gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:56:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Love single  (Read 28839 times)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2020, 02:34:32 PM »

I agree there. A song like ‘Getcha Back’ (which I hate) does have lyrics that aren’t really all that bad, whereas the things Mike wrote on SIP is beyond juvenile and embarrassingly bad. Wowzers. The missing ingredient: Brian Wilson.

@ SMiLE Brian, I’d bet the song that Mike and OSD would write together would be a hammy ‘Good Vibrations’ retread with Mike growling about pickin’ up bad vibrations from his writing partner and saying a prayer to Gita or something. By crackie, that sounds like a million and two seller.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 02:40:30 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2020, 02:52:03 PM »

Presumably no-one he works with can say, Mike, that's a really bad lyric, you need to come up with something better.

Maybe if they finally gets in a room together, Brian can tell him  Grin

He seems to have a formula in mind with this kind of song and tries to hit each part of that formula no matter how awkward it makes the lyric.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 02:53:40 PM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2020, 04:24:41 PM »

My husband pointed out that the "fun fun fun" part kind of sounds like the Sunrays' I Live for the Sun. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2020, 04:37:31 PM »

I really think Mike is fixated on appealing to the lowest common denominator audience. And he's consciously writing lyrics that even the least sophisticated folks in the deep cuts parts of the country could understand. It feels like that's his first priority, over everything else, which is his biggest mistake and what killed him as an artist. That literally seems like his modus operandi; write words that are so literal and on the nose, where there can be no ambiguity or misinterpretation in the listeners' minds.

Maybe this is his gross overreaction to "the crow cries uncover the cornfield", where Mike descended into songwriting craft that could be understood by a little kid. Or that could be written by a little kid. It's as if Mike despised "acid alliteration" soooooo very, very, very much, that he decided to evolve to we have today.

On the other hand, maybe it's just sucky and embarrassing because he's a completely out of touch guy who's been famous and rich way too long.

A friend of mine told me that he can't imagine if a parody version of this song were made how it would be any different from the song itself.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:49:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2020, 05:00:43 PM »

Mike needs to collaborate with OSD on his next song! Evil

Suggested title: Train Wreck  LOL
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:01:22 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2020, 05:20:22 PM »

I think after Endless Summer he got lazy in every way except actually touring. His vocals immediately declined around this time and seemed like he was intentionally trying to sound as nasal as possible. As far as his writing over the years he just got out of practice. I think he’s trying a bit but this is all he’s got left.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2020, 07:21:28 PM »

Mike needs to collaborate with OSD on his next song! Evil
Hey, SB, let's get him in a room with us and we'll show him what it's all about. You can produce and we'll sell a million units by February. Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The Foot Fetish Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2020, 08:28:11 PM »

Cheers to Mike for contributing to a great cause....Song-wise, maybe he should've co-wrote with Ringo Starr and maybe between them they could've come up with something that musically would be good enough for an 'unavailable on LP" B-side of a single that only came out in Portugal.

Nothin' but a foot fetish thang! (Thank you, Brittany Michelle)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2020, 08:44:07 PM »

There are two people I am aware of that really bring out the fury, the unmitigated hatred in people, because of their public actions. Mike Love is one; Pete Rose is the other. Maybe the two of them should get together.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2020, 09:15:34 PM »

I’m both a massive Beach Boys fan and baseball fan and Mike and Pete are difficult figures in both. Mike deserves to be lauded for some of his good work, but raked over the coals for so many things he’s said and done. Pete is one of the best players the game had ever seen, but his actions damaged his reputation beyond repair. In Beach Boys world, only Landy is more difficult. He saved Brian’s life, then went to work full time 24/7 to destroy it.

Edit: and Murry*. More than anybody.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 05:12:18 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2020, 01:29:45 AM »

This is the worst thing I have ever heard.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2020, 01:04:10 PM »

I'm sure that's the reaction Mike expects from a good percentage of BB's fans.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2020, 01:32:34 PM »

I'm sure that's the reaction Mike expects from a good percentage of BB's fans.
Anyone who would release garbage like this cannot be in possession of their marbles. Shocked
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 06:47:03 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2020, 01:56:54 PM »

What the hell, I’ll play devil’s advocate: what about ‘Smart Girls’, OSD? What about the more lamented tracks on Gettin’ In Over My Head? Was Brian losing his marbles when he wrote these? Mike hasn’t gone full dementia just because he recorded something (for charity) that is hazardous to listen to. Mike just doesn’t have the awesome capability that Brian has to bring a good song into being, and even a lot of those are labored. And even some of those don’t turn out all that good, as per my examples above. There’s a limit to hating on Mike, OSD, and you’re getting there quick.

I’m gonna go wash my hands, partly because, well, we all should, and partly because I just defended Mike “Let’s shoot harmless animals for fun with the president’s brain dead son” Love. Ick.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:58:58 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2020, 04:25:05 PM »

^ I agree

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2020, 04:35:57 PM »

What the hell, I’ll play devil’s advocate: what about ‘Smart Girls’, OSD? What about the more lamented tracks on Gettin’ In Over My Head? Was Brian losing his marbles when he wrote these? Mike hasn’t gone full dementia just because he recorded something (for charity) that is hazardous to listen to. Mike just doesn’t have the awesome capability that Brian has to bring a good song into being, and even a lot of those are labored. And even some of those don’t turn out all that good, as per my examples above. There’s a limit to hating on Mike, OSD, and you’re getting there quick.

I’m gonna go wash my hands, partly because, well, we all should, and partly because I just defended Mike “Let’s shoot harmless animals for fun with the president’s brain dead son” Love. Ick.

Didn't Brian write Smart Girls during just such a time, when he was not doing well mentally?

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »

Didn't Brian write Smart Girls during just such a time, when he was not doing well mentally?

Yes, but not dementia as OSD said. Maybe I should’ve said ‘Hey Little Tomboy’, a wretched song that has too many fans.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2020, 01:34:04 AM »

Good intentions notwithstanding, this is awful even by Mike Love solo standards.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2020, 10:17:00 AM »

Mike is at least consistent in his musical stylings, if wholly unremarkable.  This one sounds more or less like the other music he's put out in recent years.  Very clunky and forgettable.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2020, 03:05:26 PM »

One of the YouTube comments mentioned one of the first things I thought when the song started: It sounds like one of those pre-programmed songs on a portable Casio keyboard from the 80s.

It also kinda sounds like this:

https://youtu.be/sViR_2emIfs?t=146

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2020, 07:35:15 PM »

Honestly, most of Mike's music is not very good. There are some gems here and there, though.

Having said that, I do think its insane the amount of hate that he immediately receives for everything he puts out.

Mike, at his absolute best, has never been a Brian Wilson-level talent. I think sometimes people forget that.

And, even if he were, we can't expect top-tier material every time something gets released. For nostalgia reasons, I do love Gettin' In Over My Head, but comparatively, it is not a very good album. And, a real missed opportunity where Paul McCartney is concerned. For that matter, a lot of Paul McCartney's own music is a missed opportunity as far as Paul McCartney is concerned! Haha.

Its just meant to be a fun, harmless, pick-me-up charity single, nothing grand.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2020, 09:21:35 PM »

I can only speak for myself, but I don't hate ML.  Have never met the man. I've never met any of the Beach Boys. And though I've been to their concerts, I have no interest in meeting them for the same reason I'm not interested in boycotts or in worrying about whether the political preferences of the group's members align with my own.  I'm a huge fan of the music, not the personalities (though I suppose one could make argument that Brian Wilson's personality and his music are to some extent the same thing).  

In covid19 boredom, I recently read ML's autobiography.  I'll say, I enjoyed a lot of the book and found his perspective on BB history interesting (though unsurprisingly self-serving in places).  He offered a number of insights that I haven't read elsewhere, such as that his mother (Murry's sister) considered the most musically gifted person she ever met to be.... Audree Wilson.  Also, a lot of BB history was affected by (and can be explained by) the fact that Mike and Brian WERE very close as teens.  Mike even brought Brian as a guest on the Dorsey High senior trip to Catalina Island.

So, no, I don't hate ML.  This covid19 song, though?  Just  an embarrassingly bad effort, in my opinion.  I get the perspective that it's just a jokey little ditty cranked out in day or two, and not intended as high art but rather as nothing more than a fun, humorous diversion during a difficult time.  And that's fine.  It's not my kind of humor, though. And musically and lyrically, I found it a painful listen.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:23:24 PM by juggler » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2020, 03:05:48 AM »

Honestly, most of Mike's music is not very good. There are some gems here and there, though.

Having said that, I do think its insane the amount of hate that he immediately receives for everything he puts out.

Mike, at his absolute best, has never been a Brian Wilson-level talent. I think sometimes people forget that.

And, even if he were, we can't expect top-tier material every time something gets released. For nostalgia reasons, I do love Gettin' In Over My Head, but comparatively, it is not a very good album. And, a real missed opportunity where Paul McCartney is concerned. For that matter, a lot of Paul McCartney's own music is a missed opportunity as far as Paul McCartney is concerned! Haha.

I guess some people read too much into other persons' critique of this song. It is bad, plain and simple. I am not a famous musician, have not written a hit or have any of my music released, and certainly I'm not the best songwriter in the world. And I would be ashamed if I came up with this. The charity aspect is a nice idea, sure, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the song itself. If the song's release would cure aids, it still would be a terribly bad tune. Got nothing to do with who wrote it or why he/she wrote it.

GIOMH is actually a strong album from a songwriting perspective. The songs on it range from good to great. The problem with the album is Brian's lackluster performance on at least half of the songs. Take "Rainbow eyes" - what a beautiful song, completely destroyed by the vocals and production. "Make a wish" could've been a nice rocking tune, but here as well, Brian's wall-of-Brian-vocals are unimaginative and boring. Not all songs are masterpieces, "You've touched me", "A friend like you", "The waltz" are album filler material, but still have a certain amount of quality. But from the point songwriting this could be the most versatile album of his solo career and a very strong one. Performance and production make it unfortunately a "could-have-been". The strong cuts on here show some of the potential.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2020, 04:20:21 AM »

The issue isn’t that Mike is putting out music that isn’t up to Brian Wilson standards: it’s that Mike Love is putting out music that isn’t even up to HIS own supposed standards.

Mike Love had the nerve to childishly take jabs at Brian Wilson’s modern songwriting, while going on to record stuff like this. While Brian was publicly lambasted by Mike for the POSSIBILITY of using autotune, Mike went on to seemingly buy every autotune plug-in in existence, string them together like Christmas lights at the Griswold residence, and proceed to release songs that sound like they were mixed inside of a speak-and-spell.

If Mike really wants to raise some $$$ for charity, how about calling Brian up, record a song virtually with the rest of the group, and release it exclusively on iTunes?

All of that said, I’m happy that Mike is recording. While I don’t listen to his music, I give him credit for trying. I wish that Brian would get back into the studio with this much zeal.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2020, 06:23:02 AM »

I guess some people read too much into other persons' critique of this song. It is bad, plain and simple. I am not a famous musician, have not written a hit or have any of my music released, and certainly I'm not the best songwriter in the world. And I would be ashamed if I came up with this. The charity aspect is a nice idea, sure, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the song itself. If the song's release would cure aids, it still would be a terribly bad tune. Got nothing to do with who wrote it or why he/she wrote it.

I totally agree with you. Add to that my lamenting that Mike was once a good lyric writer but for the last few decades or more, his lyrics have been truly heinous.

GIOMH is actually a strong album from a songwriting perspective. The songs on it range from good to great. The problem with the album is Brian's lackluster performance on at least half of the songs. Take "Rainbow eyes" - what a beautiful song, completely destroyed by the vocals and production. "Make a wish" could've been a nice rocking tune, but here as well, Brian's wall-of-Brian-vocals are unimaginative and boring. Not all songs are masterpieces, "You've touched me", "A friend like you", "The waltz" are album filler material, but still have a certain amount of quality. But from the point songwriting this could be the most versatile album of his solo career and a very strong one. Performance and production make it unfortunately a "could-have-been". The strong cuts on here show some of the potential.

I was largely disappointed with GIOMH though I suspect part of that was it being released so close to the feverishly awaited and massively adored BWPS. There are things on it that I do like, but overall I found it undercooked. Add to that, a bit too many guest appearances, though not as bad as on NPP, which made it feel less like a solo Brian Wilson album.
I don’t know. It’s been a long time since I’ve sat down and listened to GIOMH. I ought to go back. I should stop expecting a TLOS (my favorite Brian solo album, and yes, even over BWPS. I feel more of the spirit of Brian today. It’s just beautiful) from him every time.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:27:22 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx