gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:51:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Love single  (Read 28826 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2020, 04:48:41 PM »

This too shall pass.....like a gallstone.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 05:01:58 PM »

Oh, dear, what cornball, cringe-inducing lyrics.  Roll Eyes

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2020, 06:24:01 PM »

That was exactly what I thought it be. Unfortunately, I had to shut it off...couldn't wait for it, too, to pass.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2020, 06:40:05 PM »

Having just read through all these replies I am saddened that all the ML and Trump haters can't get past their biases and support someone who has given us so much wonderful music for almost 60 years has done something good for the hungry in this troubled time. I bought his single on I-tunes to support this charity. Bash away!

I’m hating on the terrible song, which I just listened to finally (well, more accurately I got as far as I could without my ears bleeding). I did say that I was glad that Mike’s heart was in the right place and others have said similar things to that effect. But bad music is bad music. I’m not gonna bash you for supporting this, why would I? More power to you and to Mike. Shame he couldn’t deliver a decent tune.

Meanwhile, I loved watching the Honeys (well, Marylin and Ginger, I guess Diane is retired or something..?) sing California Feeling. They still got it!

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2020, 06:58:39 PM »

Why is anyone surprised this is the biggest pile of stinky $#it ever released, it's Mike Love. It's all he's capable of doing. Brian was, and is, the genius of the Beach Boys. I don't doubt he is using this time off to work on a freaking masterpiece that is going to blow us all away, and remind the world once again that Brian Wilson is a f****ing genius!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2020, 07:21:08 PM »

Mike Love has just released a new single called This Too Shall Pass

What a fun record! Produced by Scott Totten. Great energy. Nice 50's/60's rock feel. No audible autotune, Mike's voice sounds more natural than on UTL.

Have to admit, this is a very nice surprise. I'll be spinning the song a lot.

Yes, it kinda gives me some "student demonstration time" vibes with the hamfisted politically "conscious" lyrics, but musically the song is so fun and optimistic, it brought a smile to my face.

A new Mike Love single nearly 60 years The BB's first single. How cool.

Totten did a fantastic job with the production and arrangement. Mike's voice sounds great.

And god willing, "this too shall pass"!!

Love and Mercy everyone.

ESQ review : https://esquarterly.com/2020/05/01/mike-love-offers-this-too-shall-pass/?fbclid=IwAR2v-F4QhWU-zgz2BHrz-qGA2-DxM1avr4PO-SSXnkbpFZpuCzxWGE_Fhfg

Music video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8OVy33V_OI

Having just read through all these replies I am saddened that all the ML and Trump haters can't get past their biases and support someone who has given us so much wonderful music for almost 60 years has done something good for the hungry in this troubled time. I bought his single on I-tunes to support this charity. Bash away!

I bought it on iTunes as well.  I am a completist and buy everything, and I like that it supports the charity.  But I also take issue with a lot of bad lyrics, and not giving Totten credit for writing the music.  BTW, how many songs at this point has he name checked Fun, Fun, Fun in?  I count at least 3 which is 3 too many:

Brian's Back
Summer in Paradise
This Too Shall Pass
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2020, 07:51:38 PM »

"Beaches In Mind"
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2020, 08:49:27 PM »

"It's a Beautiful Day"
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2020, 09:01:38 PM »

this song kind of reminds me of a Ray Stevens song, a tongue and cheek comedy type song, with the lyrics purposely written this way at an attempt at humor. probably meant to not be taken serious and lighten the mood a little.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2020, 10:35:06 PM »

Can this not turn into a Mike love hate fest about how much Mike sucks.

The man is a genius, he's written words to some of the greatest songs of all time, he wrote most of the words on the wild honey record, don't forget these things.

Has he been weirdly caught in 1963 for the last 20 years? Yes, but he is a genius.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2020, 10:42:21 PM »

Yeah, "This too will pass" ...passed right by my attention. It's awful. Thank goodness Brian has passed on writing with you.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2020, 11:23:00 PM »

The lyrics are incredibly cheesy but the song itself isn't horrible, just generic poppy stuff.  I've heard much worse.  Not worth making a fuss about, in my opinion,  and I guess he was trying to do a nice thing.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2020, 11:23:33 PM »

It is what it is

Music to drink bleach by?  (Warning! Don't drink bleach!)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 11:24:43 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2020, 12:25:39 AM »

It's not magic but it's certainly agreeable enough for something whipped up in a few days at home. 
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2020, 03:39:34 AM »

This too shall pass.....like a gallstone.

BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2020, 04:43:41 AM »

Why is anyone surprised this is the biggest pile of stinky $#it ever released, it's Mike Love. It's all he's capable of doing. Brian was, and is, the genius of the Beach Boys. I don't doubt he is using this time off to work on a freaking masterpiece that is going to blow us all away, and remind the world once again that Brian Wilson is a f****ing genius!

Based on his recent track-record, I somehow doubt Brian is about to release a masterpiece. But who knows, maybe he is on the phone to Joe Thomas right now asking him if he has any of the old 90s riffs still in a briefcase that they haven't used yet.

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2020, 10:17:52 AM »

What instrument would Mike write on? Not aware of him ever playing any chordophones :-)
Must have been composed on the sax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flhaZZszgoc
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2020, 10:50:18 AM »

The man is a genius, he's written words to some of the greatest songs of all time, he wrote most of the words on the wild honey record, don't forget these things.

Has he been weirdly caught in 1963 for the last 20 years? Yes, but he is a genius.
Shocked Shocked  There's only one genius in the band and that's  period. Before you go pinning that label on Mike Love, I'd rank Carl a semi-genius and the closest to Brian's talents in general. Mike Love is the least talented member of the group as witnessed by his awful songwriting and no ability to play an instrument  well except for maybe a tamborine. As far as being a "front man" there is none worse or more embarrassing than Mike Love.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2020, 11:46:58 AM »

Shocked Shocked  There's only one genius in the band and that's  period. Before you go pinning that label on Mike Love, I'd rank Carl a semi-genius and the closest to Brian's talents in general. Mike Love is the least talented member of the group as witnessed by his awful songwriting and no ability to play an instrument  well except for maybe a tamborine. As far as being a "front man" there is none worse or more embarrassing than Mike Love.

Obviosuly Brian is on a different but I disagree with everything youre saying

"awful songwriting", hope can you serously say that

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2020, 11:56:54 AM »

I partially agree with OSD. Only Brian is the genius. People like to throw that word around too much. There’s talented, which Mike once was. Even Dennis, whose music was outstanding, I wouldn’t label as genius. They only come around rarely within a generation.
Now, Mike was pretty damn good at writing lyrics, once upon a time. He sure as sh*t hasn’t been a good lyricist since at least ‘Brian’s Back’ up until today with this odious new offering. Once, he wrote the words to one of my all-time favorite Beach Boys songs, ‘The Warmth of the Sun’. Damn good words too, an essential part of the immense beauty of the band’s best early tune. I wanna know what happened to that guy.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:57:51 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2020, 12:05:05 PM »

Mike peaked as a lyricist with "The Old Soldier."

Seriously ,though, having observed ML for decades and being familiar with his work, the man is clearly not stupid.  He's of above-average intelligence, is a good businessman and is indeed capable of occasionally penning non-asinine, even clever, lyrics.  

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that on some of the '60s hits for which ML is the credited lyricist, he often didn't write 100% of those lyrics.  Gary Usher once said that if Mike Love was in the house while a song was being written, he wanted credit.  Oftentimes, Brian already had a song title, a melody, a chorus and partial verse lyrics, and Mike helped flesh out the verses.  And he did a fine job at that.  But when we step back and look at all the truly great songs in the catalog, we see:
Brian Wilson / Mike Love
Brian Wilson / Gary Usher
Brian Wilson / Roger Christian
Brian Wilson / Tony Asher
Brian Wilson / Van Dyke Parks
Brian Wilson (alone)
etc.
Add to that:
Brian Wilson / Jan Berry (Surf City) and many others.

As Al Jardine told Rolling Stone a few years ago, "Brian is, let's face it, the golden goose of all time."
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2020, 01:44:51 PM »

Here's my take. I think the song is sh*t. I guess I'd say the only positive is that he's making the most of his voice with this kinda growly lead. He, like Brian and McCartney and Dylan and others doesn't have the voice he used to, but is making it work.

However, the lyrics....

I don't even know. For a while I've been searching for what it is about Mike's lyrics post-"Kokomo" and I couldn't figure out what it was. And I think it was yesterday after hearing this song that it finally hit me. Mike's lyrics are just very, very amateur. When I listento a lot of the stuff he has released from the '90s on, I just think of how a lot of those sound like if a fifth grader was tasked with an assignment in music class to make a song about achieving world peace ("Unleash the Love", "Make Love, Not War"), or environmentalism ("Summer In Paradise") or a historical figure from the '60s ("Pisces Brothers"). It's crazy, he knew George Harrison (though I don't think they were really friends), but the song reads as if all he knew of George was what he read on Wikipedia.

I really don't want to go there, but a "viral Super Bowl" is just mindblowingly bad. And you know what? Even though he's around 80, I think it's possible that Mike hasn't "lost it" as it concerns his writing abilities. I just really think his figurative "writing muscle" hasn't been worked out for so very long in a serious way, that when he tries something new you get slop like this. Perhaps its that most talented big players in the industry rightly or wrongly won't work with him, so he's stuck with what maybe would be a very rough first draft type lyric. Or maybe I'm wrong and that after, say 1974 (or maybe 1988) he just lost his mojo for writing either commercially or artistically pleasing lyrics.

Basically the real point of all this to me is that despite being the Beach Boy who has always been touted for his "professionalism" it's Brian and Al who put out the music that sounds like it was done by a professional, with Mike putting out stuff that sounds it was barfed out in an hour on GarageBand.

Cute. You're sticking up for Mike. I get it. And of course, we gotta stick it to Brian who is what, 77 years old? How dare he not be preparing new material to blow all our socks off! I love when my favorite artists put out new material, and I'm not one who thinks any of the guys will ruin the "legacy" by putting out garbage like this. However, it makes me embarrassed for them when people read articles on Mike and listen to stuff like this. In the big scheme of things is any of this important? No. And is the money going to a good cause? Yep, so that's great.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2020, 01:56:00 PM »

Tony Asher has said before (the liner notes of the Pet Sounds Sessions box set) that when he and Brian were writing together, the general tone of the song’s theme was largely his, and Tony would put it into words. I suspect it worked in a similar fashion with Mike. I still think that Mike was capable of writing a good lyric on his own, like ‘Big Sur’ for example. When Endless Summer came along and changed the direction of the group for good, I think Mike wanted to attempt to write lyrics that were of a piece with their early output, as in songs like ‘Kona Coast’, which essentially cannibalizes ‘Hawaii’. That’s where he started to go wrong, since often he wasn’t writing closely with Brian as once before. Or, you know, I could be way off.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2020, 02:07:12 PM »

Tony Asher has said before (the liner notes of the Pet Sounds Sessions box set) that when he and Brian were writing together, the general tone of the song’s theme was largely his, and Tony would put it into words. I suspect it worked in a similar fashion with Mike. I still think that Mike was capable of writing a good lyric on his own, like ‘Big Sur’ for example. When Endless Summer came along and changed the direction of the group for good, I think Mike wanted to attempt to write lyrics that were of a piece with their early output, as in songs like ‘Kona Coast’, which essentially cannibalizes ‘Hawaii’. That’s where he started to go wrong, since often he wasn’t writing closely with Brian as once before. Or, you know, I could be way off.

I get what you're saying Summer_Days, and I definitely think Mike's lyrics were more often that not getting worse as the '70s went on and into the present day. But I have to say, even something like "Kona Coast" (derivative as it was) or "Getcha Back" had a degree of professionalism to them. They sounded like a guy who had written some good, sturdy songs before. When I heard this new one or something like "Unleash the Love" it's jaw-dropping in how much it sounds like somebody's 50 year old uncle in 1993 writing "original" material for his bar band to record in a special weekend booking at a recording studio. And maybe even that is giving Mike too much credit.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2020, 02:34:02 PM »

Mike needs to collaborate with OSD on his next song! Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx