gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:11:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New interview with Al Jardine including some 2021 reunion talk  (Read 10467 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2020, 03:25:19 AM »

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of "no crowds"/"no events" for 12-18 months.  Perhaps an effective treatment will be developed soon. And even if it's not, at what point do a majority (or at least a substantial minority) of folks just say, "Ah, screw it. We're tired of living this way, so let's llve our lives & take our chances"?

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2020, 03:57:02 AM »

I think the Legendary OSD said it perfectly above. Could not agree with him more
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2020, 08:45:59 AM »

The band known as "The BBs" played only a handful of additional shows after that horrendous pro-hunting/Trump fellatio exercise that Mike undertook in Februrary.  Obviously I hope this pandemic is not much longer in duration, but who knows how long this will all go on for. Point being, especially at the age of those guys are at, they should play every show like it's their last, and not do legacy-tarnashing actions like that. I mean, that's always the case, but *especially* at their age.

Can anyone imagine if such a reprehensible show had been the final show to the career of a band called The Beach Boys? A truly, truly horrifying thought. The legacy is precious, and as this pandemic has reinforced for everyone, life is precious. Killing animals is most likely what started this pandemic in the first place. I'm also shaking my damn head that a 79-year-old man couldn't be bothered to have the ethics or morals to do the right thing.

Other than 1983 or 1998, 2020 will definitely be the most infamous year in terms of touring in the band's legacy. Most shows canceled and the only really memorable show from the few that were played was played for the most despicable of despicable reasons, which even got fans (and official band members) across the aisle to revolt.

Anyway, Mike's behavior sucks, to be kindly, and I feel confident it is the reason why we don't have a heartwarming BBs reunion from different BBs members' homes happening right about now, the way the band the Rolling Stones reunited. But, Mr. "I'd like to see the Mop Tops match that" got Donald Trump Jr. bonus points in his back pocket, so it must all be worth it for him. Schmuck.

The sad thing is that Trump-lovin' Mike probably is sitting at home today, glad he played that show since this year will be a low-income year, because he got (blood) money while the gettin' was good.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:34:19 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »

I googled the whole Mike and Trump trophy hunting thing to get more info on it and as expected, everything I read (except Brian and Al condemning him publicly, right on) infuriated me to no end. Especially Mike’s statement about how “Trump has been good to us”, which I responded by screaming with fury and disgust at my iPad screen. I’ll not repeat it here, because this is not the place to talk politics. This is a place to talk about my favorite band, The Beach Boys. Each member added something indispensable to this band we all adore. Each one. I’ve had a laugh or two at Mike’s expense in the past (particularly in the hilarious Weirdest Mike Love Photo You Can Find thread, which I really miss, by the way) but I’ve tried to have a cool head about his antics. No more. I’m done with his bull$#!%. DONE.

I’m sorry. Carry on.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:06:46 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2020, 10:08:16 AM »

I wouldn't be opposed to the band reuniting to do something together, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  These guys are all pushing 80, and Brian Wilson specifically seems like he might be in declining health.  Factor in the never-ending dysfunction and another major tour might not be realistic. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2020, 10:27:08 AM »

I googled the whole Mike and Trump trophy hunting thing to get more info on it and as expected, everything I read (except Brian and Al condemning him publicly, right on) infuriated me to no end. Especially Mike’s statement about how “Trump has been good to us”, which I responded by screaming with fury and disgust at my iPad screen. I’ll not repeat it here, because this is not the place to talk politics. This is a place to talk about my favorite band, The Beach Boys. Each member added something indispensable to this band we all adore. Each one. I’ve had a laugh or two at Mike’s expense in the past (particularly in the hilarious Weirdest Mike Love Photo You Can Find thread, which I really miss, by the way) but I’ve tried to have a cool head about his antics. No more. I’m done with his bull$#!%. DONE.

I’m sorry. Carry on.

I agree in general with what you're saying, the only thing I'll add is that I'm speaking of the show and Mike's Trump adulation only in terms of how I think it will affect the legacy of the band, which is why I see it as an on-topic discussion (with some obviously opinionated spin sprinkled in, because it's pretty much impossible not to). Wasn't meant to be some random political tirade unrelated to the band. But anyway, yeah I get it.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2020, 11:08:35 AM »

That’s been the biggest stumbling blocks with me appreciating Mike in the past - how often he has gone out of his way to tarnish the legacy and reputation of the band, which I think is precious. Their music will far outlive them, but how the band is viewed by the general public will always get in the way of making new, serious, adoring fans of that wonderful music. I’m not about to stand here and tell you Mike is alone in doing this. The Beach Boys themselves as a unit generally have stomped on their legacy and rep in the past. But Mike’s efforts go a far more than a step beyond. When this darkness ceases, assuming he isn’t too damn old to even get onstage, Mike will find other ways to make us fans and even his own former bandmates cringe. He’s not done yet.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »

I’m sorry. Carry on.

Could not agree with you anymore than I do already

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2020, 12:05:19 PM »

I had completely forgotten about the trophy hunting thing until you guys brought it up.

So why is it we want Brian and Al to reunite with Satan and Son of Satan?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »

The one factor that might warm *specifically* Mike to do some sort of reunion thing is that he's likely off the road for the rest of the year. Not only is this likely making him go stir crazy, it also means *no revenue* coming in.

It probably wouldn't be that hard to just pass around some outtake TWGMTR backing tracks, and perhaps some of whatever Mike has in the can, and make another "Beach Boys" album. I'm not saying this is likely to happen.

What a weird bunch of guys. They're all near 80 and you'd think they'd be more likely to do stuff at home/in the studio than be on the road. Yet, when all the tours are canceled, *then* we get mostly radio silence. We've had five minutes of smartphone video of Brian via Rolling Stone, and Mike re-purposing an "Unleash the Love" track with some overdubs for an online event.

I get it, the "rock star at home playing an acoustic guitar on Instagram inside his giant house" thing is pretty common online right now, and if not executed well can lead (rightly or wrongly) to internet scorn and ridicule (e.g. that celebrity "Imagine" video), but "Pandemic Prompts Beach Boys Reunion Album" would certainly be some good PR for the guys, especially in light of the end of C50 and the trophy hunting stuff. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2020, 03:28:18 PM »

I don't know if this article ever found its way here...but I grabbed this off one of the BB FB groups I'm on (can't remember which one):

https://kixi.com/the-beach-boys-mike-love-says-hes-open-to-a-60th-anniversary-reunion-tour-with-brian-wilson-al-jardine/?fbclid=IwAR3bkXVsh3s7L4G-mrnXsIlK7L_WKjqWYEELO40NfmptfrRBXNj--541MnI
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2020, 04:34:27 PM »

I don't know if this article ever found its way here...but I grabbed this off one of the BB FB groups I'm on (can't remember which one):

https://kixi.com/the-beach-boys-mike-love-says-hes-open-to-a-60th-anniversary-reunion-tour-with-brian-wilson-al-jardine/?fbclid=IwAR3bkXVsh3s7L4G-mrnXsIlK7L_WKjqWYEELO40NfmptfrRBXNj--541MnI

Great to hear Mike is open to it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2020, 08:12:28 PM »

I don't care about another reunion tour. Seeing Bruce doing nothing makes me kinda sad.
But another BB album would be great. Even if they have to record their songs separately. 
And if it's the last album of their career, they should include David and also Blondie for a song or two. Maybe even Ricky, wherever he is these days... But David and Blondie are always a welcome addition to anything.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2020, 02:14:18 AM »

I don't need them to do another reunion tour. I've seen Brian several times and that's good enough for me. Would love to hear Brian and Alan come up with some new music. Doesn't have to be a big production, just some nice happy or melancholy songs about stuff that they feel they have something to say about at this point.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2020, 02:51:57 AM »

After Mike's most recent actions I wish Brian to never work with him again. I'd love to see a a big tour with Brian, Al, Blondie and add in David and Ricky too if they can make it. Mike's voice has been going downhill fast the last few years and Bruce doesn't do much on stage. There's really no point in my mind to collide those two bands anymore. Mike's band really has no assets for that matter.

The ultimately greatest thing would be if Brian and Al would take The Beach Boys name away from Mike and do a tour without him, with the name and all. They have Matt and Brian's great band. They don't need Mike and Bruce for anything.

Mike's statements throughout the last 5 years or so about Brian and, for example No Pier Pressure, have been degrading. It's pretty funny that a guy who produces horrendous sounding super-autotuned music who nobody cares about, mocks Brian's solo albums (which Mike has done all the way back starting with the first self-titled one in 88). It's just funny but sad the same time. Nobody needs that power-greedy egomaniac around. 
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2020, 06:49:56 AM »

After Mike's most recent actions I wish Brian to never work with him again. I'd love to see a a big tour with Brian, Al, Blondie and add in David and Ricky too if they can make it. Mike's voice has been going downhill fast the last few years and Bruce doesn't do much on stage. There's really no point in my mind to collide those two bands anymore. Mike's band really has no assets for that matter.

The ultimately greatest thing would be if Brian and Al would take The Beach Boys name away from Mike and do a tour without him, with the name and all. They have Matt and Brian's great band. They don't need Mike and Bruce for anything.
Well they have Scott Totten and John Cowsill; it'd be nice if they jumped ship if such a tour happened. Not that I think it'd happen, but didn't part of Mike's band attend Brian and Al's Beacon show?  I thought it was funny that Bruce attended too; the man claimed back in 2007(?) that he missed Brian and Al, but then he stays with Mike after everything broke down in September 2012.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2020, 07:46:59 AM »

Bruce has the easiest gig in music; likely very well paid, for little to any real work....0ther than constantly being on the road. He will never kill the cash cow(ML).
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2020, 09:17:58 AM »

Bruce has the easiest gig in music; likely very well paid, for little to any real work....0ther than constantly being on the road. He will never kill the cash cow(ML).

Mike Love's book has a funny (and possibly true? who knows) anecdote about Bruce's hiring in 1965.  According to ML, Bruce was making $87 a week as a staff producer at Columbia.  When Carl asked him how much wanted to perform with the group, Bruce told him $250.  He meant per week, but Carl assumed that he meant per show and paid him as such.  Well, with the group playing a dozen shows over 3 weeks, Bruce was shocked to receive a $3,000 check.  And the rest is history.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2020, 09:29:50 AM »

Mike Love's book has a funny (and possibly true? who knows) anecdote about Bruce's hiring in 1965.  According to ML, Bruce was making $87 a week as a staff producer at Columbia.  When Carl asked him how much wanted to perform with the group, Bruce told him $250.  He meant per week, but Carl assumed that he meant per show and paid him as such.  Well, with the group playing a dozen shows over 3 weeks, Bruce was shocked to receive a $3,000 check.  And the rest is history.

Wonder if he's still on that contract? If he sold up his shares in the 70s, then... Wink
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2020, 11:20:46 AM »

How much did that compare to the rest of the band?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2020, 01:11:48 PM »

To be 100% upfront and blunt about it, Brian at this stage isn't in any condition to tour, apart from maybe a few "one off" shows like he did back in the 70's and 80's. A new "Beach Boys" album would be interesting, but the chances of things going south are almost to high for such a project to be worth it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2020, 05:00:23 PM »

To be 100% upfront and blunt about it, Brian at this stage isn't in any condition to tour, apart from maybe a few "one off" shows like he did back in the 70's and 80's. A new "Beach Boys" album would be interesting, but the chances of things going south are almost to high for such a project to be worth it.
Thank you for a bit of reality. Mike is a road dog, and as soon as it's okay to gather large groups of people, he'll be back out there. He gives the people what they want year after year, and he's got a great group around him.
Brian is a completely different person. He always thrived in the creative atmosphere of the studio, but as a solo artist, his albums haven't exactly burned up the charts, so he goes on the road every year. People worship and adore him; his band is so good that it kind of masks whatever deficiencies Brian has as a live performer now. If he really has grown weary of traveling and performing, now is a good time to quietly leave the spotlight.
Al apparently can't get the higher profile bookings that Mike or Brian get, but maybe that's a good thing. I think it would be awesome to see him in the type of venue I saw Carl on his solo tours back in the 80's. I might even get a chance to NOT shake his hand, lol...but at least thank him for all the years of great music.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2020, 05:17:00 PM »

I think it would be awesome to see him in the type of venue I saw Carl on his solo tours back in the 80's. I might even get a chance to NOT shake his hand, lol...but at least thank him for all the years of great music.

Al's solo shows are pretty cool!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2020, 08:55:10 PM »

It's all speculative at this point.  We don't know what the covid19 situation will be like in 2021.  We don't know what Brian's health will be like.  Heck, we don't know what Al's or Mike's or anyone's health will be like either.  

With that said, if the three corporate members want to do a show or shows together as a 60th anniversary "last hurrah," I say why not? It doesn't have to be a big tour.  It could be a tour of 20-30 shows that Al mentions.  Heck, it could be 2-3 shows at the Hollywood Bowl with Brian not even be "touring," just commuting from home.  I'd go see it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 08:56:04 PM by juggler » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2020, 09:29:56 PM »

Gotta disagree a bit. We don’t know how Brian is doing right now compared to last year, and he looked sounded pretty damn good in that Rolling Stone segment . Really good, actually. A year out though they all could be in decline. We honestly don’t know. I do think there should be a final album together for all of them , one last tour, and then afterwards enjoy the autumn years and the fruits of their labors. Finish off the legacy on a high note.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx