gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:37:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Love you" hasn't been remastered in 20 years.  (Read 7465 times)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 09:11:05 AM »

Every album that was originally put out in mono, I prefer in mono, meaning everything up until Friends. Brian’s more complex arrangements on Today, Summer Days, Pet Sounds, ‘Good Vibrations’ and Smile in particular are  a must in mono to me. So too with the pared down, home made goodness of Smiley Smile and Wild Honey. I really don’t like the clean feel of the stereo remix of Wild Honey. Take some of the soul away.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 12:24:47 PM »

Every album that was originally put out in mono, I prefer in mono, meaning everything up until Friends. Brian’s more complex arrangements on Today, Summer Days, Pet Sounds, ‘Good Vibrations’ and Smile in particular are  a must in mono to me. So too with the pared down, home made goodness of Smiley Smile and Wild Honey. I really don’t like the clean feel of the stereo remix of Wild Honey. Take some of the soul away.
Its all personal taste. Personally I like the stereo mixes, with some exceptions.
Obviously Smiley Smile I’ll take mono any day.
Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down, Vol. 2, and All Summer Long all need refreshed stereo mixes.
SDV2 needs to be updated with the 2009 mix of Don't Worry Baby, the 2012 mix of The Warmth of the Sun, the 2013 mix of Why Do Fools Fall In Love, and the 2014 mix of Pom Pom Play Girl.
ASL needs the 2007 mix of All Summer Long, and a new mix for Hushabye.
As for Wild Honey, I love the stereo mix. You can here so much detail thats buried in the mono. Also, Wild Honey was not thrown together like SS, there is extreme attention to detail. Every sound is meant to be heard, the reason the mono mix sounds gritty is clearly just because of limits to 1967 home studio technology.
Also, Friends needs a complete remix
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 01:42:54 PM »

I don’t mind the reissues of Surfin’ Safari through the Christmas Album being in stereo. Today through Wild Honey just sounds better in mono. I’m glad many like the stereo remixes though.

As for Friends, I would agree about the need for a stereo remix.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 05:27:18 PM »

I should probably clarify...I prefer it in mono, just pointing out that hearing it in stereo revealed that there was more creativity in the production than I imagine many thought was there when it first came out. I’ve always considered it more stripped down rather than underproduced. Hope that made some sense.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2020, 08:45:36 PM »

does anyone think that the song "rock 'n' roll music" was a hit, in part because of the fuzzy MOOG sound?

While obviously the "love you" album wasn't a hit despite having that sound all over it, the songs were probably just too weird and there was no record company support. But one year earlier, not only was "rock 'n' roll music" a famous cover and the bicentennial during a patriotic time, but I suspect the slightly modern twist that BW gave to it could be what helped the song become a hit.

On the other hand, it's also possible that it became a hit in spite of that sound. What does everyone think?

I'm pretty sure there are more factors than just one for RNRM becoming the big hit. First, there was a lot of promotion, namely the Brian's back campaign. Everyone was eager to hear new Brian produced BBs material. Second, the song is a beloved and great Chuck Berry tune. Third, the single version is a cool, rocking track. Looking at what would shortly after that happen in terms of punk, this record is actually quite a relevant record, although being an oldie by a group that already existed 15 years at this point.
But in the end, just a great and fun record! Forget the album version, though
I do have a copy of the 45 and the album, but I can't detect a difference. Please explain.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2020, 02:59:40 AM »

does anyone think that the song "rock 'n' roll music" was a hit, in part because of the fuzzy MOOG sound?

While obviously the "love you" album wasn't a hit despite having that sound all over it, the songs were probably just too weird and there was no record company support. But one year earlier, not only was "rock 'n' roll music" a famous cover and the bicentennial during a patriotic time, but I suspect the slightly modern twist that BW gave to it could be what helped the song become a hit.

On the other hand, it's also possible that it became a hit in spite of that sound. What does everyone think?

I'm pretty sure there are more factors than just one for RNRM becoming the big hit. First, there was a lot of promotion, namely the Brian's back campaign. Everyone was eager to hear new Brian produced BBs material. Second, the song is a beloved and great Chuck Berry tune. Third, the single version is a cool, rocking track. Looking at what would shortly after that happen in terms of punk, this record is actually quite a relevant record, although being an oldie by a group that already existed 15 years at this point.
But in the end, just a great and fun record! Forget the album version, though
I do have a copy of the 45 and the album, but I can't detect a difference. Please explain.

The single uses a very different mix, the instruments are much more punchy and louder and IIRC even some vocals are missing that are on the album version.

Album version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzyLAfOGc4U

Single version: https://youtu.be/9LCEmLw81HQ?t=20

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2020, 06:19:12 AM »

I can’t hear that big of a difference between the two, but that might partially be because I’ve never cared much at all about the band’s version of ‘Rock And Roll Music’, with it’s obnoxious nasally vocal from Mike and the ham fisted arrangement. Now, this is where a lot of Love You haters (probably Lonely Summer...hi Lonely!) come in and point out my apparent hypocrisy because the production aesthetic is essentially the same on both LY and 15 Big Ones (often abbreviated as 15BO, which has led me to nickname it 15 Body Odor, like that’s the level at which the record stinks. On the same scale, SIP would be something like 1000 BO. ANYWAY...). I would argue that Brian as a producer, arranger and writer was more engaged and enthused making Love You, it shows in the music, which is incredibly delightful, or as Brian’s shirt from the period said, Love You is

Sorry, what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, ‘Rock And Roll Music’. It’s forgettable, as my above rant made abundantly clear.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 06:21:29 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2020, 11:36:34 AM »

On the topic of "love you", how did solar system make the MIC box set over the likes of honkin' or roller skating child.

Solar system is easily my second least favourite song on the record

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2020, 12:55:33 PM »

Perfect time for me to say this...Shady, every time i think of love you I think of your signature LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2020, 01:49:59 PM »

LOL

Still one of the weirdest facts I have read on this board  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2020, 02:04:16 PM »

Sir, there is no limit to the amount of weird facts about our favorite band. I’m sure if the band had ever released Adult/Child, the LP would have included a training bra that you’d have to unfasten just to pull the record out of the sleeve.

The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2020, 03:15:27 PM »

Sir, there is no limit to the amount of weird facts about our favorite band. I’m sure if the band had ever released Adult/Child, the LP would have included a training bra that you’d have to unfasten just to pull the record out of the sleeve.
I’m assuming this is the same bra that they supplied the little Tomboy with?
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2020, 06:28:03 PM »

LOL

Still one of the weirdest facts I have read on this board  LOL

That wasn’t a joke???
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2020, 07:27:32 PM »

If someone finds a picture of The Beach Boys Love You condom (not likely), please with all haste post it here. I just Googled it and now I hate having that in my search history.

I sincerely hope that the packaging, if any, included a line from one of the album's tracks as a promotional motto or something. You know, like "We'll make sweet love till the sun goes down, we'll even do more when you're mama's not around". With fine print warning against unprotected underage sex.

Ahem. I have way too much time and weird stray thoughts on my hands, as do we all.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2020, 09:37:43 AM »

Said it before, will always say it:

The Beach Boys Love You is Brian at his most honest and straightforward. If there's ever one single source that will tell you all you need to know about him, it's that album.

Yeah it's certainly his most convoluted and polarizing album.  The production is horrible, yet at the same time perfectly fits and enhances the material on that album.   Shrug
What exactly makes the production “horrible?”
Its synthesizers, gated reverb and keyboards.
Compared to some other albums in the 70s and 80s, its produced and mixed very well.
All the vocals come through clear unlike parts of surfs up, it’s not mixed horribly like So Tough, it doesn’t sound cheap like KTSA, and it’s extremely warm unlike parts of BB85 and SIP

I'll put it this way: how would an album like Pet Sounds be received if Brian had used all those cheesy "farting" synthesizers to record it?

So prototype Moogs are cheesy? There's a reason they're still used heavily in the indie rock world and still sell well starting at $800+. Hell, there's even a music festival named after the synth/man that invented it.

No, Moogs in general are not cheesy.  But they certainly sound cheesy in the context of this album specifically.

If he had released an album like that in 1966 he’d be even more of a pioneer than he already was!

Besides some of us like the production Sad

Yeah, I tend to doubt Pet Sounds would have received nearly the acclaim it did if Brian had applied the Love You sound to it.  It just doesn't fit the mood.  And as I had stated in my original comment, I think the production totally enhances the quirky charm of Love You.  But objectively speaking, there is a reason this album is polarizing to fans.  You really have to "get" Brian and where his head was at during this time to appreciate the hidden brilliance going on here.  With the clunky, lo-fi production and odd, childish and banal lyrics to most of the songs, this is not an entry-level album I would introduce to folks curious about the band.  Unless of course they happened to be huge fans of the band They Might Be Giants.   LOL

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:38:35 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx