gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:04:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Love you" hasn't been remastered in 20 years.  (Read 7406 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2020, 06:33:00 PM »

That is a crime

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 09:22:33 PM »

The 2000 CD remaster sounds great.  Doesn't need remastering. A deluxe set with a couple discs of alternates and outtakes? Sure.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 09:30:28 PM »

I agree that the LP and CD masters are pretty good sounding.  I recall hearing a few remixes of 15 Big Ones back when I was in Beach Boys Land that really did enhance the material, but Love You is a really nicely engineered record.

Shady, what issues do you have with the existing masters?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 09:44:30 PM »

I agree that the LP and CD masters are pretty good sounding.  I recall hearing a few remixes of 15 Big Ones back when I was in Beach Boys Land that really did enhance the material, but Love You is a really nicely engineered record.

I am drooling when I think about the cool goodies that could be buried in the backing tracks of 15BO. I have a distinct feeling there are some real undiscovered gems on that album if some backing track only versions were released, or other assorted remixes.

It's flawed but there are definitely some great things in there. I think something like that with new mixes would be a revelation.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 09:45:41 PM »

I

I don't have any issues to be honest, it does sound great. I should have been specific, I was thinking more of the fact it hasn't been touched in 20 years.

What really prompted me to make this topic was the fact I was listening to "love you" just today and it hit me, this is a classic record and deserves exactly what hey jude said a deluxe set which obviously would include a remaster, Mark Linett and his team could do a lot with it.

I really take issue with capitols handling of the beach boys later day catalogue. Think of Dylan, the stones,, the beatles, every album gets the royal treatment.

"love you" needs an update and I would love to see it while all the band is still around.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »

The album (along with all their other albums) were remastered a few years ago for both high resolution and vinyl:

https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=Beach+Boys+Love+You

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 04:50:23 PM »

I can't see Capitol making The Beach Boys Love You a high priority for remastering. Right now, we are waiting for a box set containing material from the Sunflower/Surf's Up era.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 07:25:01 AM »

Said it before, will always say it:

The Beach Boys Love You is Brian at his most honest and straightforward. If there's ever one single source that will tell you all you need to know about him, it's that album.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 12:14:17 PM »

The Beach Boys Love You is Brian at his most honest and straightforward. If there's ever one single source that will tell you all you need to know about him, it's that album.

Yeah it's certainly his most convoluted and polarizing album.  The production is horrible, yet at the same time perfectly fits and enhances the material on that album.   Shrug

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 12:49:22 PM »

I personally would love to have a stab at remixing 15 BO and LY. Just saying:lol

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 01:22:00 PM »

Yeah it's certainly his most convoluted and polarizing album.  The production is horrible, yet at the same time perfectly fits and enhances the material on that album.   Shrug
What exactly makes the production “horrible?”
Its synthesizers, gated reverb and keyboards.
Compared to some other albums in the 70s and 80s, its produced and mixed very well.
All the vocals come through clear unlike parts of surfs up, it’s not mixed horribly like So Tough, it doesn’t sound cheap like KTSA, and it’s extremely warm unlike parts of BB85 and SIP
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »

Yeah it's certainly his most convoluted and polarizing album.  The production is horrible, yet at the same time perfectly fits and enhances the material on that album.   Shrug
Compared to some other albums in the 70s and 80s, its produced and mixed very well.
All the vocals come through clear unlike parts of surfs up, it’s not mixed horribly like So Tough, it doesn’t sound cheap like KTSA, and it’s extremely warm unlike parts of BB85 and SIP

I'll put it this way: how would an album like Pet Sounds be received if Brian had used all those cheesy "farting" synthesizers to record it?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 03:09:33 PM by Awesoman » Logged

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 04:14:39 PM »

I'm beginning to not like remasters at all. The more I listen to them, the more sterile they sound compared to the originals (even if there is some additional clarity). So I'm not sure why one would need to remaster something at all, let alone every 20 years.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 06:24:13 PM »

Then I guess I don't like him very much.
For starters: Brian, couldn't you coax better vocals out of your brothers, especially Carl?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 09:32:31 PM »

Carl was going through a lot of sh*t at the time. I actually hated this period of his voice.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 09:34:47 PM »

Yeah it's certainly his most convoluted and polarizing album.  The production is horrible, yet at the same time perfectly fits and enhances the material on that album.   Shrug

I'll put it this way: how would an album like Pet Sounds be received if Brian had used all those cheesy "farting" synthesizers to record it?

If he had released an album like that in 1966 he’d be even more of a pioneer than he already was!

Besides some of us like the production Sad

Listening to both 15 Big Ones and Love Ypu on good quality headphones shows to me there were some killer tracks in some cases marred by some poor song choices and backup vocals on the former and in truth both albums could benefit from a remix IMHO. Except Let Us Go On This Way, which was a complete beast of proto new wave. If only Mike had sang better on the bridge...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:34:48 AM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 08:17:33 AM »

So prototype Moogs are cheesy? There's a reason they're still used heavily in the indie rock world and still sell well starting at $800+. Hell, there's even a music festival named after the synth/man that invented it.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 09:44:55 AM »

You would be surprised, but some people actually criticize Pet Sounds for over orchestration. They say that the orchestra’s make the songs overwhelmingly sappy and overimportant.
Now obviously I disagree with those people, but any production can be disliked. It doesn’t make the production horrible though.
I’m not a big MIU fan, but even I can tell that its well produced. I just don’t particularly enjoy the production choices.
Likewise, I love Smiley Smile, even though most people would describe it as underproduced, which it is. Smiley Smile does have horrible production. But that doesn’t make it a bad album. Production doesn’t always equal quality.
I can sit and tweak a songs production until that song is so clean that you can’t hear one little mistake, but the song might still suck.
Or, I could record a song in 5 minutes, pay no mind to the production, and it could be amazing.
Now obviously a well produced song is better on the ears. But as I said, production and quality don’t always go hand in hand
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 12:30:03 PM »

I wouldn’t say Smiley Smile is underproduced so much, as that was the aesthetic Brian was going for. Hearing the backing tracks and works in progress in stereo was a revelation.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 01:04:39 PM »

does anyone think that the song "rock 'n' roll music" was a hit, in part because of the fuzzy MOOG sound?

While obviously the "love you" album wasn't a hit despite having that sound all over it, the songs were probably just too weird and there was no record company support. But one year earlier, not only was "rock 'n' roll music" a famous cover and the bicentennial during a patriotic time, but I suspect the slightly modern twist that BW gave to it could be what helped the song become a hit.

On the other hand, it's also possible that it became a hit in spite of that sound. What does everyone think?
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 06:46:20 PM »

Actually, the gated reverb on the drums presaged the pop music of the ‘80s.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 09:15:25 PM »

I would like to see a Brians Back Era cd set, 3 cds remixed, first disc would be 15 BOs with the songs originally recorded for it but were left off as bonus songs, and demos and alt takes. disc 2 with Love You and as bonus tracks all the tracks done as Stack O Tracks and disc 3 more demos,early Love You mixes, single mixes, and Adult Child. but please don't wait for 2027 for an anniversary release , this one should be released within the next couple years, should be an ACTUAL cd, and not just a download only release. HINT HINT!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 03:06:39 AM »

does anyone think that the song "rock 'n' roll music" was a hit, in part because of the fuzzy MOOG sound?

While obviously the "love you" album wasn't a hit despite having that sound all over it, the songs were probably just too weird and there was no record company support. But one year earlier, not only was "rock 'n' roll music" a famous cover and the bicentennial during a patriotic time, but I suspect the slightly modern twist that BW gave to it could be what helped the song become a hit.

On the other hand, it's also possible that it became a hit in spite of that sound. What does everyone think?

I'm pretty sure there are more factors than just one for RNRM becoming the big hit. First, there was a lot of promotion, namely the Brian's back campaign. Everyone was eager to hear new Brian produced BBs material. Second, the song is a beloved and great Chuck Berry tune. Third, the single version is a cool, rocking track. Looking at what would shortly after that happen in terms of punk, this record is actually quite a relevant record, although being an oldie by a group that already existed 15 years at this point.
But in the end, just a great and fun record! Forget the album version, though

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 07:12:15 AM »

I truly do not know why the single mix of Rock And Roll Music wasn't used on 15BO. The single has so much energy- largely due to the Moog and Dennis' drumming- both of which are almost completely mixed out on the album version. The album version lacks all of the life that made the single version a hit. The single version is in my top 10 BBs songs, and the album version is almost unbearable. The single mix is so fucking badass. Love the Moog and compression.

15BO features some of Brian's best backing tracks. Blueberry Hill, Just Once In My Life, Palisades Park, and In The Still Of The Night feature breathtaking tracks. Great layers of guitars, keys, synthesizers... The vocals are dodgy, but the tracks are out of this world.

I think Brian's Moog sound found in the "Brian's Back" era was awesome. Such a fat, monster tone. Makes the whole track come alive. 
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 08:40:07 AM »

I wouldn’t say Smiley Smile is underproduced so much, as that was the aesthetic Brian was going for. Hearing the backing tracks and works in progress in stereo was a revelation.
Comparing Brian's original Smile mixes with the Smiley Smile version of "Heroes and Villains", Al Jardine called it "a pale facsimile ... Brian re-invented the song for this record ... He purposefully under-produced the song.”
there’s also a quote from Carl I believe, where he says, “this album wasn’t produced, merely recorded.”

Thats the original mono mix, which is superior to the stereo mix. Every other album I prefer stereo, but this one’s different. The mono is so DIY, and sounds almost like it wasn’t meant to be recorded. The stereo mix is so digital and clean that it removes all the charm of the album for me. They removed every pop, crackle, background sound, pretty much anything that made this album unique. The stereo just sounds so sterile.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx