID-19, or know of someone who has died from it. So I’m not disputing the seriousness of the issue, but you can’t really go after someone for not being serious about this issue when defending a song that bellows the line “we’re turning lemons into lemonade” in regards to COVID-19.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:13:45 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2020, 09:44:03 AM »

Thanks, Rab, for totally "getting it". It appears that my post went far over their heads and hopefully yours will calm their jittery nerves somewhat. While it's alright to jump someone's bones around here, perhaps after reading a post, it's better to pause and at least try to understand the reasoning behind it. But, to haul off and accuse someone of "making a joke" of something like the virus is incredible facetious and ignorant.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2020, 10:12:39 AM »

Whatever happened to the fund for OSD to visit club Kokomo... Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2020, 11:34:58 AM »

Whatever happened to the fund for OSD to visit club Kokomo... Evil

There’s a whole thread just waiting. Failed Beach Boys Business Ventures.
I guess that idea Mike pushed a couple of years ago where the pictures used were of a hotel in Tahiti never took off.

Edit: Kokomo Brands....yep. Link doesn’t work.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 11:51:16 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2020, 12:27:19 PM »

Source?

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2020, 01:40:58 PM »

The Dreaded Mike Love Facebook Page.   WARNING:  Go there at your own risk!!

Source?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »

As of today a visit to Mike's Facebook page and a post from May 24 shows that a total of $30 has been raised for Feeding America.

I'd seriously suggest the people running Mike's social media take a look at that part of the page and check if something is wrong. For all of the interviews and press Mike had given to promote this new single, if that tally of donations is accurate, it's pretty pathetic. Even if everyone "liking" his posts on his page gave a dollar, it would be better optics to have a few hundred in the kitty versus showing a total of 30 bucks.

I have to think there is an error or something, and if that is not the case, or this is something separate from his song downloads going to charity, maybe Mike could pitch in a few grand to that pot to inspire more donations, so it doesn't look like the campaign was a flop. Or at least have his online team look into that part of the page. As it looks now, it's both confusing and/or embarrassing to have a campaign launched almost a month ago through Mike's song showing a total of 30 bucks, and to have his home page suggesting that's the case. Fix it!

I will say kudos to both Mike and John Stamos for their work with veterans and veterans charities, much respect and thanks for those efforts.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2020, 10:48:52 AM »

It amazes me that an artist with the money that Mike Love have, chooses to have so bad production and amateurish mixes on his songs nowadays.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2020, 12:37:11 PM »

It amazes me that an artist with the money that Mike Love have, chooses to have so bad production and amateurish mixes on his songs nowadays.
Are you kidding? Mike Love and the word "sh*t" are synonymous.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »

Are you kidding? Mike Love and the word "sh*t" are synonymous.

Lonely Summer, Mike Love haters around the world salute you!!  group hug Drinking Buddies Hug Kool-Aid Man Hello Thumbs Up w00t! w00t! w00t! Pirate High Five Rock! Love Happy Dance Bow Kiss Cool

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2020, 04:29:36 PM »

Let's remember that Mike is the guy who rhymed good vibrations with assassinations. That being said it's also  clear that OSD has never contributed anything to this group except asinine  comments about Love. I could forgive him if they were funny but....
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2020, 04:38:24 PM »

OSD is a legend all over the internet!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2020, 05:31:46 PM »

Let's remember that Mike is the guy who rhymed good vibrations with assassinations. That being said it's also  clear that OSD has never contributed anything to this group except asinine  comments about Love. I could forgive him if they were funny but....
No, he isn't. He didn't write that song.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2020, 06:34:23 PM »

^ True.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2020, 07:22:17 PM »

OSD is a legend all over the internet!

Thanks SB, but I don't want to see egg splattered all over Gerry's face. He can only dream of what's gone down over the last 50 years.  LOL

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2020, 06:34:00 AM »

No, he isn't. He didn't write that song.

The guy who did write it has one entry on discogs. I'm suspicious.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx