gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:26:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: is there a definitive bass list for David, Al and Brian during the 60's?  (Read 7502 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2020, 09:12:43 AM »

Al played a modest amount from Sunflower to Holland, didn't he? Not that I can think of much outside of his own songs but he seemed more active instrumentally. Then of course Come Go With Me, and later MIU. It's pretty strange that Carl and Dennis were playing all over 15 Big Ones and Love You but Al basically only turned up for vocals, and in the case of 15BO quite a bit more than them on that end.

I think that's likely due to proximity - Al lived in Big Sur by then, whereas Dennis and Carl were still in the L.A. area. I'm guessing Al was in town whenever needed for vocal sessions, but didn't worry abut being there for the instrumental tracking, unless it was his song.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2020, 09:17:57 AM »

Al played a modest amount from Sunflower to Holland, didn't he? Not that I can think of much outside of his own songs but he seemed more active instrumentally. Then of course Come Go With Me, and later MIU. It's pretty strange that Carl and Dennis were playing all over 15 Big Ones and Love You but Al basically only turned up for vocals, and in the case of 15BO quite a bit more than them on that end.

I think that's likely due to proximity - Al lived in Big Sur by then, whereas Dennis and Carl were still in the L.A. area. I'm guessing Al was in town whenever needed for vocal sessions, but didn't worry abut being there for the instrumental tracking, unless it was his song.

Very interesting. During the period when the band owned Brother Studio, where exactly in town was everyone living? I'm wondering how many minutes it would've taken them to get there if they had the inclination to record on a whim. Did Dennis actually have a residence in Santa Monica or nearby? And how about the others?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 09:18:49 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2020, 09:19:12 AM »

Very interesting. During the period when the band owned Brother Studio, where exactly in town was everyone living? I'm wondering how many minutes it would've taken them to get there if they had the inclination to record on a whim. Did Dennis actually have a residence in Santa Monica or nearby? And how about the others?
Dennis lived on his yacht the Harmony in Marina Del Rey for much of that period, just minutes from Santa Monica. He also had residences in Malibu and Venice that overlapped that period. But you could say he virtually lived in the studio on and off as well.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2020, 04:47:37 PM »

One of the reasons I enjoy 15BO so much is the presence of BBs on backing tracks. I'd say there's just as much interesting Moog stuff going on, on 15BO as Love You, it's just more subtle.

A definitive list, in one source, of all musicians and technicians involved would be very cool. Of course, I understand it's easy to wish for that--- much harder to get it printed. I respect all the work C Man does along these lines.

It's quite obvious over the nearly 60 year career The BBs have had that is Al is self conscious of his instrumental ability. That's why the heavy lifting went more and more to others. Though, since C50 his guitar has been very audible, in shows I've seen in 2015, 2017, and 2019. And he's obviously doing almost all of the guitar work in his solo shows now. It's cool that it seems like he's gotten more comfortable and confident with his playing. When I've seen Brian's band play Sail On Sailor, Al plays a co-lead.

He's a tremendous bassist. It sometimes surprises me he didn't become the band's official bassist. He plays so much on 63-65 recordings, and his tone and rhythm are great! Very tight Fender Bass sound. Of course, on the road he played rhythm guitar, leaving the role of bassist open, for Bruce to *sorta* be official bassist, but of course he was playing a lot of keys too as early as 67.

Bruce and Al both would've been competent enough to assume the role full time. Maybe they'd need a little practice for confidence. But they've both proven their chops time and time again.

Very interesting that Carl was so passionate about the bass. It's hard for me to picture him assuming that role full time, as I associate so much of their 1961-1997 sound with Carl's guitar playing. Of course, Ed Carter and others would go on to take some of those lines- especially in the early 80's, but Carl was such a fantastic lead guitarist, playing all those iconic riffs, it wouldn't have made sense to strap him on Fender Bass, in my opinion.

With Mike's inclination to cut costs and save money, I wonder if he's ever asked Bruce to play bass again, he'd need one less member  LOL LOL LOL

Bruce hasn't seemed interest in the bassist (for more than 2-5 songs) since his return to the band in 1979. In a way, it makes sense, as playing bass was never his strong suit. It'd be like if Brian was full time drummer. But at the same time, I think Bruce is a really underrated bassist and could play songs like WIBN with relative ease, and sound good. To think he played that bassline and sang in the harmony stack at the same time, during that 65-66 era when the music was getting more and more complicated, is quite the feat. Bruce is a very talented guy.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2021, 10:40:53 AM »

OK it's from 1970, but HELP is Brian on bass.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 08:30:41 PM »

Say... now that I think about it... who played bass on I’d Love Just Once To See You & How She Boogalooed It? I know the latter only had Carl, Bruce & Brian on the basic track.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2021, 08:53:31 PM »

This info isn't necessarily up-to-the-minute, but it's pretty good for laying out what we know/knew about Wild Honey bass:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25166.0.html
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 08:56:30 PM »

This info isn't necessarily up-to-the-minute, but it's pretty good for laying out what we know/knew about Wild Honey bass:

Thanks! My guesses are that Just Once is Brian, and Boogalooed is Bruce.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2021, 12:14:43 AM »

I'd Love Just Once to See You is both Carl and Brian, Boogalooed is Al.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2021, 04:30:14 AM »

Wait really? So the organ on Boogalooed was on the basic track? Cool! That would put Carl on guitar and Brian on drums!

And for Just Once, I’m Guessing that one of them played bass on the basic track and the other overdubbed another bass. Did Carl play bass on the basic? If so, what did Brian do?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2021, 04:51:33 AM »

Wait really? So the organ on Boogalooed was on the basic track? Cool! That would put Carl on guitar and Brian on drums!

And for Just Once, I’m Guessing that one of them played bass on the basic track and the other overdubbed another bass. Did Carl play bass on the basic? If so, what did Brian do?

Oh no, both were extremely simple - the Boogalooed basic track was just Carl on guitar and Al on bass. Carl might have overdubbed everything else (another electric guitar, acoustic guitar, drum, maracas), besides Bruce's organ. Al's name doesn't appear on the AFM contract but there you go. It's possible/likely that they recorded Mama Says later that same session with all of the group but Dennis present.

I haven't personally heard it, but the I'd Love Just Once to See You tracking was supposedly Carl and Al strumming acoustic guitars with Brian tapping drum sticks together. Carl and Al overdubbed more acoustic guitars to fill out the arpeggio B sections (left blank originally while Brian kept the tempo, as I understand it - could be wrong) and Carl added electric guitar. The dominant picked bass part is Carl, and the duller thumbed bass in the B sections is likely Brian, played simultaneously with an extra Carl acoustic guitar.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:54:56 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2021, 04:55:32 AM »

Oh no, both were extremely simple - the Boogalooed basic track was just Carl on guitar and Al on bass. Carl might have overdubbed everything else (another electric guitar, acoustic guitar, drum, maracas), besides Bruce's organ. Al's name doesn't appear on the AFM contract but there you go. It's possible/likely that they recorded Mama Says later that same session with all of the group but Dennis present.

I haven't personally heard it, but the I'd Love Just Once to See You tracking was supposedly Carl and Al strumming acoustic guitars with Brian tapping drum sticks together. Carl and Al overdubbed more acoustic guitars to fill out the arpeggio B sections (left blank originally while Brian kept the tempo, as I understand it - could be wrong) and Carl added electric guitar. The dominant picked bass part is Carl, and the duller thumbed bass in the B sections is likely Brian, sharing a track with an extra Carl acoustic rhythm guitar.

Hmmmm... would Brian have produced from the booth then at the basic tracking session? That would make sense to me.

There’s a lot about the Wild Honey sessions that we probably still don’t know. It doesn’t help that every single member is listed on the afm contracts.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2021, 04:57:24 AM »

Hmmmm... would Brian have produced from the booth then at the basic tracking session? That would make sense to me.

He's not audible, no, but then I haven't heard all of it. He was at least in the building at the time.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2021, 04:59:15 AM »

He's not audible, no, but then I haven't heard all of it. He was at least in the building at the time.

That’s strange. Listed on the basic track and didn’t do ANYTHING? Something’s fishy about this...
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2021, 05:06:16 AM »

That’s strange. Listed on the basic track and didn’t do ANYTHING? Something’s fishy about this...

AFM contracts by that time were largely a formality, not taken too seriously unless a hired musician needed to be paid. The sheet for Cool Water and Here Comes the Night lists all six Beach Boys in spite of no indication that Dennis or Bruce were present. The same's true of a lot of Smiley Smile, whether it's wrongly including or excluding someone. You can't trust them to be accurate when only the group themselves are concerned.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:06:48 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2021, 05:09:27 AM »

AFM contracts by that time were largely a formality, not taken too seriously unless a hired musician needed to be paid. The sheet for Cool Water and Here Comes the Night lists all six Beach Boys in spite of no indication that Dennis or Bruce were present. The same's true of a lot of Smiley Smile, whether it's wrongly including or excluding someone. You can't trust them to be accurate when only the group themselves are concerned.

Wait... Dennis didn’t drum on the original version of HCTN? Then who did??
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2021, 05:11:23 AM »

Probably either Brian or Carl. Or it could've been added by Dennis, but it's only a single deadened snare drum, whacked on 2 and 4 constantly.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2021, 05:16:14 AM »

Probably either Brian or Carl. Or it could've been added by Dennis, but it's only a single deadened snare drum, whacked on 2 and 4 constantly.

Well in that case it might be Brian. Very similar to his drum work on ‘Til I Die & Let Us Go On This Way.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2021, 12:03:59 PM »

Oooh I know another one to add to the Brian on bass list. I’m In Great Shape (it’s been ten years but still).
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2021, 06:31:33 PM »

Ooohh more Brian songs (again people already knew this): Sandy.

Do It Again

You’re As Cool As Can Be 2

I’d Love Just Once To See You (with Carl, and Carl’s the more prominent bass here)

And possibly Games Two Can Play.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 06:32:02 PM by nts and the drum » Logged
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2021, 06:33:00 PM »

Al on Boogalooed.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx