gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:37:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Love single  (Read 28844 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2020, 06:06:27 AM »

Mike Love has just released a new single called This Too Shall Pass

What a fun record! Produced by Scott Totten. Great energy. Nice 50's/60's rock feel. No audible autotune, Mike's voice sounds more natural than on UTL.

Have to admit, this is a very nice surprise. I'll be spinning the song a lot.

Yes, it kinda gives me some "student demonstration time" vibes with the hamfisted politically "conscious" lyrics, but musically the song is so fun and optimistic, it brought a smile to my face.

A new Mike Love single nearly 60 years The BB's first single. How cool.

Totten did a fantastic job with the production and arrangement. Mike's voice sounds great.

And god willing, "this too shall pass"!!

Love and Mercy everyone.

ESQ review : https://esquarterly.com/2020/05/01/mike-love-offers-this-too-shall-pass/?fbclid=IwAR2v-F4QhWU-zgz2BHrz-qGA2-DxM1avr4PO-SSXnkbpFZpuCzxWGE_Fhfg

Music video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8OVy33V_OI
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 06:16:06 AM by NateRuvin » Logged
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 06:30:01 AM »

Not the worst thing he's ever done, surprisingly strong lead for Mike, just wish the chorus wasn't "Fun Fun Fun, In the Sun"

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 06:33:36 AM »

"let's get back to having fun fun fun.... in the sun"

Don't f*** with the formula, boys

Thought the keyboard player in top left was Carl Wilson for a moment :D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 06:34:15 AM by UEF » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 06:45:56 AM »

At first I had an issue with the "Fun Fun Fun in the sun" line...

But it's been stuck in my head for hours since I heard the song, so I think that would make me a hypocrite at this point.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 07:29:27 AM »

I am beyond speechless by how bad this is. Does Mike really wonder why Brian didn't write more songs with him if this is what he comes up with? Or who wrote it? Well, I guess Mike meant it in a nice way... Did George Harrison at least get a writing credit for his melody in the chorus?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 08:08:32 AM »

I am beyond speechless by how bad this is. Does Mike really wonder why Brian didn't write more songs with him if this is what he comes up with? Or who wrote it? Well, I guess Mike meant it in a nice way... Did George Harrison at least get a writing credit for his melody in the chorus?
I thought it sounded similar 😂

But yeah, oh my god. This just made me appreciate Run James Run a thousand times more.

This Too Shall Pass sounds like something that would born if somebody held an 80 year old rockstar at gunpoint and said "write a new song".
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 08:09:42 AM »

Here are the credits for the recording, via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LikQHYbW43M. Somewhat amusing the actual credits don’t exactly match up with the miming in the music video. (Stamos is only there for the video, in particular.)

Vocals: Brian Eichenberger
Vocals: Christian Love
Saxophone: Randy Leago
Engineer: Scott Hull
Bass, Drums, Engineer, Guitar, Keyboards, Producer, Vocals: Scott Totten
Keyboards: Tim Bonhomme
Engineer: Tom Gordon
Additional  Production: Tom Gordon
Composer: Mike Love

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 08:49:28 AM »

What instrument would Mike write on? Not aware of him ever playing any chordophones :-)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 09:19:33 AM »

Great cause...….BAAAAADDDDDDDD song, and not in a good way.
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 09:26:57 AM »

Its not terrible.
But the self references really need to stop.
Also, not to make this political, but its amusing to see Mike mention masks and no more handshakes, when his buddies in the white house can’t seem to remember those things.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 09:28:04 AM »

I really wish I could get on board with this, but I just can't. Today we'll hit 236,000 coronavirus deaths worldwide. We're not yet ready to have fun, fun, fun in the sun. The families of the dead are especially not ready. Also, while I commend some of the lyrics, such as when he suggests that we do what the doctors say, I could do with out the jingoistic "God bless America, that's how we roll." Yes, we have suffered more deaths than any other nation, but this is truly a pandemic. No nation has escaped it.

Let's not get back to having fun, fun, fun in the sun just yet. Not until the experts tell us it's safe.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 09:36:12 AM »

What instrument would Mike write on? Not aware of him ever playing any chordophones :-)

He does play a little guitar, I believe.  There's a video of him with an acoustic playing one of his solo songs(from UTL?), but I can't remember which one.

EDIT: Just listened.  I know he means well, but this wasn't that good (at least lyrically).  The music is all right but it sounds like a pale imitation of a rocker than a real one.  Enjoyed Scott Totten's slide guitar work though, it'd be nice to see him do more of that with Mike's band.  Did he play any slide during the reunion tour?  This is the first time I've seen him do that.  But as much as the "Fun, Fun, Fun" reference is stupid, the damn thing is stuck in my head.

SECOND EDIT: The comments are turned off.  LOL
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:42:25 AM by All Summer Long » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 10:09:25 AM »

It seems the music video is a differenet mix - at the very least the "Fun, fun, fun in the sun" backing vocals are more prominent.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 10:22:36 AM »

Here's a safer link to the ESQ review with Facebook's tracking removed (everything from the question mark onward):

https://esquarterly.com/2020/05/01/mike-love-offers-this-too-shall-pass/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:23:24 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 10:34:38 AM »

It is what it is

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 10:40:12 AM »

Here's a safer link to the ESQ review with Facebook's tracking removed (everything from the question mark onward):

Sounds to me like Mike wrote the words and Scott wrote the music, but Mike is credited as the only writer on it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 11:34:08 AM »

One has to let this stuff soak in for awhile, so it's too soon to say for sure, but this may reach the pantheon of the collection of most embarrassing pieces the man has ever written. It's literally as if someone got stoned and said "hey, let's imagine if Mike Love wrote a super generic, full of musical cliches song with the most ham-fisted lyrics imaginable about a global pandemic, oh, and also, let's make it sound like Adrian Baker produced it in 1983", only Mike Love beat them to it.

"It's like a viral super bowl".......

And yes, of course, one can't fault the cause. But really, they should be digging into the vaults and releasing the THOUSAND HOURS of quality material and selling *that* for charity.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:43:05 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »

One has to let this stuff soak in for awhile, so it's too soon to say for sure, but this may reach the pantheon of the collection of most embarrassing pieces the man has every written. It's literally as if someone got stoned and said "hey, let's imagine if Mike Love wrote a super generic, full of musical cliches song with the ham-fisted lyrics imaginable about a global pandemic, oh, and also, let's make it sound like Adrian Baker produced it in 1983", only Mike Love beat them to it.

And yes, of course, one can't fault the cause. But really, they should be digging into the vaults and releasing the THOUSAND HOURS of quality material and selling *that* for charity.

You hit the nail on the head, HJ.

I will give Mike credit for three things:

-The song's meaning is well intended

-He seemingly lyrically actually isn't falling in line with his imbecile buddy Trump

-The quality of his voice is most definitely better/stronger than expected, and brings into question why on earth the man drenches his vocals in Autotune on other studio recordings. He doesn't sound almost 80. Perhaps having given his voice a rest from touring for a couple of months is the reason why he sounds better here?

Everything else about the song is unbelievably embarrassing. The lyrics are soooooo cheesy and awful, this song will probably wind up in the legendary realm of Smart Girls and Wrinkles. And yeah, he ripped off his Pisces Brother, George Harrison, too.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:09:42 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 01:15:24 PM »

Sounds to me like Mike wrote the words and Scott wrote the music, but Mike is credited as the only writer on it.

There's a lawsuit for a couple decades time then
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 01:26:39 PM »

This ridiculous song too shall surely pass into obscurity without raking in enough royalties to be given to Covid-19 relief efforts. What a frail, pathetic and embarrassing method to raise money. I Mike Love seriously wants to help de-tarnish his dismal reputation, I challenge this piker to cut out just one of his many millions and donate that but don't hold your breath for anything close to that to happen.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »

Hasn’t the world suffered enough?
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »

One has to let this stuff soak in for awhile, so it's too soon to say for sure, but this may reach the pantheon of the collection of most embarrassing pieces the man has ever written. It's literally as if someone got stoned and said "hey, let's imagine if Mike Love wrote a super generic, full of musical cliches song with the most ham-fisted lyrics imaginable about a global pandemic, oh, and also, let's make it sound like Adrian Baker produced it in 1983", only Mike Love beat them to it.

But is it worse than Paul McCartney's Freedom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpOwePJdzO0
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 02:24:58 PM »

But is it worse than Paul McCartney's Freedom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpOwePJdzO0

Yes, it's worse. McCartney's track was well-intentioned, but completely ignorant as to how it would/could be used in the US political/social climate. But he actually later went to express some level of regret for the song, and it was dropped by the following year.

McCartney's song may have had a more conceptually damaging message (albeit one that required some stretching) than Mike's track. But McCartney's song was at least a decent song with a (frustratingly!) great late-era McCartney lead. The song is kind repugnant, but his voice sounds great on it.

Mike's is just really, really bad song craft. And it takes pretty mediocre craft to be worse than "Freedom."

Mike's lyrics aren't damaging per se, they just show a completely odd (and quite Love-esque, a la "Student Demonstration Time") way of tackling a serious subject as if the lyrics were written by a third grader.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 02:38:15 PM »

Is that seriously a lyric? Seriously?? UGH. I’m glad I decided to refrain from listening to this. Talk about a virus I’d do anything not to catch. Listen Mike, I’m glad your heart was in the right place, really. But where your head is at, who the hell knows where.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 02:41:33 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
DisneySpirit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2020, 03:44:17 PM »

Mike Love has just released a new single called This Too Shall Pass

What a fun record! Produced by Scott Totten. Great energy. Nice 50's/60's rock feel. No audible autotune, Mike's voice sounds more natural than on UTL.

Have to admit, this is a very nice surprise. I'll be spinning the song a lot.

Yes, it kinda gives me some "student demonstration time" vibes with the hamfisted politically "conscious" lyrics, but musically the song is so fun and optimistic, it brought a smile to my face.

A new Mike Love single nearly 60 years The BB's first single. How cool.

Totten did a fantastic job with the production and arrangement. Mike's voice sounds great.

And god willing, "this too shall pass"!!

Love and Mercy everyone.

ESQ review : https://esquarterly.com/2020/05/01/mike-love-offers-this-too-shall-pass/?fbclid=IwAR2v-F4QhWU-zgz2BHrz-qGA2-DxM1avr4PO-SSXnkbpFZpuCzxWGE_Fhfg

Music video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8OVy33V_OI

Having just read through all these replies I am saddened that all the ML and Trump haters can't get past their biases and support someone who has given us so much wonderful music for almost 60 years has done something good for the hungry in this troubled time. I bought his single on I-tunes to support this charity. Bash away!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx