gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:32:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New interview with Al Jardine including some 2021 reunion talk  (Read 10465 times)
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2020, 08:14:51 PM »

Good interview with Al, including some reunion talk. He's always the one that breaks reunion talk first! http://chicagoconcertreviews.com/2020/03/04/al-jardine-beach-boys/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:35:44 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 08:21:32 PM »

Says they’ll play “20-30” shows next year. Interesting...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 10:13:39 PM »

Gotta love Al.  He's always the first to break any significant BB news. 

I for one hope these 60th anniversary shows really do happen, and will likely try to attend if they do.  It likely would be the last hurrah, as Mike/Brian/Al would be all be pushing 90 for the 70th anniversary.

Hope this darned virus is no longer an issue next year...

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 10:32:04 PM »

Seriously hope it happens, I'll be there

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 04:10:03 AM »

I’ve got a Carl Wilson song I’d like to finish too. There’s a couple of songs that we never released that he sang on that I think should be finished.

Shocked
Is he talking about yet another song? "Don't fight the sea" turned out such a great thing and "Waves of love" is charming as well.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 05:13:24 AM »

Probably talking about waves of love as at least one of those songs. I actually really like that song I think both All n Carl do a nice job on it and the music is pretty cool too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 08:15:14 AM »

I can see it now

ML :Hey Brian lets get in a room with just a piano like in the old days and write a hit
BW: Can’t. Coronavirus.
ML: But Brian that was last year
BW:Coronavirus
(Bruce adjusts face mask nervously)
ML: But Bri-
BW: CORONAVIRUS!!!

Reunion ends, Mike and Bruce give interview with Rolling Stone saying it “felt like being quarantined “ then tour with Eric Clapton.

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 10:22:25 AM »

Amazing that that interview has been online seemingly since the 4th of March and it's only been picked up here nearly 2 months later

I can see it now

ML :Hey Brian lets get in a room with just a piano like in the old days and write a hit

Reunion ends, Mike and Bruce give interview with Rolling Stone saying it “felt like being quarantined “ then tour with Eric Clapton.

LOL

Mike: See, I wrote the words "I'm picking up Coronavirus, I like Norton Anti-Virus"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 10:53:15 AM »

LOL

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 01:50:51 PM »

I can't see a reunion happening in the current climate. A lot of tours are being cancelled or postponed. Yes, we would all love for this virus to go away, disappear. Some of us might even be swallowing Lysol now!
I know we chuckle at the thought of a 70th anniversary reunion, but I remember when the thought of a rock and roll band being together for 25 years seemed crazy. "A bunch of bald headed or gray haired guys in their 40's singing about school, surfing, cars, and girls in bikinis....how pathetic!"
If some of the guys are still around in another 10 years, if covid-19 hasn't completed wiped us all out.....yes, it will happen.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 09:13:47 PM »

I know Mike has said he will continue for as long as he can, and that’s fine, but I do think the stars could be aligning for some kind of closure. Bruce will be 79 next year and does he really want to be touring the same tired circuit to ever decreasing numbers? Maybe he wants out. Perhaps it’s time the name is retired and Mike tours solo if he wants to. It would certainly be cheaper for him with no BRI to pay. Let any member still wanting to play (Mike, Al, Brian, even Bruce and Dave) use ‘... of the Beach Boys’ in any tour publicity at no charge and be done with it. They have all earned it.
Brian’s health is certainly declining (and that’s being polite) and deserves to see out his days as he sees fit. While not agreeing with a C60 concept, if they have to do it again I say market it as a ‘Farewell Brian’ limited tour and let it rest.

However it plays out I’ll watch with interest from the wings but will sit this dance out.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 11:20:46 PM »

Amazing that that interview has been online seemingly since the 4th of March and it's only been picked up here nearly 2 months later

I can see it now

LOL

Mike: See, I wrote the words "I'm picking up Coronavirus, I like Norton Anti-Virus"

Only took him five minutes to write that!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 11:36:57 PM »

Brian’s health is certainly declining (and that’s being polite) and deserves to see out his days as he sees fit. While not agreeing with a C60 concept, if they have to do it again I say market it as a ‘Farewell Brian’ limited tour and let it rest..

He’s almost 80. He looks like he’s almost 80. Don’t get the shovel yet, Pretty Funky. We’re lucky he’s still here at all.

I personally don’t want another tour though. Let Brian rest, I agree. Just not In Peace. Not for a long time, I sincerely hope.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:37:27 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 11:53:22 AM »

I love those guys – all of them.

If they want to do a 60th anniversary tour, and Brian and Mike can get along long enough to do a couple of dozen shows, I say let's Do It Again.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 12:23:46 PM »

I wish I had Brian's head of hair Sad

2021 is long enough for virus concerns to possibly go away (here's hoping) and for a bit of musical personal training to take place, where desired...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 12:24:26 PM by UEF » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 01:06:41 PM »

You & me both, man.   Dude has tremendous hair for a guy pushing 80.   Amazing.  What were in all those Radiant Radish vitamins?  LOL

Must be a Korthof thing.  Brian has a better hairline at ~78 than Murry did at 50.  And, of course, the follicular challenges of Glee Wilson's boys are well known.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:07:07 PM by juggler » Logged
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 01:36:49 PM »

I’m going to be 41 in July and I’m happy to say I still have it all, unlike some of my fellow Gen X/Y/whatever peeps. ‘Course it doesn’t help that I look 25. I hope I have a full head of hair like Bri when I reach his age, I wouldn’t care if it’s all silver or white. Baldness is hereditary through your mother’s side I think so that would make sense that Glee’s boys are losing it while Brian still has it, and if they were still alive, so would Denny and Carl.

Anyway.

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 06:12:36 PM »

A) Me too.
B) Alternately, I wish I looked like Jan Berry.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 06:20:50 PM »

I wish I looked like Dennis Wilson. That I could conduct the ecstatic screams of women with the wave of my hair.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 06:30:20 PM »

I know Mike has said he will continue for as long as he can, and that’s fine, but I do think the stars could be aligning for some kind of closure. Bruce will be 79 next year and does he really want to be touring the same tired circuit to ever decreasing numbers? Maybe he wants out. Perhaps it’s time the name is retired and Mike tours solo if he wants to. It would certainly be cheaper for him with no BRI to pay. Let any member still wanting to play (Mike, Al, Brian, even Bruce and Dave) use ‘... of the Beach Boys’ in any tour publicity at no charge and be done with it. They have all earned it.
Brian’s health is certainly declining (and that’s being polite) and deserves to see out his days as he sees fit. While not agreeing with a C60 concept, if they have to do it again I say market it as a ‘Farewell Brian’ limited tour and let it rest.

However it plays out I’ll watch with interest from the wings but will sit this dance out.

No matter what happens, I think one thing is certain: Mike Love has every intention of taking the name "The Beach Boys" to the grave with him. He's not letting go of that touring license under any circumstances.

I'd love for this to happen. 2012 was a magical year in The Beach Boys world, regardless of how it ended. The legacy deserves it.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 07:00:03 PM »

Personally, I don't care if they get back together again or not. Quite honestly, it would be a hypocritical mess with Mike Love demanding this or that or the other thing that would satisfy that clown. Mike has had his time with Brian and the others. Let him fade into obscurity with nutty Bruce and long may his legacy be as rotten in the future as it is now. Much to his chagrin, he'll go down as a plague, virus or pockmark on that legacy that he worked so hard to deserve.  Evil

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 08:24:50 PM »

No matter what happens, I think one thing is certain: Mike Love has every intention of taking the name "The Beach Boys" to the grave with him. He's not letting go of that touring license under any circumstances.

I'd love for this to happen. 2012 was a magical year in The Beach Boys world, regardless of how it ended. The legacy deserves it.

Then more fool him.  I recall he pays a set percentage then an amount over and above that depending on the income which this year may be zilch, and possibly next year. I wonder if he negotiated a ‘in the event of a pandemic’ clause back in 1998? If he is having to pay BRI whether he tours or not I feel sooo sorry for the guy. 🤞😂
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:25:56 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2020, 08:57:18 PM »

Then more fool him.  I recall he pays a set percentage then an amount over and above that depending on the income which this year may be zilch, and possibly next year. I wonder if he negotiated a ‘in the event of a pandemic’ clause back in 1998? If he is having to pay BRI whether he tours or not I feel sooo sorry for the guy. 🤞😂

Per various lawsuit information on the internet, ML's original license "required a royalty of 20 percent of the first $1 million and 17.5 percent of receipts thereafter."  Mike's recent autobiography states it a bit differently.  He doesn't mention the 20% of the first $1,000,000 but rather just the 17.5 percent royalty and, according to his book, the royalty is based on touring revenue after expenses for lighting and sound.

In short, it would appear that ML doesn't pay BRI any royalty unless he's actually touring. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 12:02:23 AM »

What if Mike finds himself actually enjoying this enforced time off? Do you think there's a chance he may decide to pursue a more leisurely schedule once things return to normal (whatever that is)?
I also hope that Brian is enjoying his time off, and finding that, actually it's okay to be at home with the missus and the kids. I hope they enjoy having daddy around.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 03:06:24 AM »

That will be the case for a few artists I think. If the talk of immunisation in 12-18 months is correct then the likelihood of fans wanting to gather in venues holding several thousand for the next 2 US/ UK touring seasons is unlikely.

My son is a huge Springsteen fan and he said the boss has always liked the thought of going quietly. This might be his out.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx