gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:38:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Van Dyke Parks announces Orange Crate Art reissue with bonus tracks!  (Read 11702 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 11:36:08 PM »

I’ll never forget my wife’s reaction when we listened to OCA together. “So you meant to tell me the b*tch’s name is Jeannie Apples?” LOL. Completely ruined the song for me

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2020, 02:44:17 AM »

Some fans have complained that Brian's vocals were "shouty" on this album. I don't know what they're talking about. I think his vocal are amazing on  this album - I'm not talking just lead vocals, but those harmonies. And those harmony stacks scream out to be BRIAN WILSON.

Though I guess I understand what they mean by "shouty" (Brian's voice during that era was kinda strange - maybe too much smoking?), I think whatever it is, he uses his voice to great effect on OCA. The soundtrack to IJWMFTT is a little harder for me to listen to, but that may be because the Beach Boys versions of those songs are just so good. But his singing on OCA is very inspired and as I mentioned before even soulful. He's not just singing the melodies, he's actually phrasing words around etc. And his sound at that time definitely fits with the songs. Just listen to the outro in "sAIIlll awaayyyy" and the wordless part in "Summer in Monterey". All in all, I love Brian's work on the leads but also on the backgrounds (where he got help by Danny Hutton and others on a couple of tracks). Plus I think this may be the last album we got with a full, though worn falsetto by Brian. Not that he didn't sing those high parts on "Imagination" but he sounds more smooth there, not as in-your-face. That could also come from the medical treatment he got, but also the shock of Carl's death.
And again, the feeling and joy he puts into his singing was only heard again starting with "That lucky old sun" imo, even BWPS wasn't THAT good. But others may disagree, which is their prerogative.
Great album and definitely worth a re-release.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2020, 06:40:11 AM »

‘Sail Away’ is flat out my favorite song on OCA. “At perfect coast in harmony, we’ll raise a toast to what’s still left of my memory” is one of my favorite Van Dyke lyrics, I’d take it over even some of his SMiLE lyrics. You heard me. Not ‘Surf’s Up’ though, his best ever work. You’d never know it, but buddy  I’m a kind of poet, and I marvel at his deft hand at wordplay.

@Rocker, about the IJWMFTT soundtrack, I’m sure you’d agree that it’s a shame the CD didn’t include the performance of ‘Orange Crate Art’ with just Van Dyke on piano in the film. Delightful as all hell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OiykTknz51U
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 06:51:20 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2020, 09:45:27 AM »

@Rocker, about the IJWMFTT soundtrack, I’m sure you’d agree that it’s a shame the CD didn’t include the performance of ‘Orange Crate Art’ with just Van Dyke on piano in the film. Delightful as all hell.

There’s also a version of “God Only Knows” in the film with just Brian on piano and Carl singing that I wish had been on the soundtrack, really beautiful. https://youtu.be/iHXAkq10D8g
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 09:47:18 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2020, 10:06:12 AM »

There’s also a version of “God Only Knows” in the film with just Brian on piano and Carl singing that I wish had been on the soundtrack, really beautiful. https://youtu.be/iHXAkq10D8g

Didn't Audree, Carl and Brian also sing "In my room" during that interview? I haven't wathced the film in a long time. I'd rather see some outtakes from that "session" than having the performance of GOK or OCA on the soundtrack. Not everything must be used just because it exists. But to see Brian, Carl and Audree singing around the piano and their interaction may be interesting.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2020, 12:04:39 PM »

I agree with you . I do think it kinda goes off the rails after San Francisco but that was more due to the songwriting imho. First half though was great
Hold Back Time is slightly ruined by out of sync vocals; My Jeanine is the only song I don't absolutely love. I don't skip it when I play the album, but it's the only song I don't go back for.
My Jeanine is my favorite on the album ... Smiley

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »

I agree with you . I do think it kinda goes off the rails after San Francisco but that was more due to the songwriting imho. First half though was great
Hold Back Time is slightly ruined by out of sync vocals; My Jeanine is the only song I don't absolutely love. I don't skip it when I play the album, but it's the only song I don't go back for.
My Jeanine is my favorite on the album ... Smiley

I like the way he sings the title but the verse melody drags a bit imho

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2020, 01:01:40 PM »

Some fans have complained that Brian's vocals were "shouty" on this album. I don't know what they're talking about. I think his vocal are amazing on  this album - I'm not talking just lead vocals, but those harmonies. And those harmony stacks scream out to be BRIAN WILSON.

Though I guess I understand what they mean by "shouty" (Brian's voice during that era was kinda strange - maybe too much smoking?), I think whatever it is, he uses his voice to great effect on OCA. The soundtrack to IJWMFTT is a little harder for me to listen to, but that may be because the Beach Boys versions of those songs are just so good. But his singing on OCA is very inspired and as I mentioned before even soulful. He's not just singing the melodies, he's actually phrasing words around etc. And his sound at that time definitely fits with the songs. Just listen to the outro in "sAIIlll awaayyyy" and the wordless part in "Summer in Monterey". All in all, I love Brian's work on the leads but also on the backgrounds (where he got help by Danny Hutton and others on a couple of tracks). Plus I think this may be the last album we got with a full, though worn falsetto by Brian. Not that he didn't sing those high parts on "Imagination" but he sounds more smooth there, not as in-your-face. That could also come from the medical treatment he got, but also the shock of Carl's death.
And again, the feeling and joy he puts into his singing was only heard again starting with "That lucky old sun" imo, even BWPS wasn't THAT good. But others may disagree, which is their prerogative.
I just want to say I agree with everything in this post.
Why don't we have a 'like' button on this board? A lot of times I see a post I agree with, but I don't have anything to add to what was said, so I just move on to the next one.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2020, 06:19:45 PM »

Why don't we have a 'like' button on this board? A lot of times I see a post I agree with, but I don't have anything to add to what was said, so I just move on to the next one.

I would also love a “like” button.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2020, 02:46:56 AM »

Thank you, I appreciate that!

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2020, 12:26:25 PM »

Count me in as a huge fan of this album. This is my second-favorite Brian solo project after BW88. It's one of the few times when he moved away from the Beach Boys' mid-60s formula as a solo artist and did something entirely different. His voice does sound strained here and there but I don't mind at all. Beautiful cover art and overall design too. Happy to see "What a Wonderful World" getting an official release now, very moving rendition. Just an all-around amazing project for Brian and VDP!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2020, 01:47:51 PM »

Oh man. I had forgotten about that, it's been many years since I've seen the film.

Thank you for reminding me. That is utterly beautiful and that totally needs to be released in its entirety.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2020, 02:59:03 PM »

I have to say I like that this board doesn't have a "like" function. It doesn't add anything, and really these boards are about engagement and discussion, not each person individually needing feedback. That's for, well, just about every other social media outlet.

If one digs a post here, a response post with "right on!" or whatever is fine. I'd always encourage people to actually participate in the discussions, but that's obviously not something everyone can or wants to do, or should have to.

But this place is a pretty big rarity these days, one of the last places to talk BBs that isn't on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram or YouTube.

Not to derail the thread.

Back to OCA; I'm quite interested to hear the long-reported OCA version of "Rhapsody in Blue." I feel by the time he did on the Gershwin album, his voice had deteriorated more, and it sounded a bit sloppy and too reverb-laden. The OCA just *might* be better.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2020, 10:25:13 AM »

I've preordered my vinyl copy directly from Omnivore Recordings. Looking forward to seeing the finished packaging! Nice get some good news these days.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »

Right on, HeyJude! Message boards like this are my social media of preference, because you can hold a discussion on a single topic without it getting buried in the mix.

As for OCA, I'm not much of a fan, but will probably get the new release for completist reasons.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2020, 06:35:28 AM »

Pre-ordered this today.  It would be cool if there were demos of the songs performed by Van Dyke, or demos similar to the OCA performance in the IJWMFTT movie.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2020, 10:15:34 AM »

Brian Wilson, Van Dyke Parks Set To Release ‘Orange Crate Art’

Today American Songwriter is grateful to premiere this newly created video for one of the album’s main highlights, their beautiful, spare version of Louis Armstrong’s “What A Wonderful World” that’s touchingly augmented by still photos of signs showing support for those on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic. If the combination of these images and Wilson’s angelic harmonies in balance with Parks’ tender electric piano progression in the background doesn’t fill your heart with emotion, nothing will.

https://americansongwriter.com/brian-wilson-van-dyke-parks-set-to-release-orange-crate-art/?fbclid=IwAR0rDliTIYuJ0AOK14Lr25dyOkZ947kDXwgovjU4XKr4N6jgEAmrhzSnnSc
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 10:22:43 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2020, 11:29:17 AM »

Is Rhapsody  In Blue the same recording of Brian that's been booted?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2020, 01:00:52 PM »

What has been booted?  Is it available on youtube or anywhere?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2020, 02:08:02 PM »

I don't think anything to do with the OCA version of "Rhapsody in Blue" has ever surfaced. There's of course the much later Brian version from the Gershwin album, and I think he played some of it on piano at one of those circa 1991 Landy-era gigs.

But the only outtake from the actual OCA sessions to ever surface was the murky "What A Wonderful World."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2020, 12:26:51 PM »

I haven't seen these "new" Brian performances linked to yet. So, here you go:

Rhapsody In Blue - Brian Wilson & Van Dyke Parks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elbhuuiS6Us

Our Love Is Here To Stay - Brian Wilson & Van Dyke Parks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP60aoAOpu8

- Jack Rieley
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2020, 06:55:34 PM »

Omnivore will be releasing the instrumental version of OCA as a standalone vinyl album for Record Store Day Black Friday. Here’s the “trailer” for their Black Friday releases: https://youtu.be/GiaYANc8roE

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2020, 10:04:24 AM »

The completist in me want this RSD release, but I can't say I'm all that excited for it. I got the 2LP release earlier this year, and I'm trying to tell myself that's enough for me.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2020, 11:47:03 AM »

who arranged the Gershwin tunes?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx